It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God contradict himself?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
There is a claim that God is sinless perfection, but I can't see it or believe. This is one problem I have with the concept.

According to the Catholic Church, there are Seven Deadly Sins:

Lust, Wrath, Sloth, Greed, Envy Gluttony and Pride.

And if any human being engages in these behaviors, he is sinning.

But it can be argued that God is a sinner.

God is angry, wrathful, greedy, and envious. He must be because if he did he wouldn't have done these things:

He demands that every single person in the world be converted to Christianity and demands that all human beings, each and every single one, obey him and follow his rules. All seven billion of them. If that's not greed, I don't know what is.

One of his commandments is Thou shalt have no other Gods before me, for I am a jealous God.

And he gets angry if people don't worship him or follow his rules.

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Which means that in that condemnation, an unbeliever is sent to hell to be tortured for all eternity.

I am sorry, but I cannot believe that that is an act of love. Christians will always try to spin it as one, but it can't be.

God is wrathful.

He destroys Sodom And Gomorrah, sends the plagues to Egypt, and floods the entire world for not doing as he says.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see these as sinless perfection. So I see this as a huge contradiction. If he is indeed sinless perfection, then he does not cause wonton destruction at his whim. This is an act of malevolence, not a kind and loving god.

A kind and loving God does not commit acts of evil, nor does he or she permit acts of evil and protects the followers from it.

But Christians will argue that these actions are not sin, and that God is fully justified in these acts. It's ONLY a sin when humans do these things.

In short, Christians will argue that God can do no wrong, no matter what, and that any action, no matter how vile, is not a crime unto humanity and is fully justified and righteous for God to do.

And that is one attitude that turns me off of Christianity.

edit on 14-7-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: fixed really bad grammar

I like your argument, Some parts seem well thought out.

Originally posted by DeyTookErJeobs
Doesn't god say in the bible he created us in our image, another contradiction if you ask me, saying there is more than one god!
edit on 13/7/2012 by DeyTookErJeobs because: (no reason given)

In the book of Enoch (I think) "Our image" refers the The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit. The creations he had already made for the future plans he had.

Akragon, I do think god contradicts himself but i think it's for good reason, So we may interpret for ourselves the best road to take and understanding to take. Just like teaching a child 1+1=2 you have to guide them and know what's best to help them learn. If God does then in my opinion, this is the reason why.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by theChristianatheist

So i believe that is a vote for No...

I've been trying to stay clear of the contradictions in the bible honestly. Which is why i stated there are many within the book in the OP.

Do you know of any "contradictions" in nature?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Akragon, I do think god contradicts himself but i think it's for good reason, So we may interpret for ourselves the best road to take and understanding to take. Just like teaching a child 1+1=2 you have to guide them and know what's best to help them learn. If God does then in my opinion, this is the reason why.

Good answer. If Father laid out all the answers, how could one learn?
edit on 14-7-2012 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76

Good answer. If Father laid out all the answers, how could on learn?

Exactly right. These thousands of years of us learning have brought us culture, medicine, communication and information. Some things didn't make sense like why is the world round and we don't fall off but we soon learned the answers. We always have guidance and it's all there waiting to be learned by our teacher. whatever the methods.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join