It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Cops Tase Man For Refusing To ID

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by IceHappy

There was absolutely no excuse for this none what so ever.

Almost guarantee they followed procedure perfectly. Like it or not, jaywalking is an offense, and when you do it in front of a cop you may be asked to show ID. When you act like a punk about showing ID then resist arrest, then run away expect to get tased.

Are you trying to say I must be a cop because I don't agree with the ridiculous assertion that these cops violated this guy? What would it matter if I was a cop? I would still be right.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
again i feel i should post this video and recommend people go to the site FlexYourRights i know how people like to read the first post and then skip to the end

It very clear when you know the facts that this guy was in the wrong and handled the situation badly.
edit on 12-7-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrclean1
reply to post by Ben81

ANYBODY PLEASE!!! HOE DO YOU START A THREAD ??

Lol a little bit off topic

To start a thread click on "Forum"
then choose the proper one and click on the icon that represent it
you will see the latest threads posted in that particular forum you have choosen
at the top left you will see "New Thread"
click on it and you will be ready to post your new thread

Take a look at this thread for more info

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First. ***ALL Members Read!***,

hope it helped

edit on 7/12/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I have never said this before, but I will say it now. In a situation like this, I believe it is ok to physically defend yourself against police.

Before people get all outraged by my suggestion of using physical force to defend yourself, let us look at the guidelines for when to use or NOT use the Taser.

Safety Issues The weapons should be used only on people (1) actively resisting or exhibiting active aggression or (2) at risk of harming themselves or others, according to PERF. And the fact that a subject is fleeing should not be the sole justification for police to use the weapons.

The weapons should not be used:

1. on passive subjects;

2. on pregnant women, elderly persons, young children, or visibly frail individuals (except under exigent circumstances);

3. on handcuffed individuals (unless they are actively resisting or exhibiting active aggression or at risk of harming themselves or anyone else);

4. on anyone located where a fall may cause substantial injury or death (except under exigent circumstances);

5. on anyone in physical control of a moving vehicle, including cars, trucks, motorcycles, ATVs, bicycles, and scooters, (except under exigent circumstances); or

6. in any area known to contain combustible or flammable liquids or substance.

SOURCE

So after looking at these guidelines we can clearly see that

1. This is a passive person. He is asking for the statue which requires him to provide an ID. He is not running, he is not acting aggressively. Instead of simply answering the man's question, Police escalated the use of force by physically grabbing this man. Why does this matter? Because many States DO have laws requiring people to show ID. So if your State has this law, then Police should have no issue with simply providing that information.

2. The unnecessary use of the Taser in this situation is also a violation of #4. A fall on concrete can and does result in death. It happens very often and I was recently involved, indirectly, in just such a case that resulted in death when a man sucker punched a 19 year old kid. The 19 year old fell to the ground, hitting his head on the concrete resulting is serious head trauma. He never regained consciousness and later died of his injuries. The man who hit him was sentenced to 30 years in prison for manslaughter.
Source

At the end of the day, what really strikes me in watching this video is that the Police did not have to escalate the use of force. Does anyone doubt that if these Officers had called a Supervisor, that this suspect would have sat down and happily waited to speak to the Supervisor? I don't. Even after being grabbed by Officers, he does not throw or push them off. He stands there, he resists the cuffs being put on but he is not doing so in an aggressive fashion that would make these Officers fear for their own safety.

Let us also put some more perspective on this.... it was an issue of JAYWALKING!! Is there anyone here who thinks about crime and will openly say that Jaywalking is on the top of the list for concerns? Anyone at all? Many States have such silly jaywalking laws that your average person would not even know them. As an example it is legal to jaywalk in some places if you are between 2 crosswalks intersections and one of those intersections is not controlled by a light signal, but in States with those type of laws it is stipulated that the person crossing the street must yield to the right of way of traffic.

This was simply an issue of control and compliance. This Officer with his cute Magic Mike biker shorts did not have the time or care to address one the slaves and actually explain himself. He wanted compliance right then and there and to not be questioned.

I have to be honest... I wish something like this would happen to me. I really do. I would probably end up dead because I would resist with force, but I would LOVE to have one chance to drop one of these power hungry, biker short wearing bi***** like a bad habit.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3

It very clear when you know the facts that this guy was in the wrong and handled the situation badly.

It is very clear to me that this whole situation could have easily been avoided by the Officer simply answering the question and showing or telling this man what law requires him to show ID.

Again, we are talking about a suspected jaywalking suspect. This is not a violent crime. There is no injury and there is no victim. Chances are, while this whole incident was taking place and was requiring the assistance of 3 Police Officers.. someone, right down the street was being robbed, raped, molested or murdered. Instead of worrying about real crimes, that have real victims, it is much more important to get those crazy jaywalkers and issue them a fine.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Okay...
These folks are slightly right, but more so they are wrong.
First off, they are correct that there is no FL state statute that says you must have a state issued ID, at this time. However, they are incorrect in the fact that they do not have to identify themselves on demand during a “terry stop”. The problem is that most officers will only accept a state or federal issued ID as being a legitimate form of ID, anything else can be falsified, and that is crime unto itself. ATM, if you don't want to comply with the Florida version of the “Real ID Act”, your best recourse is to get a passport ID card.

Secondly, he IS resisting arrest...
He may not be battering the officer, but he is still resisting. This is why “battery on a law enforcement officer” and “resisting arrest” are two different charges. Resisting arrest is simply failing to comply with the lawful orders of an officer while being arrested (ie. not voluntarily putting your hands behind your back). Folks seem to have a problem with getting these two different things mixed up.

Third, they are under no obligation to get a supervisor while you are in the processes of resisting being arrested. If that were the case, then every criminal would start yelling “get me a supervisor” as they were fleeing the scene of the crime.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This seems to have gone as well as it could.
The woman howling in the background should have been arrested for obstruction, if she would have only filmed and not been blocking and yelling, I would have had no problem with her.
The "suspect" although well within his rights to start should have complied but he chose to push the situation.
Good for him, although he had to get tased, now he has a CLEAR case against these officers.
The best part, after being handcuffed I would think he was not beaten.
So a couple of jolts and a few hours work....err incarceration and this guy is financially set for a few years.
It is a win / win situation for our rights and the "suspects" wallet.
If said "suspect" would have caved in and "fought" or shown his ID voluntarily, this would have gone differently.
He would be beaten or dead or just have no real case.
All is good now.
The officers involved just may end up getting a refresher course in their constitutional duties to boot.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
You guys are ridiculous. The kid jaywalked and was also riding his bike without a helmet. The police were well within there right to ID him. You act like a little punk when given a lawful order, you get arrested. You resist, you get tazed. I love these videos.

Kid! That's a freaking old "kid". How can you jaywalk with a bike? Finally I did a search (being UK citizen and long term ATS'er) and there is NO LAW IN THE US for wearing a cycle helmet.

So I'm afraid your lovey dovey attachment to these power hungry youth cops is shattered.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad

Originally posted by Domo1
You guys are ridiculous. The kid jaywalked and was also riding his bike without a helmet. The police were well within there right to ID him. You act like a little punk when given a lawful order, you get arrested. You resist, you get tazed. I love these videos.

Kid! That's a freaking old "kid". How can you jaywalk with a bike? Finally I did a search (being UK citizen and long term ATS'er) and there is NO LAW IN THE US for wearing a cycle helmet.

So I'm afraid your lovey dovey attachment to these power hungry youth cops is shattered.

Okay, this is where America is apparently radically different from the United Kingdom and if so, it isn't in a good way I'd say. You say the U.S. has no law about a cycle helmet. You're absolutely right. There are also n U.S. laws about Seatbelts, Motorcycle helmets or car insurance. Not a single law I know of for one of them....at the US/Federal level.

What you have and probably didn't know to even look for is that there are state laws down to county and local laws and ordinances. A bicycle helmet would probably fall under the kind of thing that varies from one town to the next.. I don't know, some states may be universal but ours has some towns.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The cops have stopped using Tasers as a last resort before drawing their weapons and using lethal force, where I supported them having the things. Now, they're coming more and more to using them as a punitive measure.

Now what do we call the application of electricity beyond the point of incapacitating someone and without imminent threat to life or limb? Gee....they called it torture when we were doing it with US Troops in some of the more nasty cases of the VIP wing at Abu Ghraib Prison and the detention barracks at Bagram. Torture indeed.....

So why isn't it torture when it's being done to U.S. Civilians on the street by civilian police? We wouldn't suggest the Taliban Fighters are better or more deserving of protections than our own citizens would we? Seems to be exactly what this behavior says though, huh?

It is most definitely TORTURE and what is unbelievable is that crowds of adults don't call a general strike to deal with and surround their elected representatives offices in every town until it is, along with a long list of other things.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
What a joke. He broke a law, jaywalking? And didn't identify so taser him? Tasering is supposed to replace deadly force, PERIOD, any other use of it is TORTURE. And so he would have been shot repeatedly? For refusing to identify. Not for taking his gun out or anything?

If that was my teenage or young adult child and it happened like that I wouldn't give a flying rats ass what the actual illegal, wording of their assine illegal fascist 'rules' that to me just make them all criminally guilty of treason, and slavery, or what a judge or anyone else would say. They would be tagged and tormented, facing this on all levels, day in and day out everyone involved until IT WAS OFF THE BOOKS AND ONLY MY DEFINITION OF REASONABLE ON THE BOOKS.

They wouldn't have a coffee break in peace. Not even the judge, or whatever poltician empowers TORTURE.
edit on 12-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

How can you jaywalk with a bike?

Any pedestrian can be charged with Jaywalking, including a bicyclist. Even with a bike you have to cross at an intersection or in a pedestrian crosswalk, and with traffic control signals if applicable.

Finally I did a search (being UK citizen and long term ATS'er) and there is NO LAW IN THE US for wearing a cycle helmet.

It varies state by state, but the state of Florida has no laws requiring the use of helmets on bikes or motorcycles.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
What a joke. He broke a law, jaywalking? And didn't identify so taser him?

He was not tasered for jaywalking, he was tasered for resisting arrest...

The problem here is that he was being issued a citation for jaywalking, and that means the officer has to verify who is he writing the ticket too. I believe that once you have committed a crime, you are under a different status then someone who is just an innocent bystander. So the laws regarding not presenting ID are different for someone who has actually broken the law vs someone who is just a suspicious person.

FL statues regarding “Stop and Identify” fall under our loitering law:

856.021 Loitering or prowling; penalty.—
(1) It is unlawful for any person to loiter or prowl in a place, at a time or in a manner not usual for law-abiding individuals, under circumstances that warrant a justifiable and reasonable alarm or immediate concern for the safety of persons or property in the vicinity.
(2) Among the circumstances which may be considered in determining whether such alarm or immediate concern is warranted is the fact that the person takes flight upon appearance of a law enforcement officer, refuses to identify himself or herself, or manifestly endeavors to conceal himself or herself or any object. Unless flight by the person or other circumstance makes it impracticable, a law enforcement officer shall, prior to any arrest for an offense under this section, afford the person an opportunity to dispel any alarm or immediate concern which would otherwise be warranted by requesting the person to identify himself or herself and explain his or her presence and conduct. No person shall be convicted of an offense under this section if the law enforcement officer did not comply with this procedure or if it appears at trial that the explanation given by the person is true and, if believed by the officer at the time, would have dispelled the alarm or immediate concern.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

He was tasered for not giving ID. What was his resist. Why should he not resist. I consider all police adn judges, all employees and they had better use very respectful good behavior all the time, and only resort to the extreme in life threatening instances. I consider most legislations crimes by the way. I would never stand under them and do not allow the corrupt evil system without standing up. I post so they can read, and I know they do. I had choppers fly over, chasing what we cited, phone taps and TR3B's, not to mention other things. So these get through better than letters, which I have also written.

I don't consider arrest to be the way to handle misdeamers.

Again, did I see LETHAL FORCE? NO! Otherwise tasers are torture and if they thought he was resisting, why didn't they use traditional methods to detain?

That anyone allows such a corrupt system and dumps this as an ugly gift on their children is insane.

I also consider anyone who agrees with the corruption co-responsible for it.

If the majority felt like me there would not a single corrupt person in office or any form of fascism anywhere.

People are responsible for what they are allowing. Put your child in everyone's place and ask some simple question.

Is it reasonable? NO ITS NOT!
edit on 12-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
After reading all these comments, some I agree with and others I don't...

I see this happening to the wrong person one day and a holy war starting.
Imagine if someone with a few bad sentiments towards authority got treated like that?
I seriously see this happening to the wrong guy and it being the "shot heard around the US."

The problem is with these "officers", the situation could've been resolved quickly.
But, I guarantee NO "officers" have knowledge of every, single statute in their state.
That is merely an impossible situation.

So, maybe they should've put their ego's aside and let him go to avoid the situation.

To me, it seems as though the black guy was practicing Common Law knowledge.
And the "officers" were practicing Corporate Law.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Cops are terrorists.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
Wonder if the stand you ground law works if so I'd pop em all for injustice

i gave you a star for that and could not agree more with you, but be careful in your posts about inciting violence against the police with posts, I've been warned before for saying less.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I'm no fan of police abuse, and they likely didnt need to taze him repeatedly, but they are absolutely withint their rights as cops to demand ID once they have seen him breaking the law. Furthermore, once you as a citizen engage in conversation with a cop you give them the right to demand ID.

Learn the law and dont get tazed, bro.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
I'm no fan of police abuse, and they likely didnt need to taze him repeatedly, but they are absolutely withint their rights as cops to demand ID once they have seen him breaking the law. Furthermore, once you as a citizen engage in conversation with a cop you give them the right to demand ID.

Learn the law and dont get tazed, bro.

Learn the law huh? That is very good advice, let us see how well you follow your own advice while verifying your claims all at the same time.

Can you show us the law from any US State that says once you are engaged in a conversation with a Police Officer, they can demand ID and you must comply?

What you are describing is not only false, but flat out silly. If a Cop stops by the McDonald's drive thru and I am the cashier. He does not have a right to demand ID from me because I took his order and told him to have a nice day. If you can show us a law from any US State that says otherwise, I will happily eat my words.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I watch that video and I see a bunch of jerks that just want to give each other a hard time.

Just show the freaking ID already. Or ask for a freaking lawyer and get it over with already.

All that drama for nothing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join