It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Orwells nineteen eightyfour (1984)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
the granddaddy of conspiracy movies - I just found in it the Public Domain Free Movies and thought of you guys.
enjoy Thurdays Night at the movies 1.8hrs long. so grab some popcorn and enjoy... courtousy of George Orwell.

edit on 12-7-2012 by 1BornPatriot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
To which I say

Thanks for the share mate

S&F

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I seriously recommend the novel to anyone who hasn't read it. A major theme is controlling the masses through a fake perpetual war using false flag attacks... Makes you think doesn't it?
edit on 12/7/12 by Insomniac because: Typo

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The pyramid hotel in Pyongyang is the spitting image of Minitrue. Construction is being completed by an Egyptian company called Orascom. Orascom is the global contractor for the USAF.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Thats cool someone put it up on youtube!

Its also recently added to Netflix as well... Good for telling people about it etc

S+F for important info

ETA: Oh wow, I just realized this version was made in 1954... The one thats on netflix is the one released in 1984, in color

edit on 12-7-2012 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I've read the book more than a few times, and I own the version with John Hurt. I know there was an older black & white version, but I could never find it. I may watch it, but no doubt it will depress me further. We're closer to it becoming a reality now than ever before.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac
I seriously recommend the novel to anyone who hasn't read it. A major theme is controlling the masses through a fake perpetual war using false flag attacks... Makes you think doesn't it?
edit on 12/7/12 by Insomniac because: Typo

Although one of the main under currents running throughout the novel is the war with "Eastasia/Eurasia",the main point of the novel is the manipulation of history,information and thought through perpetual disinformation emanating from "the party" ,together with the feeling of complete and utter hopelesness engendered by this approach.

There are far too many parallels with todays political situation that can be drawn from Orwell's novel,which although the work was written as a fictional account,shows remarkable prescience for a work that was written in 1948.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nake13

...the main point of the novel is the manipulation of history,information and thought through perpetual disinformation emanating from "the party" ,together with the feeling of complete and utter hopelesness engendered by this approach.

There are far too many parallels with todays political situation that can be drawn from Orwell's novel,which although the work was written as a fictional account,shows remarkable prescience for a work that was written in 1948.

Agreed absolutely! As the joke suggests, It does seem to have been used as a blue print . Many true words are spoken in jest.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
There is a cafeteria seen in this version with an exchange between Winston and another guy. It's a very telling scene. It talks about the culling of words from the English language. The inability to express certain ideas because the words to express those ideas no longer exist. Bad, becomes "ungood". Well, you'll just have to watch it.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Winston ends up at the Ministry of Love (a FEMA camp), and comes out with a new appreciation for the Party (the US).

Take this with a grain of salt...

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Used to get the modern version on youtube, but I see it has been pulled

Read this book whilst at high school as part of our English class in about 3rd year (some other classes did Animal Farm), I note that it no longer seems to be on the school reading list for the English curriculum. Have read it since too and may just have another read as it has been a fair while. Struck me as a 'way out there hell' of a book when I was back at secondary school, didn't realise at the time that I would be seeing that very scenario, deception and surveillance unfolding in my lifetime!
Recently bought a copy from ebay for my son, before they are no longer available.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 1BornPatriot

Thanks for sharing the film, have only seen the John Hurt version so will definitely be giving this one a watch.

Ironic pic of the day:.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrUncreated
Winston ends up at the Ministry of Love (a FEMA camp), and comes out with a new appreciation for the Party (the US).

Take this with a grain of salt...

At the end of the book,Winston Smith is depicted as a compliant member of society ,who is completely devoted to "Big Brother".But what really sums up the utter hopelesness and madness of that world envisaged by Orwell ,was ,that prior to Winston being remoulded as this "model" citizen,O'Brien tells him that they want him to actually,in thought as well as deed,have nothing but love for big brother and the party,before they put a bullet in his head.

Kind of sums up how things are progressing today,live your life as a good little drone all you like, the end will still be the same,with that metaphorical bullet to the head awaiting us all.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Book first please. Though Hurt was awesome in it. I loved how they used the protagonist in 1984 as the antagonist in V for Vendetta.

new topics

top topics

join