It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Superbug' a Growing Problem Outside Hospitals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
NEW YORK - An antibiotic-resistant germ is increasingly causing skin infections and pneumonia in otherwise healthy children and adults.

That's according to two of several reports on methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus - known as MRSA - delivered at the annual meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society of America underway in Boston.
What's particularly worrisome, one researcher told Reuters Health, is that these infections are being acquired in the community - not the hospital, as has been the usual case until now.

www.planetark.com...

In 1999, there were 9 cases of community-acquired MRSA documented at Driscoll Children's Hospital. The number jumped to 36 in 2000, 105 in 2001, 278 in 2002, and 459 in 2003.

I think it is just a matter of time before some kind of killer bug emerges a la Stephen King if for no other reason, natural population control! The Earth always finds a way to protect itself!

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
If the increase in new cases continues at the rate you quoted the total new cases would be in the 10's of millions by 2020

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Scary isn't it? This bug causes skin infections and pnemonia but think about the current poulation of the Earth.What if the bubonic plauge was to resurface or some new killer bug. If it only wiped out a small percentage of the population millions would still die!

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Makes me want to go wash my hands

top topics

join