Sen. Reid On 'Made In China' U.S. Olympic Uniforms: 'Burn Them'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Sen. Reid On 'Made In China' U.S. Olympic Uniforms: 'Burn Them'

www.npr.org

This product image released by Ralph Lauren shows U.S. Olympic athletes, from left, swimmer Ryan Lochte, decathlete Bryan Clay, rower Giuseppe Lanzone and soccer player Heather Mitts modeling the the official Team USA Opening Ceremony Parade Uniform.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
And if you thought making the uniforms in China was a money-saving venture, you'd be mistaken. At least to consumers, the uniforms will cost a pretty penny. A polo shirt retails for $145 and a blazer goes for $795.

What do you think? How much does where the uniform is made matter

and if Adidas or Puma have made Olympic uniform in Germany?

www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
That's embarrassing. Really embarrassing. I hope one day America will be able to make a freaking polo shirt for under $100 again.

CX

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I'd say burning them is a bit much, why can't they say, "Thanks but no thanks, we'll make them in the country they are representing".

Shouldn't be like some fashion show anyway, yeah i'm all for them looking the part, and looking good, but advertising labels and names....not a good thing. Bit embarrassing if you ask me.

CX.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by leosnake

In the grand scheme of things, this story is drop in the bucket of #epiece America has become.

But it's a good microcosm of where we went wrong. Corporatism, inept leadership, outsourcing, acquiescence, and overspending.

Such a shame.
edit on 13-7-2012 by lives because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
That's embarrassing. Really embarrassing. I hope one day America will be able to make a freaking polo shirt for under $100 again.

Well said.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
What is lost in the shuffle is the militaristic look of these uniforms. Looks like the China angle is being used to insert the real meaning into people's minds without much thought.
edit on 13-7-2012 by Numbers33four because: (no reason given)

BTW, the concept I assert above is called "falsified metacommunication" ....
edit on 13-7-2012 by Numbers33four because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I think that this is one of the very few times that I have ever agreed with Senator Reid on anything, but in this case, I do. For $145.00 for a polo shirt and $795.00 for the blazers, those things are hideous. It'd have been nice if they could have been made in the USA, but my biggest problem with them is the way they look.

Those uniforms aren't just bad, they're "kill it with fire" bad. The kind of thing that if my daughter picked up in a store, I would have yelped and told her to drop it before it bit her. I like a lot of what Ralph Lauren designs, but this is not among those designs that I like. I don't know what on earth the man was thinking with these uniforms. You couldn't pay me to go out in public wearing those things.

My deepest sympathies to the US Olympic team.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
can't say i agree with Reid about many issues but this is one of them.
burning them isn't such a bad idea but i'd demand a refund in full including shipping.

i'd also suggest boycotting any corporate body that supports this nonsense.
Ralph Lauren, McDonalds, Heineken and any other company involved.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Nice job on designing a suit that looks like Ted Knight's (and Danny Noonan's) sailor outfit in CaddyShack.

Good price too!

I'm sure it will make a good impression
edit on 13-7-2012 by Zarniwoop because: woops

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

They obviously had some idiot purchaser who was scratching a back. But as usual, I disagree with the idiot Reid. If they have not been purchased, then you obviously just don't buy them. If they HAVE been purchased, then you obviously give them to charity or some such. That is what a normal business would do (tax credits, public sentiment, all that stuff). It is another example of how our government fails because it has no business sense, and therefore has no business being in business of doing business.

On a side note, are you an FNB guy/gal?
edit on 13-7-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

It seems on this occasion I agree with the senator.
I think the USA should start producing before walmart, mcdonalds, starbucks and the military are the only jobs.
Then it is too late.
...oops...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

I think it is a handsome group of left looking comrades. Won't you agree comrades?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Look away it's hideous!! I would go with the cowboy look myself rather than the corporate sailor look.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Sell the clothes on E-Bay, pocket the cash and go in damned t-shirts and jeans.

It's the Olympics, not fashion week or G-Fracking-Q!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Wow...

That's the Olympic Spirit right there! Burn our nations uniforms to the ground because they were made in another nation.

ROFL

Perhaps the new chant for America should be "Burn them! Burn them! Burn them!"

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Whoa! Hang on a minute... what a pointless and idiotic remark from Mr. Reid.

Ok, so the garments are made in China. But, they are made for pennies in China and the price to the Olympic team is set by the American supplier. Isn't this true American Capitalism at work, and an example of the wonderful offshoring system for creative profit making that has made America great, and a select few very rich?

If Mr. Reid feels that way, surely he should also be calling for the destruction of all the widescreen TV's, ipads, ipods, iphones and a host of other consumer goods manufactured overseas? I don't think he has thought this through, which makes him look like an idiotic and jingoistic little turd.

After all, the Olympics is now about the money making opportunities, brand marketing, copyrighting and image making as much as the sporting prowess of those participating.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I wonder how much the Olympic committee paid Polo Lauren to design those uniforms for geeks? Round out the ensemble with some brown wingtips and the fashion statement is complete.

Should be good for some comedy relief during the opening ceremony.

edit on 13-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
They look great,'except the hat. And Reid is a bloody hypocrit

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by bo12au
They look great,'except the hat. And Reid is a bloody hypocrit

Truth!

He'll take the Chinese money, he just won't wear their clothes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join