It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vehicles for solar damage or emp strikes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I was wondering if someone can confirm for me that a vehicle with elactronics equipment will be rendered useless if one of these takes place. Also I was told that older model vehicles with just gas engines would survive these threats more than likely?? If so does the battery need to be disconnected at time of event to ensure no failure? If so, I have a 98 expedition with a 5.4-4x4,leather ,power everything, cold ac,3rd row seating and multi disc cd changer for trade in Eastern NC ASAP!!!
Looking for 4x4 prefer a ford or suburban running well and ready to drive.
Thanks for help in advance.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by earthart

Just have a bicycle handy just in case

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by earthart

Hope this helps
www.futurescience.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

The members above me have provided great answers!

Personal Disclosure: The OP may be intersted in Compressed Air Car [wiki] .

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
We are screwed if we are within the impact zone of an EMP. Even your watches will stop working, your car will be fried. I kind of wish it would just happen...we are all too dependant on all this electronic stuff any ways. Also, if the elite were to lose control of their power grid they would have less of a strangle hold upon us.

That's just my theory.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rabbi4Peace

What about all them Nuclear plants that go boom if we got hit with a big enough Solar Flare? I like the idea of going back to the 1800's...Just not with Cancer n shizz lol

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rabbi4Peace
We are screwed if we are within the impact zone of an EMP. Even your watches will stop working, your car will be fried. I kind of wish it would just happen...we are all too dependant on all this electronic stuff any ways. Also, if the elite were to lose control of their power grid they would have less of a strangle hold upon us.

That's just my theory.

What's a watch? Haven't worn one for years and years. We work on "I think it's time to go now" theory. Seems to work.
I gave up working on my own car once computers were introduced to the engines. And I think the newer cars, like those with computers aiding the engine are going to stop working. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on say an old FB holden.
While on the topic, can someone give correct info on how a stand alone solar panel and battery system will handle it and if there is a way of making sure it still works AFTER an emp or the like please?
Regards

Steve
PS good questions OP

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The best internal combustion type vehicle in MO is a diesel with a de-compression lever and hand crank.
This has no vulnerable electronics and with a little ingenuity you can make your own fuel.
Or/and a pushbike.

Peace

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
get used to walking ... when everything goes pear shaped fuel supplies will run out leaving you with a nice lawn ornament ... on foot can get further and to places vehicles cant go , less chance of detection on foot ... far better chance of surviving travelling by foot

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
at best few cars will be knocked out by EMP.
there have been some test that showed many cars still ran after being exposed to a EMP

The U.S. EMP Commission tested a number of cars and trucks.
Those vehicles were tested up to the level that some sort of upset occurred, then further testing was stopped on that vehicle. In most cases, after the initial upset occurred, the vehicle could be restarted. In most of the remaining cases where the vehicle could not be immediately restarted, a latch-up had occurred in the electronics, and the battery could be momentarily disconnected to "re-boot" the electronics, and the vehicle could then be restarted. (This temporary failure mode caused by EMP is something that almost never occurs in automobiles during a typical lifetime of operation.) Only one of the vehicles tested could not be restarted after some minor work, and had to be towed to the shop for repairs.

remember to "re-boot" the electronics, after a EMP attack. i don't believe a solar EMP would ever be strong enough to affect cars. cars do not have the antenna area to collect much of the pulse.
the power grid does have a massive antenna area and would be totaled.

In many cars i would cost you around $200 to buy a spare engine computer and store it in a grounded 20mm ammo can just in case. this would allow you to drive till you ran out of gas. because of the large antenna area of the power grid in the US likely the gas stations would be unable to pump fuel till the grid was repaired.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Remember also that to avoid any damage from an EMP you need to have the items in a Faraday cage. A shipping container that has been earthed properly is a Faraday cage. Many sheds and garages sold in Australia are made from sheet steel on a steel frame, these are also grounded.

It also seems to me that the car is an isolated small metal object. It is insulated from ground by the tyres. I am not convinced an EMP would harm it.

Put all this together and you decide. Lots of cars will still be working after an EMP.

P

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I would probably make a bike out of wood and rocks, because when SHTF everyone is going to be crazy and i don't want to go around town with a rape me sign on my forehead with my shiny working car or flashy bike. The best thing you could do in the situation of an EMP is to have a shovel and some loyal disciples. Together you could all dig holes and form a new America underground free from tyranny and big government. With the power you now possesses you could selectively breed your friends and create a race of super people to take the world back.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

edit on 13-7-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I have the perfect emp mobile,
Its 4x4 and has wheels that are 5 ft high....
Its a Cark 666 line skidder i picked up for a song.....
Its got a 2 cycle diesel in it...and im thinkin its pretty impervious to any EMP.....
It could riun on cooking oil, or fish oil or canola oil or just about any free running combustable.....
best thing of all, nothing short of a APC or tank can stop it.......
All i need now is a Vulcan cannon pod for the roof......any ideas?

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
A lot of factors to contemplate. Especially since it's mostly theory. I've read a lot of articles from "experts" (people with 50 cent name phd's) to ground or not to ground cages. I've also thought about other factors; proximity to ground zero, line of sight to it (earth blinds, housing, type of vehicle/electronics, the state they're in (on/off, connected to something else). One thing I've thought about is, vehicles after '74-'76 is when detroit incorporated the electronic ignition system. I think that between fuel injection and ignition systems anything before/without would stand a much better chance side by side. I don't know if jeep made any diesel engines for the WW2 era vehicles but if they did you could put a snorkel and a bio fuel adapter and have a pretty rigorous ride.

top topics

join