It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right Or Wrong? FacebookMonitors Your Chat - Informs Police of Anything Criminal/Catches Peds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Facebook Informs Police

Right or wrong? Facebook monitors chat conversations and informs the police of anything suspicious - but the privacy breach does catch paedophiles

On March 9 of this year, a piece of Facebook software spotted something suspicious.
A man in his early thirties was chatting about sex with a 13-year-old South Florida girl and planned to meet her after middle-school classes the next day.

Facebook's extensive but little-discussed technology for scanning postings and chats for criminal activity automatically flagged the conversation for employees, who read it and quickly called police.

Officers took control of the teenager's computer and arrested the man the next day, said Special Agent Supervisor Jeffrey Duncan of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. The alleged predator has pleaded not guilty to multiple charges of soliciting a minor.

But what really gets me is this excerpt from the article:

Another pillar in Facebook's strategy is to limit how those under 18 can interact on the site and to make it harder for adults to find them. Minors don't show up in public searches, only friends of friends can send them Facebook messages, and only friends can chat with them.

The gaping hole in the defense of Facebook and many other sites popular with teens is that minors can easily make up a birth date and pretend to be adults - and adults can pretend to be minors.

Technology is available for verifying the ages of Web and app users. One of the providers is Aristotle International Inc, which offers a variety of methods, including having a parent vouch for a child and make a token payment with a credit card to establish the parent's identity.

So another money making scheme by Facebook to earn revenues and another way to touch into your families life. Then they get your credit card information, monitor your spending habits through marketing companies that sell your information to them, and BAM, more marketing scams and pop-up ads come your way.

WTF is happening with FB? This is awful...just awful.

But I do agree that monitoring for peds is good, it's just how they go about the whole thing...I dunno, what are your thoughts???

edit on 13-7-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/14/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--All caps

edit on 7/14/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Using Content From Other Websites

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
So it's okay to ignore people's rights in order to catch pedophiles?

The answer is simple:

DON'T USE FACEBOOK!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I personally don't use FB all too often, just to see what friends are up to these days and what not. Chat I rarely go on and thankfully I have good friends which don't talk trash and criminal like, so I am safe.

Though I know there should be some screening for peds out there, the problem is how to do it. Having a parent use their credit card to pay for a membership of their child is one thing, but isn't that going a bit far???

The problem with criminal 'vocabulary' is tricky. Imagine if you talked about someone you knew who died in an accident or someone you knew OD'd on something, then FB informs police in your neighbourhood and interview you or worse yet, take your computer and arrest you for specific words used in your chat.

Is this another way that the Elite are controlling your life? Is this part of the NWO?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Haha, I'm going try a little exsperiment, I already done it on google and got no results, but now I shall try it on facebook; typing lots of terrorist related words and catch phrases to see if anyone investigates me lol.

I have this post as proof if they do

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Actually, FB is safe if you know how to use it properly. Too many people expose themselves too much on it and then get into trouble. Those are my thoughts. Although, if you can't use it properly, don't be on FB, agree with you on that one.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Why is it i think of south park and cartman typing chatting with paedo's and they keep getting arrested

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
What sort of a pedophile uses the facebook chat for distribution? Not even an argument really..

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
For fun then, open up some fake facebook accounts, then start a steamy conversation with yourself and see if the efword-facebook comes knocking at your door. I dont think you can get into trouble talking to yourself.

Egg on face.

edit on 13-7-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Actually, FB is safe if you know how to use it properly. Too many people expose themselves too much on it and then get into trouble. Those are my thoughts. Although, if you can't use it properly, don't be on FB, agree with you on that one.

Its quite amazing. I had a neighbour move in. Their ssid for their wireless had only last name. Their car had a plate cover advertising the place they bought the car. Within 1 minute I was browsing their facebook account, I know who their friends are, where they are from, school, family members ( hot sister) likes and dislikes.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It isnt to catch pedos, theyve used this BS excuse so many times to try and justify us surrendering our right to privacy.
The two buzzwords of the 00's "Terrorists" and "Pedos"

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder

For fun then, open up some fake facebook accounts, then start a steamy conversation with yourself and see if the efword-facebook comes knocking at your door. I dont think you can get into trouble talking to yourself.

Egg on face.

For fun??? That is a stupid idea! Why? Because whoever the architects are on the other end know your IP address and can track you down. For the fun of it, and the risk of it all, try it yourself and post the results in a new thread here on ATS.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Would you want people listening to your every conversation? Oh wait a minute, we are nearly at that point arnt we.

Its wrong, so damn wrong. I am no criminal but i dont want anyone to know who i talk to or what i talk about, that is my own private business and has f all to do with anyone else.

Can I listen to your phone calls please?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I set my FB account to private so only my contacts can view my posts. But I have seen a lot of people that have their account "public" so that anyone who wishes to can see their info....and those people put posts like: "Going to Cuba for 10 days" might as well leave the door openned and put a "help yourself" sign on the front lawn....

I agree to monitor keywords to locate Terrorists and pedophiles since we want to keep our kidsand our neighborhoods safe but I also find that it violates our privacy. A keyword might turn a light on at the FBI or whoever monitors this but does it look at the context in which it is used? there is plenty of room for misinterpretation here!!!

To answer your question...overall, I find it is WRONG!!!!

Teye22
edit on 13-7-2012 by Teye22 because: to add

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Protecting children is obviously a good thing, and I am all for them taking steps to prevent that. But anything else it's none of their business, people make jokes and end up getting arrested, like the chap on twitter.

A person got 4 years in jail for supposedly inciting riots on facebook, he may have been joking, but it's a bit much if facebook are now an arm of the police force. I don't go on there anymore, it a pile of crock, and they are out for themselves, like any other large corporation. I managed without it before it came along, and I'm managing without it now I'm not on there.

If anyone needs me they can phone or email, most people on there are just there to inflate their egos, and people have 2 different personalities, the superficial one on facebook, and then the one you see in public, which could also be superficial, either way people behave differently on facebook than they do in public. It shows people for what they really.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by Shadow Herder

Egg on face.

For fun??? That is a stupid idea! Why? Because whoever the architects are on the other end know your IP address and can track you down. For the fun of it, and the risk of it all, try it yourself and post the results in a new thread here on ATS.

Then on top of every chat window there should be a disclaimer stating " ALL PRIVATE CHATS CAN AND WILL BE MONITORED AND RECORDED. "

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I think people are naive and foolish if they think these social media companies and e.g. Google do things for the benefit of their users. They are all number crunching their way to knowing everything about your habits, lifestyle, social life and secrets. Bad news.

As to FaceBook informing the police of criminal behaviour. That’s good and responsible.

Regards

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
As to FaceBook informing the police of criminal behaviour. That’s good and responsible.

Regards

" Hey what are you doing in my house?" "oh just looking for criminal behaviour, being good and responsible".

This is giving up liberties for securities angle and you are enslaved by the idea.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

Its wrong, so damn wrong. I am no criminal but i dont want anyone to know who i talk to or what i talk about, that is my own private business and has f all to do with anyone else.

But that's just it. They gave you a free tool to use and made you agree to a set or terms and policies that state they own your ass and people still think they have the right to privacy while using these free tools. When a company gives you something for free it means that you're the product and you work for them, for free.

You want privacy? Then do what people used to do before all this mess.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Interesting. Does that only apply to things you believe in?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Interesting. Does that only apply to things you believe in?

You are not making sense again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join