It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hack exposes 450,000 Yahoo passwords

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Hack exposes 450,000 Yahoo passwords

betanews.com

Yahoo is investigating a hack that disclosed the usernames and passwords of at least 450,000 users. The attackers are believed to have gotten into the site through Yahoo Voices, the user-generated content site formerly known as Associated Content.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You will find within the link the list of all 450.000 hacked accounts, if you or anyone is having trouble accessing the list let me know and ill post up the list. Obviously the server that has the list is being hit from all over the world so it takes some time.

* Note to ATS members or friends, Make sure you check the list to see if your account has been infected. You will be surprised as to how many emails and facebook accounts have been hit since this list went online some 24hrs ago. So double check and change your passwords..

Good Luck
list

betanews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

P.S. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo accounts have been exposed..so take care and once again...Good Luck..

edit on 12-7-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Can't get to the list....says there is "high traffic". If you could post it, that would be great!! Thanks.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Apparently you can check to see if your yahoo address was in the list here

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Thank you for the heads-up, passwords now changed

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Not sure about the link provided by the above poster regarding checking as i am not sure if the link covers gmail and hotmail accounts.

Now as far as posting the complete list, i would like a staff member to u2u me to okay me regarding the posting of these accounts as i said, many account owners are not aware of the leak and as a result many many many facebook accounts are totally open and obviously gmail accounts and hotmail account that are used as recovery accounts to for multiple accounts.

As i said, its upto to ats to give me the green light regarding uploading the list, or you can do the wise thing and change your p/w's and recovery questions. One last thing, make sure you inform your buddies or who ever you may know about the leak and get them to change their p/w... etc.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Where is the reports about hotmail and gmail accounts being leaked? How did they get them as well?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Thanks for password managers today you can have unique password FOR EACH service. Never use the same password to multiple services.. it's probable the biggest mistake someone can make in this digital era.

Because you can't know how your password is saved in each service. You can't assume that it is safe, so an unique password for each site/service is a must.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
wait. People still use Yahoo???

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Where is the reports about hotmail and gmail accounts being leaked? How did they get them as well?

FROM
techcrunch.com... ly/

According to Sucuri’s analysis, Yahoo is the most popular domain in the email list, but it’s by no means the only one. It notes that 135,599 emails came from yahoo.com; but that a further 106,185 came from gmail.com; 54,393 from hotmail.com; 24,677 from aol.com; 8,422 from comcast.net and 6,282 msn.com. Note that these numbers are not exactly the same as those being tallied by others, but they are close. Daniel Cid, the CTO, also noted that there were multiple passwords from government accounts.

edit on 12/7/12 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

An analysis of the file by security firm ESET found that at least 2,295 users had a password with a sequential list of numbers, such as "123456". 780 used "password" as their password, and another 233 used the word "password" with a few numbers behind it. These are all passwords that could easily be cracked by the most novice of hackers.
reply to post by cerebralassassins

This was from the beta news link in the OP.

Seriously? 780 people used the word 'password' as their password?
Wow, I am beginning to believe these European members that tell us how stupid we Americans are.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Wow, I am beginning to believe these European members that tell us how stupid we Americans are.

I am sure that many of these password are from people that just create their account in the site just to check it and never came back again. but the fact is there are many that really use the word password thinking it is safe lol

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

ahhh now I understand this

when I clicked it they didn't give me any information about it - just tried to make me change my pw (which I do on the regular anyway)

off topic: I love that you still have that avatar
thats Bob right?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
So from what i can tell if you have never used yahoo's voice over IP then you should be safe?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

ahhh now I understand this

when I clicked it they didn't give me any information about it - just tried to make me change my pw (which I do on the regular anyway)

off topic: I love that you still have that avatar
thats Bob right?

Yes that is Bob, the eternal cult figure of ATS.

As uploading the p/w , well i haven't received any green light or any form of contact from mods/staff as to if i can upload them or not.
A brief indication of various emals and p/w, btw, not one email has the word admin or password as a complete access password.

hotmail.com:jessie
gmail.com:calypso
gmail.com:styk1965
hotmail.com:chocolat
yahoo.com:nehal
yahoo.com:10061971
gmail.com:alexsmom

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube

Originally posted by butcherguy

I am sure that many of these password are from people that just create their account in the site just to check it and never came back again. but the fact is there are many that really use the word password thinking it is safe lol

There are several emails from t.v. networks from the u.s. , russia

** Note there are a large number of emails with "ufo and numbers embeded as p/w and or username"
edit on 13-7-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I consider this to be a war waged on the internet, against privacy and personal information of innocent users.

Why isn't our government going after them then? Who knows who is really responsible, or who benefits... perhaps the government of said hackers?

Our government and other governments - Should be pursuing to the utmost the prosecution of any hackers that want to invade and violate anybody's internet accounts.... It's weird that none of the articles I read said anything about this.... like it's just bad luck, or some other unfortunate but unintentional misfortune that happened to occur.

Not true... these are people with evil intentions, and these people should be punished for their crimes. They waged a war, they should be dealt with accordingly.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

I understand, but in the cyber world and unless those people are living within the arms reach of the targeted nation then they are unable to do anything. It like trying to prosecute some chinese for hacking a u.s. site or the other way around...it simply wont happen and cant happen.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

cerebralassassins: Thank you for your quick response.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Continuing on my rant... Then CNET takes the list and analyzes the passwords... and doesn't do it directly, but infers that the users are to blame because many of the passwords are too simple. That may be true, but that should not be the focus of the issue. The issue is the breached hack....

It's like blaming the rape victim for the rape... and not focusing on the person or persons who did the raping.

edit on 13/7/2012 by MarkJS because: added phrase: "users are to blame"

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

Very true and well said, but sadly everyone has been brainwashed in believing that gmail, yahoo, facebook, aol, and every other free network is safe and hack proof. The truth of the matter is..they are as stong as their weakest link. They will always be susceptible to attacks, they can always be accessed and this kind of news will always be around for eternity......unless....the governments require you to access the internet via a secure id card that will be issued by them....and so through time the law ushers in the internet monitoring id card. But that to wont be safe but it will give the global government access to information that five decades ago was considered a dream and slowly its becoming a reality.

Who ever holds the most intelligence on the human race, ... inevitably they will dominate them. ( meaning the planet and its inhabitants )
edit on 13-7-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join