It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone here play chess?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Hi! I'm just wondering if you play chess while online, and where you like to play? I've been playing chess for close to 12 years. I don't have a USCF, nor an FIDE rating, since the only tournaments I've played have been online, or in the basement of a bookstore where I was never asked about a membership to those organizations.
I think the game of chess has always been a way for me to determine my clarity of mind--to keep my mind somewhat sharp. I recommend, to all the ATSers to give that game a good try, since it is a lot of fun! I'm not good at it, mind you, because I have read about and watched people who are good at the game. Where I've lived, and who I've known, chess has been a novelty act for me in a way, since I'm a woman who plays, studies, and am interested in the game. Of course, it's probably due to being a woman living in America which makes it a novelty to so many people I meet. In Europe or Asia, for example, people may not be as surprised. Or, everyone I meet could think I'm too dumb to play chess! lol That possibility may exist

I've played at Chesscube, FICS, and Chess.com(which is my favorite).

Just wondering...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I love playing chess, the problem? Finding someone to play with. It used to be a game that many ppl played and now it even hard to find someone to play Checkers. When my son gets a little older, I will teach him and then I'll have someone to play.

I know that some our founding fathers in America (ie. Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin and others) were avid players and I'm sure that that was part of the reason their great minds were so sharp. Thanks for starting the conversation, maybe we can start an ATS chess club. S&F

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by trysts

"Yahoo Chess" is free and worth checking out. There are a few versions, I recommend just the regular one.
There are a few good "Pay" sites floating around that I've since forgotten. All the best and good luck.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by neOrevolutionist

You should play online, neOrevolustionist! Play at one of the sites I mentioned. They are very good(and free) chess-playing sites. You'll never long for a game of chess against humans again

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by potatotomato2

I've played a couple games there, but I like the look of the chessboard at the other sites I've mentioned. I've got to have the board just right! lol

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Yes, it's an excellent game! I love the tension that builds when playing an intense game, and the fact it really makes you use your brain! You can't beat an epic 2 hour chess battle!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I used to play quite a bit in the 70s and 80s. At my height I was USCF rated in the high 2100s, never broke 2200. I don't know any serious players anymore, and I don't go to tournaments anymore. I still play Chessmaster once or twice a week on my computer with tournament 40/90 time controls, computer rates me about 2000. A lot of good memories, some bad. Imagine a 6 hour drive home at night, just you in the car, and all you can think about is that stupid blunder in that last game after several great wins that cost you the tournament. Too many of those made me quit tournament play.

I guess I kind of ruined chess for myself. It became more like work than play.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I enjoy playing Chess but haven't done it online.
I taught my son when he was 5 and we occasionally play on an app on my phone.
It's definitely a game that keeps you on your toes. If I get distracted I mess up.
I wish I played more often, I need to improve.

and my son laughed when I said " the queen has all the power"
edit on 7/13/2012 by obnoxiouschick because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join