It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Know Your Rights: A Graphic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Here is the graphic. It's a pretty long one but it makes a point. And that point is there is a lot of police brutality that never gets addressed. This graphic shows the stats:This graphic is really large and can not fit in this post Here is the link to it:

www.criminology.com...:

Source:

www.criminology.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
First they tell people to know their rights, and then they cite people who have been killed, as a consequence of exercising said rights.

I've said it before, and I will say it again. The correct time and place to play the sovereignty game, is not in front of a cop. A cop does not care about the law, and they often won't know as much about it as you do anywayz. As far as they are concerned, there is only one rule; you do everything they say, or you get bashed and/or killed.

The time and place to think about your rights/play the sovereignty card is in correspondence with a judge or court clerk, before you show up in court.

When you're on the street, in the company of a police officer, however, the only thing that matters is the monopoly on physical violence; and he has that in his favour.

If you want to survive, do not antagonise police; and that includes doing things which as far as you know, you have the legal right to do. Your rights are only worth as much as your ability to physically enforce them, and with police, you usually have none.
edit on 13-7-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is an issue I agree with you. Do not antagonize or play games with the police.

But that in no way means you can not exercise your constitutional rights.

This is one of several attitude i'm incredibly frustrated with, that you have to cooperate with police in all things and abdicate your rights.

No, exercise your rights, be respectful about using your rights, and know your rights.

I'm also incredibly and increasingly frustrated with the attitude of cops being so special they can do anything they want to and if you exercise your constitutional rights you're a bad guy. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

I really don't understand why cops think they're so much authority that they can do these things, and I'm tired of people doing what they can to enable cops to do these things.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
This is one of several attitude i'm incredibly frustrated with, that you have to cooperate with police in all things and abdicate your rights.

Let me put it another way, ESC. You only need to abdicate your rights with a cop, specifically, if you care about whether or not you survive.

The ultimate source of the State's power over the individual, is that individual's fear of death; and so conversely, the source of sovereignty, is the absence of fear of it. If you are not concerned about the fact that a police officer can, in practical terms, kill you at his discretion, then by all means; turn around and walk away when he attempts to interrogate you, or keep your door closed if he tries to come into your home without a warrant.

Personally, however, I see greater wisdom in longer term survival. If a cop wants to ticket me for something, then if I know the system well enough, I can likely get it thrown out of court later. So it makes a lot more sense for me, as far as self-preservation is concerned, to take the ticket (or the arrest) at that moment, and save my arguing for the judge, who isn't going to have a gun, and also isn't going to have the attitude that he can murder me on a whim, because of the presence of witnesses.

It's not about lying down completely. It's about choosing your battles wisely, in terms of knowing which ones you can or cannot win. Nobody ever wins against cops. Against judges, yes; but against cops, no.

It is also not about the law. The law has absolutely nothing to do with it. Where cops are concerned, it is about pure, raw force; who has more of it.

Military tactics are like unto water; for water in its natural course runs away from high places and hastens downwards.

So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

Like water, taking the line of least resistance.

Water shapes its course according to the nature of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing.

Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions.

He who can modify his tactics in relation to his opponent and thereby succeed in winning, may be called a heaven-born captain.

-- Sun Tzu, 6:29-33, The Art of War
edit on 13-7-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This is not so much as a "know your rights" picture as much as it is "look at all the bad cops".

top topics

join