It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Church loses child sex abuse liability appeal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The Eyes Catholic Church loses child sex abuse liability appeal

www.bbc.co.uk

A ruling that the Catholic Church can be held liable for the wrongdoings of its priests has been upheld.

Last year Mr Justice MacDuff decided in favour of a woman, now 47, who claimed she was raped and assaulted as a child by a priest of the Portsmouth Diocese.

The Court of Appeal has upheld this decision, which raises "an issue of wide general importance in respect of claims against the Catholic Church".
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12-7-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Good!

But how about this for chicanery and squirming to avoid the issue:

A spokesman for the diocese said: "This case is not, and has never been, about seeking to avoid or delay the payment of compensation to victims with valid claims.

"This case is about fundamental legal principles involving the very nature of civil society and religious freedom.

"It would be disastrous if, in seeking to provide redress for victims of harm, the law put intolerable new pressures on the voluntary sector.

"This judgement shows further thought and scrutiny are required before clarity in this regard can be established."

the argumetn seems to be that they shouldnt' be liable, because if they are the subsequent damages swill limit the ability of the church to use volunteers for "good works", or something along those lines.

What a crock of merde!

I know ther are plenty of "good people" doing work through the offices of the RCC, but that's not an excuse to avoid legal liability, and if the RCC didn't want these people and their efforts to be "put upon" then they shouldn't have been a protective nest of sexual predators!!

disclaimer: I used to be a Catholic, but I got over it

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12-7-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I am glad they are at least accountable for some of their crimes. It's crazy just how many crimes they do get away with sickens me. And when they publicly speak out, verse the very people who are doing the real work of the book. Those sister nuns, who support gay rights, and help the poor, and help those in need. They are looked down upon by the Vatican publicly. Yet all these rape cases, are tied up in legal battles, and covered up by Vatican blood money. Makes you wonder about these powerful institutions.

edit on 12-7-2012 by zysin5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Hopefully the flood gates will open now and the victims of the vile pedo`s get some compensation. Nothing can return there inocence which was stolen from them but acceptence of gilt by the church will help in some way.
The fact that the church are fighting tooth and nail to wriggle out of it is digusting.
Only a couple of months back here in Ireland a law was passed that hiding information about sex abusers in the church which was given up in confession was a criminal offence with a minimum penalty of 5 years in the clink.
The church leaders are in uproar because they say its gods law that nothing be revealed from a confession and it superceeds the law of the land!!!! Talk about warped

heres the article.
www.thejournal.ie...

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well, mixed feelings about it. Its like saying the that all individual actions are the responsibility of the institute. Whereas no they're not. We're not ONE. Also another thing, while this is a huge issue, and obviously there wouldn't be enough funds on earth to heal such a thing. The Vatican's floodgate of monies needs to go to the poor of this world in the forms of land, eco farms, cob and earth ship homes, gardens and green houses, clean energy devices, etc. I have been waiting for this. Instead, its going to be spread out to the haves still.

I want the Rothchild's share of half the worlds wealth, Queenies, all those who are sitting on the equal portion shares of the poor of this world redistributed.

Not lost to lawyers and court cases.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
They knew and hid the fact that their preachers were raping children?

You're goddamn right they're bloody liable! Thinking anything else is completely beyond any and all reason. If I had my way the priests who did it should be lined up and shot, double-tap. One in the crotch, one in the head. And those who covered it up should be thrown in the bloody Bastille never to be seen or heard from again.

Zero tolerance and making examples of the perpetrators and those who would harbour them. That is the only way we can possibly deal with the issue of pedophilia.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gauss
They knew and hid the fact that their preachers were raping children?

That is my issue with the whole damn mess.. Is they are in fact hiding the rapist, and covering it up.. Yet in the same breath, publicly denoucing sisters who help the poor and support gay rights.

Thus its like WTF.. really WTF..!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Your post sums up the absurdity pretty well, dude. Starred.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Excellent news! If anyone ever wants proof on the sheer institutional corruption that has overtaken the Roman Catholic Church then all they have to do is to look at this. They knew that the abuse was going on. They lied about it, moved people around (having first made them promise never to do it again, cross their hearts and hope to die, honest!) again and again and again. The whole thing is nauseating. But they claim that it's about an important legal point of principle now??? NO! They're just annoyed that they haven't been able to get away with it again, and they don't understand that the world has changed. Trust in the Church has been shattered.

new topics

top topics

join