It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Studies Tie Human Bladder Infections To Antibiotics In Chicken

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Studies Tie Human Bladder Infections To Antibiotics In Chicken

www.npr.org

What do some persistent human bladder infections and some innocent-looking chicken cutlets have in common? Drug-resistant E. coli, scientists say.

How the same bad bug got in both places is the focus of a recent investigation by Maryn McKenna, a journalist with the Food and Environment Reporting Network who, in her own words, "finds emerging diseases strangely exciting." She's the author of the book SUPERBUG, which is all about drug-resistant staph infections, and she blogs about antibiotic resistance over at Wired
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
m.theatlantic.com

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I have included two other links to round out the story. This seems to prove what many of us already knew: Widespread use of antibiotics creates stronger germs. The solution is the elimination of factory farming or at least stronger laws concerning the cleanliness of these operations. I saw them first hand when I was young and living in Arkansas. People living in the chicken farming towns were constantly sick. You knew when you were close because of the smell.

Buy your chicken from people you know and make sure you are buying chickens you can meet.

www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-7-2012 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I just heard something in the last day or so that 80% of antibiotics produced are administered to animals. Don't know if that's just a few countries or world wide. I'll look into it further. But, if it's in the animals you eat then you're getting "antibiotic'd" too. I'm sure that's a word.

So now because of "super" bacteria, you can play hell to get antibiotics from your doctor when you need them but the chicken down the street has no problem. Next time you feel a case of strep throat coming on, I guess go eat some chicken !

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

The most troubling aspect of this to me is the fact that in order to be able to advertise to consumers that "Our chickens are not fed antibiotics" they began to inject the antibiotics into the unhatched eggs...

Industrial producers knew that even though consumers were feeling the effects feeding antibiotics to chickens they weren't "stopping the practice" just redefining the matter so they could continue to do it...

And the FDA (or was it the USDA) gave them all the cover they needed to avoid any liability for the practice.

I expect the associations of advertisers to take action soon to 'redefine' - yet again - that what their clients do still "doesn't count" as feeding antibiotics to chickens....

Meanwhile people get sick.
edit on 12-7-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Found these little snippets from the story very interesting.

Does this prove a definite link between drug-resistant bacteria in food animals – chickens, in this case – and human infections?

It depends on what "proof" means —

What are some of the other possible explanations?

The one I find most interesting is mentioned in the Atlantic piece. That is, that the resistant bacteria in both humans and chickens are part of a greater microbial ecology whose cycling through the environment, agriculture and human society isn't completely understood. (More critiques of the report from the food industry here.)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Antibiotic use in animals is a terrible practice...as it is mostly used to promote growth in the livestock...not to treat illness. My understanding is that this practice is outlawed in many other countries ( for good reason.) As a result of continued use in the US, food borne illness is on the rise as well as infections and drug-resistant diseases in humans.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I am a living example of what synthetic drugs including antibiotics can do to the human body.

I have become allergic to no just certain type of the sulfa base one but also the ones that are supposed to be the least giving reactions of them.

My last bout with the Biaxin (clarythromyxin) was two trips to the emergency room and the associated assortment of antihistamines, cortisones and more.

But guess what people I was tested for pure unadulterated simple penicillin and no allergic reactions at all

The drug manufacturers are poisoning us and our food supplies and getting away with it. What people doesn't understand is that synthetic drugs are poison but because to made them cheaper they are full with crap fillers.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

An allergy is not the same as being poisoned. It would serve you well to see how allergies can develop over time. And penicillin is not "simple" penicillin, i know they told you the moldy bread story in school but today it is mass produced with chemicals like the rest of them.
edit on 12-7-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

I have been tested two times for allergies including foods, due to be so sensible to allergy reactions, it is not the natural products the ones that gives me allergies but anything that contain synthetic additive, that goes for any type from processed food items to detergents and prescription drugs.

In other words as long as I am as natural as I can I don't have any problems.

But right now synthetic antibiotics can kill me Is not many choices left for me.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

it is not the natural products the ones that gives me allergies but anything that contain synthetic additive,

Then Penicillin should be on that list of things that give you an allergic reaction, it is mass produced with chemicals like the rest. Natural vs synthetic has nothing to do with what you are allergic to. You just happen to be allergic to some things. Do you honestly think there is some organic mold farm that they just scrape the penicillin off the top of moldy bread and deliver it to hospitals or something?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Well in my 52 years of life I pretty much has gotten use to avoid anything that can bring an allergy reaction, but when it comes to manufactured drugs well that is what doctors call it, "trial and error" but can cost my life.

And interesting I have not reaction from straight penicillin. The reaction to drugs like antibiotics is a delayed reaction I can take the entire dose the reactions comes when the body tries to get rid of the left over of the medication.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

You realize that penicillin is a manufactured drug right?
I am allergic to grass, that does not mean the gardeners are out to poison us all.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Good post. I acquired an allergy to chicken years ago. I look at all labels to make sure there is no chicken in it. Funny, but I am also allergic to a lot of antibiotics, which of course some have chicken in them. Same as flu shots. I was told that Amish chickens are not given antibiotics. ?? I don't miss eating chicken!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

This is one of the reasons why my family and I started keeping our own Chickens and growing veg. No drugs, chemicals or cruelty... just good natural organic eggs, meet and veg... and, of course, happy chickens

The benefits of keeping chickens

Peace

edit on 12-7-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

It is actually fairly simple and cheap but a lot of cities have laws against such things.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Well in my 52 years of life I pretty much has gotten use to avoid anything that can bring an allergy reaction, but when it comes to manufactured drugs well that is what doctors call it, "trial and error" but can cost my life.

And interesting I have not reaction from straight penicillin. The reaction to drugs like antibiotics is a delayed reaction I can take the entire dose the reactions comes when the body tries to get rid of the left over of the medication.

Soooo....which Penicillin out of the mix are you not allergic to? F? G? X? V? Any allergies to any of the rest of the cillins in that antibiotic family? What about the rest of the antibiotic families in general, which are you allergic to?

I'm not calling you a liar, far from it. But I am suggesting maybe you're pulling a bit of a sensationalist number while perhaps being quite a bit uninformed on antibiotics--while there is 1 lone Pen that is still "natural" (sorry fellas, one still is genuine) you didn't mention WHICH Penicillin you were prescribed, so I'm inclined to believe you were more likely given a synthetic.

new topics

top topics

join