It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Conservative Magazine Calls For US To Leave Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Seems lots of Conservatives believe the troops should be pulled from Iraq, too. Guess the pro-Iraq War crowd can't call their opposition "liberals" anymore, eh?

The American Conservative calls for US Withdrawal from Iraq

After one of the most humbling and humiliating weeks for American power and prestige in memory, another blow to President Bush is coming from an unexpected source: the American Conservative, a political magazine started by Pat Buchanan.

In words that echo what Democratic Presidential Candidate Dennis Kucinich has been saying since the beginning, the article states that "The administration's Iraq policy is in shambles and the time has come for the United States to withdraw." "The war was a tragic, avoidable mistake, and those who opposed it have been vindicated. The administration should be held accountable, both for leading the nation in war under false pretenses and for its willful failure to think through the consequences of going to war with Iraq." Let's hope for all of our sakes that both President Bush and John Kerry will listen to the wisdom, now coming from all sides.

[edit on 7-10-2004 by bushblows]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
i consider myself a consevative and i support the war. I think the writer of the article in this magazine is an idiot. if we left Iraq right now i think the world would hate us even more. The people there would be left in chaos and terrorists would flock there and try to control it. Leaving iraq right now isn't even something Kerry supports. That is just one of the stupidest things i have ever heard.

kind regards,
DIGITALGRL

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
You might note Pat Buchanan was against the war from before it started.
Much as I dislike Pat Buchanan his stance at that time was better than mine.
I was ambivalent about whether to go to war or not.

I'm not sure what kind of stability we can instill there in Iraq. Quite possibly a whole lot less stability than we imagine. In any event we should get someone in office who will COMMUNICATE with the Iraqi people, work with them, treat them as ACTUAL human beings. That will optimize what we can accomplish on the ground there. After that we should pack our bags, and sadly our body bags, and leave.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Yeah, Pat hasn't been on board from the start and has been critical ever since. Note my sig below.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalGrl
i consider myself a consevative and i support the war. I think the writer of the article in this magazine is an idiot. If we left now the world would hate us DIGITALGRL

Then you must not know much about the world.

[edit on 8-10-2004 by bushblows]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 05:57 AM
link   

I helped Dennis K. try to get in but unfortunately we were so LEFT at the time,
he is an angel for PEACE.

He wants to create a Dept. for Peace that works on a Global Community mentality.

You don't hear a hateful word out of his mouth.

He said it from the beginning, "This Iraq War was Wrong".

I am proud to vote him in to an office in Ohio, hopefully his words will be heard now!!

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
If we pull out of Iraq now, we will be handing the Iraqi's over to the fantical terrorists, or to Iran. I agree, we need to get the heck out of there as soon as posible, but we just can't leave a vacuum.
Maybe what we should do is to hand control of most of it over to a Arab coalition, and just sit within our compounds, unless they come knocking at our door asking for help, I don't know. I don't think we can stabalize it, since we seem to be doing more to inflame the situation. But, we just can't pick up and leave. We'd probably end up having another taliban style government setting up there, and quite honestly, I think that was worse than the Saddam regime.

I don't think Bush is gonna humble himself enough to be able to enlist the kind of support we need in the area to do much of anything though.

new topics

top topics

join