It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The jimmy Hendrix prophecy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CallYourBluff

Originally posted by Myendica
Jimi knew what he was talking about. Unfortunately, yes, the psychodelics made it harder for him to convey.. .

Quite the oposite, it made it very easy for him to convey.
edit on 14-7-2012 by CallYourBluff because: missed the n

They just made what he said less valid, which I obvious as many people think it was the drugs doing the talking. If he was not on drugs, they would have said he is mad.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urbanshadow
reply to post by Wifibrains

What puts me off on your OP is that you cannot spell JIMI HENDRIX for starters.
He is quite a hero of mine and has been for years, even though I was too young at the actual time he was around to fully appreciate him

Theres a lot of other good music he sang/played guitar on, if you feel like analysing it for us.

Little Wing
Angel
Castles made of Sand
Voodoo Chile
...to name but a few

Poor Jimi, for all his talent, was high as a kite 90%+ of the time. Go watch Woodstock (for example) and you'll see it for yourself. Electric Ladyland is another shining example of his mind at the time.
edit on 14-7-2012 by Urbanshadow because: ETA more info

maybe it was Jimi that couldnt spell his own name... Considering the common spelling is Jimmy and the actual name usually considered "James".

I never really thought of hendrix as any more special than the who when it comes to talent. I'm a guitar player and Ive been playing since I was a teen. Sure, he did some remarkable stuff in his time that no one else had done...

played a right handed guitar upside down

set his guitar on fire

sang songs that his drummer wrote and threw in some really tossed out banging sounds on a guitar that any 3 year old could make.

But sure, he had a very cool, hip, sound that no one was doing at the time. He took ALOT of acid and smoked copius amounts of pot and who knows what other drugs. There was nothing "right" with this icon of that time. It was just diffrent. Like any other band today... Slipknot, A7X, Megadeth, and many more... All originals, their own sound... But nothing special other than just musicly talented people. Taking anything that any of these guys say as religion or words of wisdom, is like taking words of wisdom from your local drunken bumb who hangs out in front of the quickie mart... Jay and Silent Bob comes to mind. No wisdom there, but damn funny to look and laugh at.

Take away all the hype, he's just a black guy who can play a guitar upside down. Which was cool then, because a) wernt very many black rockers, especially guitar players back then. The few that did come out were icons because of that fact. He was just another Obama or Jindal. The new kid in class that everyone had the hots for... cause he was new.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wifibrains
reply to post by intrptr

Was he a legend just for guitar playing? Or does he's legacy live on because people just "feel" him?

Sorry for the delay. Lead guitar players of that era were the first of their kind. Sort of passing on the torch as it were from the 60s era bands like the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and many others. Up until that time, lead guitar players like Jimi Hendrix didn't yet exist. Born of the "counter culture", theirs was a new sound. Screamin lead guitar was yet unknown and Jimi was the head usher. Born of his example and following close on his heels were others like Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, Carlos Santana, Neal Schon of Journey. Other minor players include Robin Trower, Joe Walsh, Neil Young, Dave Mason, Jeff Beck, Frank Zappa, etc, etc.

All these famous pioneers will tell you in a heart beat that Jimi Hendrix inspired them like no other, before then. And all the sounds of Heavy Metal Gods since owe their roots to his magic on the Fender Stratocaster.

Of course he was reviled by the main stream at the time. And still is. But those who were there at the Monterey Blues Festival and later at Woodstock know differently. Thats where he "exploded" and that is his primary claim to fame.

I think that any reverence for him should confine itself to that in particular. And also a little to his philosophy on life during a time (Vietnam war, Nixon, protests) when it was unpopular to be other than a Patriotic American. The main stream media bashed him, Janis Joplin and John Lennon as anti-American so the legacy he left is in that light that burned so bright and yet so short.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Maybe because you replied RIGHT AFTER my post and I apparently did the same with his name... which isnt an issue. It's just a simple misspelling. To create a responce in refrence to it is just as silly as my responce to you, especially if that alone is the meat of your responce.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by article

I think Jimmi, even though I'm a fan, is a great deal OVERrated.

You must be a legend in you OWN mind.

No, I just dont worship idols... especially when their whole life is built upon "He ate sooo much acid! he must be a mystic". He was a bloody musician. Nothing special when compared to anyone else with a talent.

And yes... I am a Legend in my own mind. Arnt you?

As a musician, I am allowed to critique other musicians, am I not? As a human being, I am allowed the same on any topic or subject, am I not?

The Legend has spoken.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienAgendah

'___' can't kill you, just make you crazy... or sane, depends on how you look at it. It can be the best thing you ever did to yourself... But it is not toxic.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wifibrains

Originally posted by CallYourBluff

Originally posted by Myendica
Jimi knew what he was talking about. Unfortunately, yes, the psychodelics made it harder for him to convey.. .

Quite the oposite, it made it very easy for him to convey.

They just made what he said less valid, which I obvious as many people think it was the drugs doing the talking. If he was not on drugs, they would have said he is mad.

Respectfully beg to differ. He was stoned, yah... everyone was. He was not mad. He lived in maddening times. That whole era of the assassinations of JFK, MLK, RFK. The Vietnam "Conflict", the Hippy counterculture, the riots. Protests by millions of Americans, veterans and students. The insanity of Richard (Tricky Dick) Nixon, censorship, etc.

America was caught in a maelstrom, struggling between new and old identities. Above it all Music was the cream that rose to the top from the chaos. Drug abuse? An escape from it all as well. Who can blame em?

So a beacon shone in the darkness. We called it Rock n' Roll. Here was one of its "Gods". Here was one of his best contributions to the genre.

Take of your shoes, you are on Holy Ground.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
have a read of the cosmic serpent by jonathan narmby some shamemen even use tobacco to get there . have even read that mr j hendrix was tavistock like the beetles & led zepplin how many have sold out for fame just ask the laurel canyon crew .reverse music lennon& macartney one minute cant read or write music the next putting out classic music ? watch the winged bettle then wonder about hendrix a lot of music stars die at that very age strange

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CallYourBluff

You should do more research.

Nuff Said.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineer

'___' can't kill you, just make you crazy... or sane, depends on how you look at it. It can be the best thing you ever did to yourself... But it is not toxic.

Or it can be the worst nightmare of your life.

I once watched a friend fall into tears for stepping on a cricket! A CRICKET! Because the was super emotional from the acid he had took hours earlier.

Even though this wasnt dangerous in the sense that it was only emotion... Over hyped emotion can do some serious damage in other ways.

I shouldnt have to elaborate.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by article

reply to post by article

No, I just dont worship idols... especially when their whole life is built upon "He ate sooo much acid! he must be a mystic". He was a bloody musician. Nothing special when compared to anyone else with a talent.

As a musician, I am allowed to critique other musicians, am I not? As a human being, I am allowed the same on any topic or subject, am I not?

The Legend has spoken.

Yah okay, I can live with that. My comment was addressed to your statement he was "OVERrated". That has to come from either being to young to experience that era, or ignorance of pride. Yah, don't worship any man, yah don't do too much dope ( everybody did). It was as new as a "strat" and a "riff".

When I say rock "GOD" I mean that not as a spiritual thing but rather as an accomplishment and the veneration people had for him. At least back then anyway.

And ask others from then and since who their "inspiration" was to learn the "Geetar". Jimi, hands down. So show some respect and maybe the gods or rock and roll will smile down on you too, "legend".

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Respectfully beg to differ. He was stoned, yah... everyone was. He was not mad. He lived in maddening times. That whole era of the assassinations of JFK, MLK, RFK. The Vietnam "Conflict", the Hippy counterculture, the riots. Protests by millions of Americans, veterans and students. The insanity of Richard (Tricky Dick) Nixon, censorship, etc.

So a beacon shone in the darkness. We called it Rock n' Roll. Here was one of its "Gods". Here was one of his best contributions to the genre. Take of your shoes, you are on Holy Ground.

Right on, and... I know it sounds cocky, but you really had to be there to understand it all, history cannot record most of it accurately...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Back in the 70's spiritual journeys and finding out you are more than thought and feeling lead to awareness past human abilities. I beleive that there is a fabric of creation that crosses over both time and space. In certain altered states whether natural by meditation or artificial like '___', you pick up info from touching the threads of that fabric. Being accurate about what time things will happen is next to impossible with that much info and only close may be achieved. Hard to make out with any true clearity with so much crossover info.

The truth is out there and anything is possible....

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

Was he a legend just for guitar playing? Or does he's legacy live on because people just "feel" him?

Well, Jimi was already gone by the time my son was born and he [my son] definitely 'feels' him. When he visited the rock-n-roll hall of fame he was mesmerized by some [at least one that I recall] of Jimis' writings there. One song in particular-the lyrics really struck him and he told me that he wished so much that Jimi would have actually put that piece out. It bothers him that he doesn't know why, but he seemed almost frustrated. It was because of Jimi H. that my son even picked up the guitar.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avoiceinthewilderness
Back in the 70's spiritual journeys and finding out you are more than thought and feeling lead to awareness past human abilities. I beleive that there is a fabric of creation that crosses over both time and space. In certain altered states whether natural by meditation or artificial like '___', you pick up info from touching the threads of that fabric. Being accurate about what time things will happen is next to impossible with that much info and only close may be achieved. Hard to make out with any true clearity with so much crossover info.

The truth is out there and anything is possible....

Those days were the happiest and also the most frightening times in my life. People today think there is so much doom in the air?, well, you just do not have a clue, this is a picnic compared to the crap that was going down then, but being young, you just had nothing to compare it to.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by article

Oh, trust me, you don't have to elaborate at all... '___' was the best and the worst thing I ever did. The one bad trip I had in 1977 has stayed with me for my entire life. I've talked about it here before and I don't want to get into it again right now, it first made me feel as though I was plugged in and tuned in, but when I had that bad trip ( did a lot of other nasty drugs along with it for some stupid reason) it changed my life. That's been the most defining event in my life, period.

That's what has made me into a raging alcoholic just to try to manage the pain...
edit on 7/14/2012 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineer

Or it can be the worst nightmare of your life.

I once watched a friend fall into tears for stepping on a cricket! A CRICKET! Because the was super emotional from the acid he had took hours earlier.

Even though this wasnt dangerous in the sense that it was only emotion... Over hyped emotion can do some serious damage in other ways.

I shouldnt have to elaborate.

Allow me then ( to elaborate). At the risk of margins about drug abuse. "Acid" shows you yourself. If you didn't like what you saw then yah, that could be uncomfortable (bad trip). The full body rushes and hallucinations were a side show from the real undercurrent: what kind of person are you at heart? A... jerk? Or... not?

When people speak of seeing themselves for the first time... thats acid. When people had a "bad trip" that was because they resisted seeing the truth of their... shortcomings.

I don't know how else to put it other than that. Any one who enjoyed "dropping acid" enjoyed learning the truth about themselves and the world around them. Acid strips away the layers of illusion and deception leaving one feeling small and alone. Some people enjoy that feeling of insignificance and others, those who might be to material or self absorbed, may dread it.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

reply to post by article

The Legend has spoken.

Yah okay, I can live with that. My comment was addressed to your statement he was "OVERrated". That has to come from either being to young to experience that era, or ignorance of pride. Yah, don't worship any man, yah don't do too much dope ( everybody did). It was as new as a "strat" and a "riff".

When I say rock "GOD" I mean that not as a spiritual thing but rather as an accomplishment and the veneration people had for him. At least back then anyway.

And ask others from then and since who their "inspiration" was to learn the "Geetar". Jimi, hands down. So show some respect and maybe the gods or rock and roll will smile down on you too, "legend".

I understood where you were commin from. I just dont look at it the same way. I mostly get into metal. I'm a closet musician as I will probably never put myself on a stage. Yet, I've played since the time I bought my first replica axe in 92. I enjoy the sounds I make, others do as well, but I dont have a need nor want for fame in todays world. Otherwise i would have done like my father and other family and just gone out there and done it. My father still tours all over the US and other countries for the music he's involved in. (no where near my kind of music...but.. it's music and it's his heart as metal is mine), but I dont have that same desire to get out there and be an icon. It's a hobby of hobbies for me.

Honestly, Hendrix is one of my inspirations on lyics, not guitar. Guitar wise, it would have to be Alex Lifeson, Stevie Ray Vaghn and others like Eric Johnson, Steve Via, Satriani... Now those guys are guitar players...

Still, Hendrix had cool tunes that made sense in many ways... It related. That's my 40 year experiance with Jimi. It touched me as did other music, but he was nothing close to a god even when comparing todays talent.

He was talent when there was none.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Acid also opens up a spiritual world that you never knew existed before (or at least it can). I speak from experience, I don't want to debate, just report.

edit on 7/14/2012 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by article

Honestly, Hendrix is one of my inspirations on lyics, not guitar. Guitar wise, it would have to be Alex Lifeson, Stevie Ray Vaghn and others like Eric Johnson, Steve Via, Satriani... Now those guys are guitar players...

Absolutely. The best. Today.

Still, Hendrix had cool tunes that made sense in many ways... It related. That's my 40 year experiance with Jimi. It touched me as did other music, but he was nothing close to a god even when comparing todays talent.

It was harder then. Censorship under Nixon and corrupt Music Industry was harder to overcome. His "style" was "unacceptable". Now it seems like Playdo.

He was talent when there was none.

Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Howard Duane Allman, and then a plethora of Southern Blues Masters (Original originals) like B.B. King and co. There were some.

But I get what you are saying too. Jimi was first and like the Wright Brothers, ahead of his time.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join