It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are Real, Government Agency Forums open to the Public (it appears)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I just came across this site: federalsoup.federaldaily.com.... It appears to be a a forum for various government agencies so it's members can sit around and talk shop - or whatever. And it appears to be open to the public.

My first thought was WTF !?

There is no conspiracy here.. that I know of.. or is there? Is this nothing more than public disinformation or is it real? Anyone know anything about this forum?
edit on 13-7-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Good find in the sense the you are keeping your eyes peeled for such things. I bet if one were to scour this site, there are probably a couple gems, but overall it looks pretty boring, and probably closely monitored.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
On the one hand I would assume these agencies need a public face because they are all agencies of the Government and by that token agencies of We The People. They work for us.

On the other hand it has to be full of spooks and double agents even inter-agency spies. You are correct, on the surface it does look tame but this is a forum that has message boards for all the top agencies.. FBI, CIA, NSA DOD etc - they talk and message each other in private just as we do. I am sure there may be some recruiting going on as well as hopes that an enemy will come into the forum and reveal themselves so they can catch them. The profilers must have a field day with this place.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Agreed, and there is probably some juicy info there, just not really findable for the average Joe. Either way, may be a decent place to poke around now and then, but at the same time call me paranoid but I don't really want my IP address showing up in their logs on even a semi-regular basis.
edit on 13-7-2012 by Osiris1953 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Coooolll! Thank you!

By the way, love the avatar, District 9 has got to be one of *the* best alien films out there

(German Voice)
"You F*cking prawn!"

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'll tell ya how I found the place. I like to play with different windows 7 themes, logon screens and even alternate system shells. I was looking for ideas to build one by looking at FBI or other government computer systems you see in movies and tv shows. You know whenever they show a government computer they always have a fancy logon screen and the system is different than your normal windows system as if it were a fictitious special government operating system.

I thought I don't really know what real FBI government systems look like, if there really are different operating systems or shells they use that is different and fancy. So, I thought i'd ask on an FBI forum. I did a Google search for "FBI Forum" - Not really expecting to find anything and to my surprise this site was first on the list.

I registered and got approved to post by the Admin. I haven't asked my question about fancy gov system shells yet but one things for sure. if I wasn't on some obscure gov list before.. I am now LOL.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
If anyone plans to do much reading in this forum perhaps this information will help on how to spot a forum spy or disinformation agent.

cryptome.org...

Thanks to ADVISOR and his thread here for the info: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Federal Soup is a well-known private web site for federal employees and applicants. I consulted it myself a few times when I first started looking at civilian federal employment, but never registered.

As for operating systems/desktop environments, most agencies use a fairly recent version of Windows on desktops/laptops. Some have classification notices on the desktop background, others let you put whatever you want in the background. The logon is the usual Windows smart card logon screen, followed by (or preceded by?) the usual boilerplate about accessing a government IS.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FurvusRexCaeli

Federal Soup is a well-known private web site for federal employees and applicants. I consulted it myself a few times when I first started looking at civilian federal employment, but never registered.

As for operating systems/desktop environments, most agencies use a fairly recent version of Windows on desktops/laptops. Some have classification notices on the desktop background, others let you put whatever you want in the background. The logon is the usual Windows smart card logon screen, followed by (or preceded by?) the usual boilerplate about accessing a government IS.

Thank you for the info. I did ask in the FBI forum about this issue and so far the only reply I got was a brush off saying I wasn't going to get any info from people on the forum and the fellow from North Virginia told me " My advice is to move along". Of course this causes me to plant roots more firmly. LOL

I already use this nifty logon screen but i'd really like a replacement explorer shell with a government theme so the whole OS will look like a government OS.. ( like Aston or SharpE) Linux users know these as Desktop Environments instead of calling them shells. At least like something you'd see in a movie if the real deal is not that exciting.

Here's the picture: FBI Logon Screen skins16.wincustomize.com...

To make the illusion better, I use a USB stick with an encrypted password to log onto the system (using Rohas Logon key) and I use the same USB stick with the app Predator to secure the system - take the stick out and the screen locks. Anyone who tries to access the PC without the USB stick gets treated to a loud alarm and a Access Denied screen. There is even a pin number I can use to verify who I am in case anyone steals the USB stick. It's pretty cool. You can get a free version of Predator and a trial version of Rohas Logon key. Two great ideas to get more use out of old usb sticks you have lying around.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FurvusRexCaeli

You nailed it precisely. Exactly. Nuff' said. Great post. Seriously!

Second.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I just registered to Federal Soup. Waiting for admin. approval.

I have a family military background that's a bit extensive, so.........we'll see.

edit on 16-7-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Cool, thanks for that. I shall register and start getting inside thier heads in a very big way

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
Cool, thanks for that. I shall register and start getting inside thier heads in a very big way

I'm in BTW.

You don't need top secret credentials or anything to join............just lie your a** off, put your IP in Geneva and you're Gold

edit on 16-7-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Not much on ufos in there...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Not much on ufos in there...

Not MUCH?

Clue in those of us who are too paranoid by nature to register.

Besides, we don't want a huge wave of un-connected registrants and wonder where the hell they're all coming from. Not, I suppose, that it would matter to most of us.

Someone TELL US ALL so we don't get tempted to register!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I, for one, will NOT be registering there. LOL I'm paranoid enough, as is! Last thing I need is for my computer to get tracked for researching UFOs... Someone keep track of the people who register at that forum... if they don't post for much longer we might know why.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Everything isn't a conspiracy!!! People go online to chat and connect to people of like mind or those that can relate to them. (Kind of like here) I'm a member of a Firefighter forum, A Nursing Forum, a Marine Corps Forum & a Forum that's only open to actual vets verified by current orders or DD214...(Where we conspire to put everyone in FEMA camps :::Cue evil laugh::

There are simply things that only people in your job can relate to... If I was looking here for info on foley caths when I was in nursing school, I'd get crickets & tumbleweeds...I could post the same question on allnurses and I'd get 27 pages back.

When I was asking about a particular tactical course , I went over to lightfighter and spoke with a few doorkickers that had taken the courses, I then messaged the actual trainer of the course through the site & he took time out of his day to call me because we had been at a few places in the world at the same time..

At the end of the day, you're not going to get anything sensitive on that site and I'm sure it's monitored, not for you folks but people working in government and maintaining COMSEC. No one is going to lose their career and pension to talk to you about what they did during their day.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cassiper
I, for one, will NOT be registering there. LOL I'm paranoid enough, as is! Last thing I need is for my computer to get tracked for researching UFOs

Why would you research UFOs on a web site about federal personnel issues? I think a lot of our civil servants aren't exactly on the same planet as the rest of us, but I don't think they can tell us anything about interstellar travel.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
you don't need to register to read, i was just surfing through some of the post, it all seems pretty bland, stuff about training and tips to train for upcoming events or tests, ect ect, only spent about 10 mins or so, so im sure there might be a post or something out of gigs of information, but its not going to be like here when you ckick hot topics, there is no file that says, top secret eyes only type thing lol

would be interesting to surf through posts around time of aurora and see if any tid bits can be found about training at a movie theater ^^

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Paranoid ATS mods tip of the day.....

Being on a watch list is one thing... but putting yourself front and center to those who use watch lists is a good way to end up at the top of the list.

~Heff

new topics

top topics

join