It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

57,000 to pay back with zero degree to show ever.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I don't know why I even bothered trying to better my life and go for my bachelors. NO one told me that the loans run out. I figured you get a loan and they ensure it covers your entire tuition.

So imagine my horror when I called today to see why my loans were so low; lower than usual, and was told I only have 10k left for my classes and if I wanted, I could get another loan from someone other than Sallie Mae.

Well, I have crap credit. So I just can't go back to school after this 4 month session unless I can pay the 604/credit hour out of my own pocket or pay the loans back. THEN i can return. Okay, just let me take a moment and poop this 57k out and hand it over. Just a moment please.

I was not ready for this. Not today. I was planning on doing my 2 more years of schooling, have that 6 month period to find work and start paying it all back. Nope. Nope nope nope. 4 hours ago my world ended. Brutally.

So I'm just going to get hold of them tomorrow, the loan people, let em know I have zero income, see what they can do, and then I'm going to keep studying online myself, learn my stuff with the help of pals who know what they're already doing, and start my own busiiness. Sure it will be slow at first, and i HOPE it will survive... but that's the only way I'll get anywhere now. Other than that, I'm only good for fast food cashier jobs. heh.

I plan to stay in contact with the loan folk as much as I can monthly - every two weeks maybe - and talk to them. Tell them what's going on, work things out. I will NOT run from this. I will not hide, I will NOT default.

Much as I'm bummed that I paid 57k to basically look at their online courses the last two years and am walking away with nothing but debt, I'm NOT letting it down me. Nope. Something has to work out.

I still am crushed though. Don't get me wrong. I ssobbed today. All that hard work for nothing. That 3.5 gpa for nothing. Tried to better my life and failed once again. But I'm not going to fail with this loan business. I dont need them harassing me or taking money from my tax refunds etc. I want to do the right thing.

Does anyone else have any ideas how to make this crud as smooth as possible? It was Devry by the way. I was JUST about to start my major classes too. Just got the weenie Intro classes done. I have an awesome idea for my business, and hope I can do it and maybe hopefully some day get big wth hard work, determination and realism. I don't expect to become the next Bethesda Game Studios etc in a year. haha. No. But I do hope that in time, in five years, a decade, it will be known.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Not sure what you business idea is, but with a solid business plan...there are always venture capitalists.

You seem driven. Dont let a bump in the road deter you from your goals.

As the saying goes, "Where there's a will, there's a way'.

Think outside the box.

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Okay... I can relate just a bit..I've been through two financial aid crisis now and I'm still undergrad. Oh this system is so fun, isn't it??

I didn't know about these limits myself...now how does that work for people going higher? Oh well... Not important now but something to maybe get back to some time...

At the moment, I'd go for what they say. Look around and see about getting picked up on a loan elsewhere. Credit? Why are you sure credit matters? It didn't the first time around and it isn't because they were trusting folk, right? We have to literally DIE to get rid of these loans..all of us going to school..so they don't give a rip about credit.

Perhaps.. just maybe, the secondary school loan people will be under the same protections because it;s still a student loan. If they can ALSO chase you right into the afterlife to get this money back, you may find yourself with funding restored or at least with a quick process started by the end of tomorrow...

Think positive. You've made it so far.....there is ALWAYS a way, right?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The US of A blows when it comes to education.

This is concrete evidence why.

Can you defer your current $57k and pay as you go for the remainder of your degree?

I can only speak for Australia, but over here we get a discount for paying in advance(5-10%). I know a few people that wanted to leave uni 'debt free', so they worked whilst studying and payed in advance for the coming semester.

It might mean that you have to stop studying for the first six months to build up the bank, but it could be a way to dodge the system.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

In no way does the US blows when it comes to education if it did then we would have so many foreigners coming here for higher education.

What blows is how the banks and the universities are screwing the kids over. Higher education should be free because jobs are becoming more technical and if people don't have the training then they can't fill the jobs that are out there.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Reminds me of the JTPA program. Basically, the gov pays half of new-hires salary for the first 90 days. Well, the company I worked for wouldn't allow anyone to make it to 90 days. They would let you go, hire someone else and have the taxpayers pay half of everyone's salary indefinitely. What a scam....

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DIDtm

Not sure what you business idea is, but with a solid business plan...there are always venture capitalists.

You seem driven. Dont let a bump in the road deter you from your goals.

As the saying goes, "Where there's a will, there's a way'.

Think outside the box.

Good luck.

My business idea is:
Graphic design. Web design. Voice overs for games and animated shows. music for games, movies, animated shows and the casual music listeners as I create music in almost every genre possible. Video game design, development, etc etc. I really want a jack of all trades business wise. A huge reason why Im keeping it real in terms of 'gotta start slow and low and one step at a time.'.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

This is concrete evidence why.

Can you defer your current $57k and pay as you go for the remainder of your degree?

I can only speak for Australia, but over here we get a discount for paying in advance(5-10%). I know a few people that wanted to leave uni 'debt free', so they worked whilst studying and payed in advance for the coming semester.

It might mean that you have to stop studying for the first six months to build up the bank, but it could be a way to dodge the system.

Right now I've been unemployed for almost 2 years. So I could have tried to pay some as I went but it was impossible. I had to live off the refunds I got from left over loans each session. If I'd been able to find work, I would have saved that money and used it to curb this current situation. I'm going to talk to the loan guys tomorrow and see what I can do to either get back in soon as I can (it'd be a year I'm guessing. If sooner, I'd be thrilled) or work something else out. I really want to succeed either way: degree or not.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I'm sorry you have to go through this crap. I know how you feel because my wife and I are currently surviving and raising two children on student loans, we didn't have a choice. But I did do the research and here where we live and go to school they will provide you with the loans for up to 12 semesters as long as you aren't failing too much, in which case probably shouldn't be in college in the first place... I go to a local university though because the education is valued more to society and much cheaper than the online stuff where you usually will not receive much hands on training, so you pay less for a better education. We have the Federal Stafford loans, maybe you should check that out?

To argue the point of another poster though,unfortunately the education here in the states actually does suck. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, can graduate college with a degree these days, as long as you can pay. It isn't as much about the education anymore as it is about the profits. I attend a state university, trust me I know how it is, s many student who are passing with Cs just so they can be kept in to keep paying and the course work isn't much more difficult than middle school was... That is exactly why the system works as it does. They require one to have a college degree in order to get a job that pays above minimum wage so that you HAVE to go to college which will cost much more than an arm and a leg, so you have to take the loans if you do not wish to live on minimum wage, and you have to pay for the entirety of your life unless you are lucky enough to land a good job and know how to manage money - something most here in the states know nothing of. It is indeed a form of slavery.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

sounds like..

you might be in this boat..

without a paddle..

hope you can turn things around..

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
A great vid and I just shared it on facebook with everyone I know. Thank you so much.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Sarra, how did things go today? Your thread is concerning because after reading your Business plan msg, I realize I'm basically doing the same thing. I'm Graphics Design with a previous self-educated expertise in website infrastructure and script integration. I'd tweak a few details for what I'm doing this all for, but not by too much.

I'm also going to hit the same ceiling as you are, if Devry isn't a leading cause of why this happened. I mean, a private tech school as opposed to the State/Official colleges that I swear..have an 'in' with Uncle to make it happen when they want it to. I'm Comm College before moving to State University..so please do update us.
I'm dying to learn how this comes out for you. It's not..'There but for the grace of..' in this case. It's 'Therein lay my own future'.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Sad to say this, but from most perspectives from HR reps, and major companies, they will not hirer anyone from these "paper mills", the vast majority are looking for degrees from state schools, or Ivy. I have a friend who is getting a Masters ate UofP and from what I have been told the masters is north of 50K and most will not even look at these degrees... but then again, while in a state college, I met many people who transfered into the state college from Devry, university of Phoenix, etc and they all said the same thing, the education was crap and the loans were very high...

I think what most people tend to forget, though, is the vast majority of business owners, do not have that much of an education. They are LEADERS with a vision, and surround themselves with the people that can get the vision done. Simple as that...
edit on 13-7-2012 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join