It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American troop movements in the UK some thing going on

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

yes thats northern Ireland not main land uk there is a big difference

if you can tell me when they have been used in main land uk for security on this scale

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by seethetruth

No it isn't, your changing the goal posts. N.I is in the UK and the Army were deployed to "support the civil power", ie; the Police. If you go back to pre-WW2, the Army were actually deployed quite a bit to support police, such as the the General strike in 1926.

This is all off the top of my head and to be honest, people should know this about British history or at least have the gumption to go and find out, rather than plead ignorance.

EDIT: In fact, it's because of the Army being involved in civil policing so much that the Met and other Polcie forces were created. See the "Battle of Bakerloo", again this should have been covered in history during years 7-9.
edit on 19/7/12 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

thats what i said the army have not been used like this since ww2 and i haven't changed any goal posts its you that can not find when they have been used in the uk as security the only thing you could think of is Ireland and they was in Ireland because of the ira

and even with the constant threat of a terrorist attack from the ira in main land uk they still did not use the army as security

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Newsflash, in case you missed it, but NI is IN THE UK. The Army was not there "because of the IRA" at all, I suggest you read up on the why and how. They were originally there to support the RUC and protect the Catholics from Protestant attacks.

I'm sure with more time, I can find you more examples of the Army being used like this. Maybe not on the same scale (10,000 troops) but certainly battalion sizes.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

then you do that you find it in main land uk not northern Ireland it does come under uk but you know that we was not talking about Ireland

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Newsflash, in case you missed it, but NI is IN THE UK. The Army was not there "because of the IRA" at all, I suggest you read up on the why and how. They were originally there to support the RUC and protect the Catholics from Protestant attacks.

I'm sure with more time, I can find you more examples of the Army being used like this. Maybe not on the same scale (10,000 troops) but certainly battalion sizes.

I was in the Army during the troubles in Ireland, you are correct when they were first deployed in 69 to help protect the Catholics, and they were sent in at the request of the Unionist Government to aid the RUC, but there was far more to it than that. The RUC was predominately Protestant at the time, hardly any Catholics were allowed into the service. The IRA had started their attacks and of course the RUC came down very hard on Catholic communities along with attacks from protestant communities, when the RUC mostly turned a blind eye.

However it did not stay this way, very soon the Army ended up being the barrier between the two communities and hated by both sides. The British army also infiltrated and took over the Ulster Paramilitary groups and used these to attack the IRA in ways they were not allowed to.

The point was being made though that people here class NI separate to the mainland of the UK and that troops are not deployed on the UK mainland, this is somewhat accurate, deploying a tenth of the UK army during peacetime is very unusual, even considering Ireland, we did not deploy that amount of strength there, and there was an ongoing terrorist activity to ensure that the troops had to remain. There is no activity ongoing in the UK, the last major terrorist event here was 7 years ago. After 9/11 we had the commonwealth games, yet no Army was deployed in 2002, at the height of the terrorist scare, it does all seem a bit strange

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

i know i got the reason wrong for been in Ireland but the reason for them been there is irrelevant as he knows if he is English that we are talking about the uk i really would like him to come back with something if i am wrong i will stand corrected but i don't think mr mason will come back with anything at all because as far as i know it hasn't happened before thats why they have had to make a big thing about g4s making such a big cock up because people in england know it not normal for troops to be used this way

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Sorry mate, I didn't realise that you were quite so anal. As far as I (and a significant portion of NI) am concerned, it is part of the UK, not Ireland. You made the weeping statement about there never being a deployment so large ever in the UK, which was wrong. If you wanted to narrow the parameter, you should have said. Otherwise, I might as well say there are no Women in the world, because there is currently at this very minute not one in my house.

And yes, more troops were deployed in NI than the present Olympics, but it entirely depends on what year. Some years it had as many as 20,000 men, others only around 9,000. I had the pleasure of being there in the 80's, when it wasn't particularly nice.

As for the Commonwealth games in 2002, it is entirely a different league to the Olympics, but upon checking they still deployed significant assets, including Army bomb disposal, thousands of Police officers, a fixed wing aircraft to perform surveillance, a huge network of CCTV and X-Ray machines plus an army of private security personnel.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

so were have you got this information from about the common wealth games can you provide a link to back up what you are saying , you must have found something your self on line about it because you never mentioned that before

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
When i was at sea. you could pass a great big whale or several, you may only see a water spout .

for some one to say , we have been here 13 years, never seen this before, stands out .
edit on 19-7-2012 by dwarfflex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dwarfflex

you stand out dwarflex you really do your a shinning star

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
suit case delivery

Jerusalem count down

www.youtube.com...

we.re all part of the puzzle

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Aye, I did, just did a little google search..

www.info4security.com...

Just one of many stories for the search string "Commonwealth games security 2002"

It is also worth looking at the Security arrangements for the Olympics in 2008 and 2004

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

thats great lets just hope thats what it is and they have planed for the worst case scenario i still think the s.a.m missiles are a little bit over the top when we have so many raf bases down the A1 that could scramble and take down anything but thats just my opinion

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

I think there are perhaps 4 on this thread of us that live within 15 miles of each other, I also live very close to stanta and can confirm lots of air traffic and ground training this last 2 weeks.

makes for interesting listening

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Markive

come on then you guys that live close lets see some pics im not saying get right up to them and take pics but a pic so we can see what sort of scale of movement your taking about as there is nothing on the media if you can manage to get some pics you dont have to give an exact location just roughly the area and how many miles from the games they are

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Assat knows his time is short opposition fighters saying 30 days, Assat and those with him in Syria, know they cannot escape , so could very well unleash hell , drawing every one into the conflict, chemical, biological to ,

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by dwarfflex
Assat knows his time is short opposition fighters saying 30 days, Assat and those with him in Syria, know they cannot escape , so could very well unleash hell , drawing every one into the conflict, chemical, biological to ,

come on dwarfflex stick to the thread subject start a new thread for your syria theory

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

The SAM's, such as they are, are the last ditch, we've tried everything type scenario or a light aircraft which can fly low and fast under the radar, as it where. They aren't much use against high flying aircraft, the Rapier and Starstreak missiles only have ranges of some 8km.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
its all in the cooking pot conected

World wide caution

July 18, 2012

The Department of State has issued this Worldwide Caution to update information on the continuing threat of terrorist actions and violence against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world. U.S. citizens are reminded to maintain a high level of vigilance and to take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness. This replaces the Worldwide Caution dated January 24, 2012, to provide updated information on security threats and terrorist activities worldwide.

The Department of State remains concerned about the continued threat of terrorist attacks, demonstrations, and other violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests overseas. Current information suggests that al-Qaida, its affiliated organizations, and other terrorist organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks against U.S. interests in multiple regions, including Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. These attacks may employ a wide variety of tactics including suicide operations, assassinations, kidnappings, hijackings, and bombings.

Extremists may elect to use conventional or non-conventional weapons, and target both official and private interests. Examples of such targets include high-profile sporting events, residential areas, business offices, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, public areas, and other tourist destinations both in the United States and abroad where U.S. citizens gather in large numbers, including during holidays.

U.S. citizens are reminded of the potential for terrorists to attack public transportation systems and other tourist infrastructure. Extremists have targeted and attempted attacks on subway and rail systems, aviation, and maritime services. In the past, these types of attacks have occurred in cities such as Moscow, London, Madrid, Glasgow, and New York City.

EUROPE: Current information suggests that al-Qaida, its affiliated organizations and other terrorist groups continue to plan terrorist attacks against U.S. and Western interests in Europe. European governments have taken action to guard against terrorist attacks, and some have spoken publicly about the heightened threat conditions. In the past several years, attacks have been planned or occurred in various European cities.

More: travel.state.gov...

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join