It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. declares drought-stricken states largest natural disaster area ever

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
If people are still doubting the fact that something terrible and catastrophic is going to happen this year open your eyes its happening right in front of you and its only going to get worse

edit on 12-7-2012 by XFatalX because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-7-2012 by XFatalX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Thanks OP for bringing this up. Out my front door, I see a corn field on the right and a soybean field on the left. Everything is dry, really dry. It is so very sad. A rain today, or tomorrow or this weekend doesn't matter now. It's too late for the corn at least. I'm not as sure about the beans, but everything is short and the roots are drying, and dying.

This drought took its toll in June and at least where I am, we haven't had any measurable rain...and I mean any...in a couple months now. So much corn has been lost.

Here is what happened to the corn...

Corn cobs are empty. Families are going to lose farms and prices are going to hurt people and...well....and hunger...

Global food crisis looms as grain prices soar

What looks to be the worst U.S. drought in a quarter of a century has given rise to an old-fashioned commodity rally on world markets, with key grain prices hitting highs which caused food crises in vulnerable parts of the globe last time around.
Seeking to protect their populations from hunger this time, many countries relying heavily on imports have held off for now, touting healthy stock levels and hoping other sources will come through and bring prices down.
But their hopes may be dashed if they all return to market at once.
With so much of the world putting faith in a record U.S. corn crop, it is little wonder that prices have surged around 40 percent in the past three weeks as relentless dry weather melted yield expectations for cereals. Soybeans are at record highs, while wheat is not far behind.

source

So very sad. And the weather....wow...just wow.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

Good job on saving the dog parvovirus can be a tough one to beat. May it come back around to you. Good luck

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The sad news for seedcorn is that they are planted in such a way that there are 4 female rows and 1 male row, repeated across the entire field. What is happening this year is that the development is stunted so badly, they are tassled but unable to pollinate. The corn cobs that have formed are miniscule and have zero pollination, and thus zero kernels forming on the cob.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I wonder of the Dept. of Agriculture is using this drought as an excuse for gaining more control over what we can do on our own land.
Droughts happen. Cycles, what have you, occur constantly.

I just imagine a scenario where the government enacts more draconian laws (@farming, personal gardens, water usage) and next year the rains come, but the laws remain.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Add to that bee collapse. It's not going to be much fun from here on out. We need a change in management, badly

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Just giving ya'll a what's up from Beautiful British Columbia, Canada. It's lush, green, our produce is ripe, our fruit juicy, the rivers and lakes have been at record levels, and we've had plenty of rain. What does this mean? Stop going to war with people and causing violence and you'll get some rain. lol. I really don't know why You're suffering from a drought but if god was going to punish anyone, well I don't need to say anything else.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ilyich

Just giving ya'll a what's up from Beautiful British Columbia, Canada. It's lush, green, our produce is ripe, our fruit juicy, the rivers and lakes have been at record levels, and we've had plenty of rain. What does this mean? Stop going to war with people and causing violence and you'll get some rain. lol. I really don't know why You're suffering from a drought but if god was going to punish anyone, well I don't need to say anything else.

Actually, Canada is in Afghanistan, and flew missions in Libya.

Also, the East coast of Canada has been seeing record high temps.

Sorry to burst yr theory.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Droughts have been part of farming for as long as agriculture has been with us; whether there is anything unusual about this one aside from its reach and severity is of course open to debate.

Droughts have been, monoculturalism and the lack of diversity which come with mass production have not.

Older, more drought-resistant crops, traditional horticultural methods of cultivation and irrigation systems could counter drought periods and desertification issues, but big agrocultural corporations knew better than generations of experienced farmers I guess.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I don't know where I read it, that Monnsanto is ready to test a new drought resisent crop.

Anybody else have any info on this.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
HAHAHAH

Did oyu see the map? Have you been looking at the weather radar? That looks like the exact path of all rain in the country this past week. The jet stream completely changed as well. Keep a eye on google earth it will change soon again. Turn on the weather effects. Its weather manipulation. If you watch it for a year you will know. I saw it change while the gulf oil spill was happening and many times after that, 3 days after Japan the quake it changed. Its something you have to see for your self. Keep a eye on google earth.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
My dad,a retired farmer,and I were talking about this today.
His comment was,well those that have a good corn crop are going to do well this year.
I was like,really old man?
He chuckles.

Farming has been my families way of life for at least 100 years in the heartland.
They have stores of grain,they sell it when the price is good,keep it when it's low.

I think he,my dad,fails to understand that this may not be a temporary cycle.
I hope he is right and we are wrong.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I predicted all of this. ATS thread I authored in FEB.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Yeah, but the world loves canada, as well everyone knows Canada is useless, flat and empty aside from BC.
edit on 7/13/2012 by Ilyich because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ilyich

What a vile, short sighted, hateful thing to say. Guess that blows apart the myth that Canadians are nice and polite.
The world is going to suffer, and people will die because of this drought and you're taking cheap shots about foreign policy that a majority of Americans oppose?

A word of advise, you might not want to brag about your beautiful country and it's ripe, juicy fruit too loudly. Lots of Americans are getting itchy feet and when they start pulling up their stakes for greener pastures, where do you think they'll land?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
This has been expected in some quarters and we have been warned......
What to do?
try to survive any way we can....if it gets much worse goverments will loose all authority, nobody to pay taxes when theres no jobs no food and no hope.....really its the peoples only hope.....

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie

And the ticks? Now there's a new tick that MAKES YOU ALLERGIC TO BACON!!!!

That is just wrong on so many levels, I wouldn't know where to start.
That is a straight-up nephilim hybrid tick from the seed of satan himself.

I can't imagine a world without bacon

*mosquitoes can live under leaves and mulch...also stacked pots and gutters that have debris in them, old tires, wood piles, crushed concrete piles, piles of anything, they are also from the seed of satan himself, IMO.....

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I think this map gives more detail to the severity...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

If you really want to know how bad it is, just look what our farmers have to say

www.agweb.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join