It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Member "Credit/Credibility" Score similar to a FICO Score? "ATScore" (ATS Credibility Observ

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Yes but could not there be some rating factor or algorithm that would be put into place to offset certain factors?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by yourmaker

When you see how many substanceless, oneliner insults get lots of stars on some threads, that theory gets blown out of the water don't ya think?

I suppose, I was half joking.

I do agree, i'm not one to even give out stars so it's hard to imagine how it would work lol..

from my perspective, credibility comes with time, for some posters, all you need to see is their avatar.

I don't really judge other then that, I like what everyone has to offer here.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
more stars then posts = credible

This can be true for newer members, but not always true for some of our older members who are from a time before stars and flags existed. They are still catching up. Though most of them could care less about the flags and stars.

I try to judge each post on its own merit. That's why you may see me agreeing with a member now, that I may have totally disagreed with earlier in another thread. I stay away from grudges and pre-judging a members posts as much as possible.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Another thought... Yes an "ATScore" would simply be a number and it does not necessarily determine if someone is troll or not just like a FICO score does not necessarily mean you are never a bad risk because anyone could have to go bankrupt at anytime for myriads of reasons that creditors did not see coming. Likewise with an ATScore, perhaps we would have a bankruptcy filing that stays on for a period of time that some could use to reset there score rather than create a whole new Profile? hehe okay maybe this one is a bit far

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

reply to post by Klassified

I am in the same boat. Maybe if I had a bit more time, I would in fact start more threads of my own though. Usually I pop on here when I am letting my computer calculate physics or render or whatever, and have some time to kill so to speak. That means I pop on for anywhere between 10 to 45 minutes at a time. Not really sufficient time to start a great thread on anything.

I hear ya. Time is a factor for me as well. It takes a lot of time to do a well researched thread. But I also lack the eloquent writing skills some of our members have. I envy them.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Why don't we just keep things the way they are and give each post an individual look. If you see a pattern emerging then ignore those threads.

We can't make a system where we see some members seemingly more credible than others. Even the most ignorant posters throw a bullseye sometimes and the most knowledgeable crap the bed. It happens. We are all people.......I think.

Let us just continue to deny ignorance and filter through the bogus. It's work sometimes, but a system of grading is fascist and counter productive.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
OH another thing that crossed my mind. As it is now, there are certain members that seem to be thought of as godlike, like Phage for example. How many times have I seen posts such as "Let's wait until Phage pops in, he will explain it all!" Yes, phage does seem to be pretty damn intelligent on scientific topics, but it does seem like worship sometimes eh?

I think yet another stat might encourage even more of that type of behavior. If you wish to worship someone, worship at your own feet. That is the most difficult thing to do

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

OH another thing that crossed my mind. As it is now, there are certain members that seem to be thought of as godlike, like Phage for example. How many times have I seen posts such as "Let's wait until Phage pops in, he will explain it all!" Yes, phage does seem to be pretty damn intelligent on scientific topics, but it does seem like worship sometimes eh?

I think yet another stat might encourage even more of that type of behavior. If you wish to worship someone, worship at your own feet. That is the most difficult thing to do

Apologise quickly before Phage sees this!

I actually have to agree with Spinal though.

Posts/threads should live or die on their own merit. Not by some authority. Or authoritaran scale.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

I see your point here. I started reading ATS years before I actually created a membership. So my date does not truly reflect when I first considered myself a member. I guess fascism comes in many forms but I think everyone gets what Im trying to say... We see so many good topics started and then here comes the tag team of disinfo... We all know the ones... or maybe we dont and this type of thing might just help a tad bit for newbies?

When some person comes up with a thought provoking idea and then along comes member SHLEPROCKCHEESEBURGER1984 who does their best to belittle, undermind, embarrass and twist time and time again, that is until they create a new email and new membership.... They accomplish what they wanted to do pretty much most of the time and people fall for it...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by YAHUWAH SAVES

But that's the beauty of ATS.

It's the deep end of the pool. The shark tank. My in-laws house.

This isn't facebook, or sunday tea with aunt Betty.

This is the majors. And if you can't defend a position, then by god, you either end up learning, or you go home.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Excellent Point! Right on there and ^5's

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

Yet, as some high post users show - they haven't started a single thread. Do people come on here just to only respond to others posts?

Some of us aren't worth a crap at starting threads. I'm one of those. I'm really better off sticking to posting, even though I've created many threads. So yes, I've come to a point where responding to other members threads is going to be about the extent of my contributions from now on.

On another note - now that you can get Flags for threads in BTS, people can get a high Flag count for a random puppy thread or whatever... so again, it's all relevant.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I need to do more puppy and kitty threads.
j/k

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by YAHUWAH SAVES

No. We don't need yet another thing under our name. Heck, I still have no idea what the 'k' is ... yes it's karma .. but I have no idea why it's there. And I think the 'point total' already does much of what you want anyways.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

As far as I've been able to tell - Karma goes down as WATS goes up - one would think there's some sort of message in that, no?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I don't know. I can't figure it out. Is a lower karma or a higher karma supposed to be good?
And the bigger question .. WHY have it at all?
Does anyone look at it ?? I dunno' ....

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The bottom line here is that no one agrees with the OP. For a variety of reasons prople do not want a single number judgment system. Some don't like the very idea. Some have shown that the information is already available. The W and K scores are essentially what you are asking for and we've explained to you how these are put together. All those things you want included are, in one way or another, reflected already in these scores. W, for example, includes posts, stars, flags, points (both positive and negative), applause, and threads.

And OP is being rather vague. Although you have listed some additional data elements you think might be included, you've done nothing to synthesize them into a formula of your own. You seem to be wanting other people to do the heavy lifting here and figure out a new formula so you can partake of it at your leisure. The onus appears to still be on them to make this single-number system statistically valid.

You haven't really made your case. I'd be much more impressed if you came to us with an exact formula and explained exactly why each data element was important and how it affected the score as a whole and precisely why your formula was better than what we already have. I would expect your argument to be staistically valid, too, just like a credit score. You haven't even shown that a single-number scoring system would improve things, much less what would it would be made up of. You have no proof of concept. It's more of a philosophical stance.

And this kind of stuff costs money. Programmer time is not inexpensive. Further, tracking variable that now may not be tracked means fundamentally changing the way the ATS forum software works. Your asking them to restructure the database AND write more code to track the changes you want. Would you like to pay for this?

Me neither.

P.S. And what's with this puzzlement on page 3 over Karma and Wats when it's been thoroughly explained on page 2? Right here. Is there something you don't get here that needs further explanation?
edit on 7/13/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

As I said earleir, threads also provide the oppourtunity to learn.

Lets just look at this as a learning experience.

Or as a LtC once told me, "I have teachable moments, YOU still make misakes!"

edit on 13-7-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Come on.... Really? You really believe all that you just typed.... So we are all done discussing this according to your logic?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by YAHUWAH SAVES

Come on.... Really? You really believe all that you just typed.... So we are all done discussing this according to your logic?

I gotta give you points for persistence, but I'm saying it's not going to happen. First, you've not made a convincing case, as the replies here should indicate to you. There is no support for your idea. Secondly, ATS is not a democracy. The users do not make the big decisions. You are not in charge.

Eventually, you'll figure this out.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join