It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook scans conversations, chats and posts - Informs authorities based on key words and data mini

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
news.cnet.com...

I've often suspected this. But here we go.

Facebook has added sleuthing to its array of data-mining capabilities, scanning your posts and chats for criminal activity. If the social-networking giant detects suspicious behavior, it flags the content and determines if further steps, such as informing the police, are required.

www.reuters.com...

Here's the article discussing how a man got busted for chatting up young girls. Was discovered by facebook. Ok in this case they netted a predator. But what about for less harmless crimes? On what basis are people being judged by this Orwellian website?

Facebook's software focuses on conversations between members who have a loose relationship on the social network. For example, if two users aren't friends, only recently became friends, have no mutual friends, interact with each other very little, have a significant age difference, and/or are located far from each other, the tool pays particular attention.

and another article detailing a facebook legal account and subpoena:

www.zdnet.com...

Facebook already shares its Law Enforcement Guidelines publicly, but we've never actually seen the data Menlo Park sends over to the cops when it gets a formal subpoena for your profile information. Now we know. This appears to be the first time we get to see what a Facebook account report looks like.

Images on the above link.
--

What are your thoughts? Surprised? Or has it always been this way?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Facebook is such a joke now. I know dozens of people that have moved on due to the constant changes, and the data mining.

For the life of me, I don't know why anyone would invest in that dinosaur.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This in an infringement to our privacy and the positive aspects of this are not worth the disrespect done to all users.
We all say and think things that are not illegal but want to keep private.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Such BS. On one hand you have twitter, who fights tooth and nail to NOT give up personal information, then you have facebook, who just hands it over without even being asked.
Yet people continue to use it. Oh well, i dont.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienAgendah
For the life of me, I don't know why anyone would invest in that dinosaur.

Oh, well maybe the CIA, top corporations and other governments find that their time and money investments are worth it. Knowledge is power and we give away that power for free and they even make money off of it at the same time.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Facebook:

The botnet that people join of their own volition.

Are we now surprised that nefarious deeds may be performed with all of that data that FB collects?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienAgendah

Other than being 300 miles away from my family, I use FB to post the juiciest storys from here on my wall.. virtual middle fingers at the FBI and any watching here your days are numbered

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Lol, people are dumb huh?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Whatd you expect?

Funny thing, i had the idea for myspace before it ever existed. but i never pursued the idea...my #up...

Everyone, post this link on facebook...give em the finger...
edit on 13-7-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Training everyone to watch each other in the same room is a lot cheaper than putting up cameras every 5 feet.

It's like some creepy psychologists office leaving a door open to a room full of toys and candy then watching all the idiots play from behind a one-way mirror.

Weed your Farmville garden while Dr. Strange fondles himself on the other side of the glass.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

I had an idea called teacher space at least a year before FB came out that was going to basically be facebook but for teachers and parents to be able to communicate easier with assignments/grades/events. Many schools now have a version of this through the ISD in their area and I just saw a guy recently received start up capital to move forward on my exact idea years later.

I don't have money and I don't know to many people with millions but with the way our glorious intelectual property system is set up the first to have the money and run to the patent offfice reap the benefits.

Intellectual property will be the downfall of future society as all the money moves to a very few...

Oh wait that has already happened with banking.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I don't see an issue. A Facebook user is using their service, they can monitor it and do whatever they want with it. If someone suddenly becomes friends with 4 people from Iran and they have conversations with the words bombs and jihad I would hope somewhere in the government a red flag goes up.

If they want to monitor me telling my aunt in Idaho what my cat Mr Tiddyboms did this morning they can have at it.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Wow, i just immagined if some friends were planning out a strategy for something like Call of duty on co-op or multiplayer.
"Now I'll shoot towards the runway and you plant the bomb on the plane..."
This could get interesting. But you have to be a 1/2 brainwashed drone to be on facebook in the first place, so i say people are kind of asking for this.

edit on 13-7-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
This'll blow your mind!!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Cliff notes plz??

No sound here.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

If you want to keep them "private", why on earth would you post them on Facebook????

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

If you want to keep them "private", why on earth would you post them on Facebook????

Maybe you don't know about facebook but there are private one on one messages too and this is what the OP is mainly taking about from what I deduct.

Do you think a 50 year old man would post on the wall of a 14 year old girl so that everyone can see?
Impossible, so your argument is void sorry.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Do you think a 50 year old man would post on the wall of a 14 year old girl so that everyone can see?
Impossible, so your argument is void sorry.

Not void. Don't write things online that you don't want others to read. First rule of privacy. I used to work in the behavioral health field...we wrote up case notes, on paper, and kept those files LOCKED. It was the LAW. If you want confidentiality, then don't post anything to people you don't know intimately and therefore should not TRUST.

Do you know how many predators have been "caught" by LEOs posing as 14-year old girls? Not impossible. I know plenty of 50 year old men (that is my generation)...and some of them are not only predatory monster, but also STUPID.

Oh, and btw, I have a Facebook page on which I NEVER write...but since some of my family and friends are on there, I from time to time I reactivate it, then shut it down again. Under a pseudonym. In the years I've been on there, I've received private messages and had decent interactions (i.e. thoughtful, intelligent, and of some depth) from a few acquaintances. But in general, it's just superficial BS.
edit on 14-7-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Maybe you don't know about facebook but there are private one on one messages too and this is what the OP is mainly taking about from what I deduct.

There is also a chat feature on fb, like AIM or Messenger. I think that this is what theyre talking about in the OP.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I use Facebook, but never for anything of substance. From time to time I'll post thought-provoking articles or Youtube videos. Its usefulness ends there, however. I'm not at all surprised about this, but I am certainly disappointed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join