It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank of Dave - Brit millionaire takes on the banks, funny tv show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

The banks are "#". According to Dave Fishwick, a Burnley businessman who has made millions as the biggest minibus supplier in Britain, "all they have done is # on people". It's a crude assessment, but it's one probably now shared by millions as the Barclays scandal unfolds and NatWest picks up the pieces from its service meltdown.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Was on Channel 4 last night. The man is a bit David Brent-esque or Alan Partridge, and so it's good for a laugh if nothing else. His assessments of the banking industry are quite funny. Here are some quotes

"Bank of Dave: Not a f*cking credit union"

"you can f*ck off with your credit union"

"Banks are sh*t, aren't they?"

"The FSA? Bollocks to them "

Unfortunately for the yanks I can't find a link for the program for you just yet, as it only aired yesterday. For any brits here it is

Dave Fishwick is the best thing to come out of burnley since chumbawamba. Best start to a tv show ever, "The bank are sh*t..."

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Watched it last night, like you I found it funny, my opinion on Dave is mixed, likeable geezer but i suspect he needs to tread carefully. I understand his point on going up against the big banks by starting his own small one, can't see it lasting though.. He obviously needs customers, people to borrow off him & importantly he needs to build the trust of people for them to start saving in his bank. When you roll up in what looks like a town going through a rough time in your bright red Ferrari not too many people are going to take a liking to you, the couple he lent 8k too was quite funny, not sure if he will ever be seeing that back, he began acting like the Gestapo, cause he will now be calling round to check out how is money is working for them, I don't want my bank manager at the door every week seeing how my debt is doing.. Im looking forward to seeing how it turns out but what ever finish of the story channel 4 put on it, the real factor will be in a few years, will he still be a bank? will the big boys take him down or will he ever get back all the free loans he was handing out, can't see it but good luck to him.. Being some kind of flash Harry wasn't the way to do it IMO, he will now pop up on the redar of many agencies who will gladly part him of his cash, especially if he persist on going against the rules, don't get me wrong, I agree with him, screw the banks, screw the government but putting yourself out there on a pedestal is only asking for trouble.
edit on 13-7-2012 by DarthPhobos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting indeed.

Have to go out but I'll watch the rest of it tonight. One thing I did pick up on very early though was the quote about only 1 new banking licence being granted in the last 100 years. I guess the banking cartel doesn't like too much competition.

I also saw a report a few days ago stating that the number of people leaving the big high street banks and moving their money to ethical or charitable banks is growing, as more and more people become angry at the criminality going on in the banking sector. As a Barclays customer of 32 years I am now looking seriously at doing the same.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthPhobos
Watched it last night, like you I found it funny, my opinion on Dave is mixed, I understand his point on going up against the big banks by starting his own small one, can't see it lasting though.. He obviously needs customers, people to borrow off him, but when you roll up in what looks like a town going through a rough time in your bright red Ferrari not to many people are going to take a liking to you, the couple he lent 8k too was quite funny, not sure if he will ever be seeing that back, he began acting like the Gestapo when he will now be calling round to check out how is money is working for them, I don't want my bank manager at the door every week seeing how my debt is doing.. Im looking forward to seeing how it turns out but what ever finish of the story channel 4 put on it, the real factor will be in a few years, will he still be a bank? will the big boys take him down or will he ever get back all the free loans he was handing out, can't see it but good luck to him.. Being some kind of flash Harry wasn't the way to do it IMO, he will now pop up on the redar of many agencies who will gladly part him of his cash, especially if he persist on going against the rules, don't get me wrong, I agree with him, screw the banks, screw the government but putting yourself out there on a pedestal is only asking for trouble.
edit on 13-7-2012 by DarthPhobos because: (no reason given)

if you've ever been to burnley they managed to make it look a lot nicer than it is, it's a real dive and so you've got a point there

i laughed when he gave the bloke a loan to sell sharks. I reckon I shoudl ring him, got a few business ideas better than that

it's not feasible imo like you predict, but as a tv show it was quite good. The problem will be is that the people he's effectively lending to are risks, risks that other banks won't touch, so he's giving away money to the most suspect businesses and individuals, from a risk pov. But on paper it sounds nice and he's got a bit of northern humour about him, good usage of swear words too.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
What the hell... it says not available in my country (Australia) so I tried using a proxy in the US. Still not available in my county. Tried using a proxy in Canada. Still not available. Tried using a proxy in the UK. Still not available. Just where the hell is the video available?
edit on 13/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
What the hell... it says not available in my country (Australia) so I tried using a proxy in the US. Still not available in my county. Tried using a proxy in Canada. Still not available. Tried using a proxy in the UK. Still not available. Just where the hell is the video available?
edit on 13/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

The United Kingdom. Try another proxy. Or if it doesn't work how about try this link - www.channel4.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
After watching it i really like dave he is a nice bloke, got balls too, at least this is a bank you can trust.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Thanks OP, S+F

I like Dave, he has passion and wants to help people by the looks of it.

I am worried about him though. The FSA and central bank as presently structured won't let him succeed.

The whole financial services industry including traders markets will be very different soon.

What advice would you more financially aware members give him?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

dude, thats crap!?
why cant we watch that..
f'n conroy!

new topics

top topics

join