It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army Terminates NASCAR connections...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I searched and checked a few different keywords and nothing popped for this. I believe it's clear.

Army terminating its NASCAR sponsorship

The Army will not return to Stewart-Haas Racing next season, effectively ending its sponsorship in NASCAR altogether after a decade. SHR said Tuesday it is pursuing a new sponsor

The Army has been in NASCAR for 10 seasons, and at one point was a primary sponsor. It moved to SHR to sponsor Ryan Newman in 2009 when the team was formed.

The decision to leave NASCAR comes as Reps. Betty McCollum, D-Minn., and Jackson Kingston, R-Ga., are pushing an amendment that would prohibit military sponsorship of sports.
Source

Now this is a bit curious since NASCAR support has been just wall to wall...until this week. Hmm.. The timing here is more than a little interesting. Let me share 'the rest of the story' as it may very well apply.

President Obama’s NASCAR tickets auctioned, but don’t bring much at N.H. track

When President Barack Obama turned down free tickets to this weekend’s Sprint Cup race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, the track hoped to auction off the “presidential” tickets to raise big money for charity. Instead, the tickets went for less than face value.

Gappens had originally hoped that President Obama might stop by the speedway while he was in New Hampshire on a campaign visit June 25. But Obama’s campaign declined the invitation, saying that it did “appreciate the offer.”
So urce

I'd seen the story about his tickets being a total flop earlier in the week and now I read that auction had been sitting there and kinda rotting away for quite a bit of time. It wasn't a one day thing at all. Yet, the Army announcement to drop NASCAR like a bad habit comes the same day Obama's NASCAR tickets basically made a fool of him. I can't imagine another time where the combination of official Presidential memorabilia combined with NASCAR wouldn't have sold well for collectors interest if nothing else. Heck, some Barry Goldwater stuff is worth a good bit of coin these days and most younger people have no idea who the man even was.

So with that in mind, I just knew that NASCAR was going to get hit and hit hard in some way. Arizona and Texas have both been living examples of just how lonely it can be when the Feds won't even lift finger when half your state is burning down (ask Texas about last year....the rage is still hot down there over it). Obama actually had a NASCAR race car mounted in the Rose Garden as a Photo-Op Prop when he liked NASCAR. Now that they're on his crap list? Wow...one of their bg Government supporters of 10 years just says sorry, see ya...not interested anymore.

To save money perhaps?? Okay..I admit I had to work hard to keep a straight face while asking that one.

So did NASCAR just pay the price of offending the Kin...err....President?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
tax dollars used to fund a million dollar nascar team.

does the military and the government think taxes are their own private piggy bank to fund toys with.

why them. why not you given a blank check to be ryan newmans boss.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I suspect redneckery and racism. I doubt very much if your average race fan is an Obama supporter. Thus they wouldn't be in any hurry to sit in his seats at a race. Also very likely that the Army has revoked sponsorship in retaliation or has been ordered to for reasons of retaliation.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Perhaps the return on the investment wasn't high enough.. It's possible that the sponsorship did not recruit enough people or the people that did try to sign up failed to meet the standards to join the military.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Obviously it is the result of political favoritism. I wonder when the US Army will be announcing it's new support of Wall Street investment banks.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
And yet the National Guard still continues its sponsorships in both NASCAR and Indycar.
I'm a racing fan but I can imagine a great many people being upset that government funds (essentially our own tax dollars) being used in such an admittedly frivolous way...

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Always seemed to me that Army advertisements on race cars was a waste.

I mean, arent they just preaching to the choir?

It's like a Skoal sponsorship on a race car.

The hillbillies are going to chew it regardless and not very many high-brow academics are watching races so you wont be "tricking" them or turning them over to the Skoal camp subliminally or anything.

Most of those hicks are going enlist anyway.

I get the video game ads and the shallow hormonal pimping of media like Act of Valor. Those things reach wider audiences. Audiences who otherwise wouldnt necessarily be farm boys with four generations of military in their families.

But car racing? Until they get morbidly obese they're destined to be cannon fodder.
edit on 12-7-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I must admit, my view point has changed a bit and it wouldn't be intellectually honest not to make a note of it. Everything I wrote in my OP is factually accurate, of course...but a friend mentioned a couple things on this that I hadn't honestly thought of before. I believe I've heard 100 mamby pamby wimpy reasons for why the "big evil Military" shouldn't be in one event or another...or using it's recruiting budget allotment how it sees fit. I really can't say I've ever heard a GOOD one, until this evening anyway.

What my friend pointed out was simply that the U.S. Armed Forces should have more dignity than to have the U.S. Marine Corps or U.S. Army painted down the side of a car running races in big circles all day, where a box of cereal may have been painted before...and maybe next it'll be a bottle of Orange Juice or whatever else may come.

I hadn't considered the fact that basically selling service to the nation like it's a box of cereal with a 'cool treat' inside or something really does cheapen it. Anyway.....I just figured I ought to come back and share that. It doesn't mean I fault anyone who still agrees with the position I first took for the report in the OP, I just think the one I was shown makes as much or more sense.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
All military sponsorship of sporting events is being ended. The National Guard is technically a separate entity, because they belong to the states, not the federal government.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Stupid question...if the National Guard belongs to "the states", how are they centralized enough to make any collective decisions like having sponsorships? Do they have their own congress with representatives from each state and vote on decisions?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I see how you're trying to spin this and I counter by saying that the military has no business sponsoring sports or events of any type. Period.

I'm not shocked that Obama's tickets did not fetch much. It is NH.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Honestly, you're grasping for straws here.

You really think that a bunch of race fans influenced the decision of the military to pull-out? That's like saying that 2+2=5.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
NASCAR is losing money as it is. My brother in law works for the company that makes the t shirts for the races and his company is laying off workers. Everyone is feeling the pinch. I just asked him to see if he could find me a job the other day and he said there are none and he is lucky to have a job as it is.

The people that go to the races are the exact demographic that is hurting the worst in this depression. Not a recession or downturn, depression. I can not understand why that term is being avoided. It's a depression and it's not getting any better in any way shape or form. We are all so seriously doomed. I went through several recessions since I started my business. They did not affect me. This depression though has destroyed my business and I am out of work. NASCAR is feeling it too. Everyone that is not rich is feeling it.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

I see how you're trying to spin this and I counter by saying that the military has no business sponsoring sports or events of any type. Period.

I'm not shocked that Obama's tickets did not fetch much. It is NH.

Actually sword, my OP absolutely came from a specific view point and position. No question....but please take my second post at face value. Nothing fancy and no trickery meant or attempted here. I posted this story and a slighty different commentary in two places within a few minutes. Here and the other site I work at. The other one is where a respected friend took me off to one side for a chat and presented his heartfelt opinion on this from that side of things.

Well... I've never been an ideologue and I never will be. It took him awhile..but he made his point, it made sense, and I more than half regret the way I presented the commentary now. He managed to change my view on it.

Not everyone coming here is just standing firm to fight.. I know you've been flexible in debates I've seen and I certainly can be. This case happened to be a thread I OP'ed. Not the most comfortable timing or example for me.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by elliotmtl

There is still a CinC for the National Guard, just like the "regular" military. The big difference is that the states buy the equipment, and the "Commander in Chief" of the National Guard for that state is usually someone like the Attorney General of that state. They still are used by the "regular" military to perform some missions, for example a large number of tankers and bombers are actually Reserve and Guard units, but the Federal Gov't has to "borrow" them for lack of a better term. In fact there has been an attempt lately to create a Joint Chiefs seat for the National Guard.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This is nothing really surprising. The Military has been under fire for it's NASCAR sponsorships for at least the last 5 years. And while I don't personally care one way or another where the recruitment budget goes, frankly i would rather see it painted on a car opposed to hiring a professional liar that suckers kids barely out of high school into service. I can see where it it would make citizens angry o have those dollars spent this way.
edit on 13-7-2012 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

My buddies in recruiting are saying that recruitment is at all time highs, and they have more people with college educations and wonderful backgrounds applying than they know what to do with. Perhaps wasting money on recruiting in this environment is just a bad idea? The economy has people eager to join the military for some experience, and some income, and hopefully by the time they serve their time the economy will be better for job seeking. In this economy, they don't need to be spending millions on name recognition for recruiting. I expect the TV commercials to start going by the wayside as well.

As far as the politicians movement, that is a stupid idea. Why wouldn't they sponsor sporting events? Military and sports kind of go hand in hand. Sports are just mock battle and friendly competition without killing each other. They are the perfect place to advertise the military.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Dale Jr the most popular driver in the US of any racing series has the National Guard sponsorship.

The sponsorship is a partial deal - the National Guard is getting plenty of free advertisment out of it. Trust me they aren't getting ripped off & could do alot worse with their advertising dollars.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
Dale Jr the most popular driver in the US of any racing series has the National Guard sponsorship.

The sponsorship is a partial deal - the National Guard is getting plenty of free advertisment out of it. Trust me they aren't getting ripped off & could do alot worse with their advertising dollars.

"Free advertisment"??
Putting your logo on a Nascar vehicle, and uniform is FAR from FREE!

How do you know they aren't getting ripped off? Do they need the advertisement if recruiting is already more than they can handle? Is it money well spent? Can they get more views from another source like the Olympics or College Football for an equal or even lower price?

I've often wondered these things myself. I see the direct benefit of a parts store, oil company, gas company, beer, etc., but there are some things I just don't get. Why does Aaron's furniture want to be such a big sponsor? They could get more bang for their buck a lot of other ways. What about the tiny little sponsors that barely get noticed, but still pay good money to be in some obscure location on the car or the uniform?

Sponsorship is about a lot more than advertising, but when looking at it from a solely economic standpoint, it is about the worst way to spend an advertising dollar.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by BABYBULL24

"Free advertisment"??
Putting your logo on a Nascar vehicle, and uniform is FAR from FREE!

How do you know they aren't getting ripped off? Do they need the advertisement if recruiting is already more than they can handle? Is it money well spent? Can they get more views from another source like the Olympics or College Football for an equal or even lower price?

I've often wondered these things myself. I see the direct benefit of a parts store, oil company, gas company, beer, etc., but there are some things I just don't get. Why does Aaron's furniture want to be such a big sponsor? They could get more bang for their buck a lot of other ways. What about the tiny little sponsors that barely get noticed, but still pay good money to be in some obscure location on the car or the uniform?

Sponsorship is about a lot more than advertising, but when looking at it from a solely economic standpoint, it is about the worst way to spend an advertising dollar.

Go to Google Images "Dale Earnhardt Jr" & let me know what you see?

DJ National Guard

Thats free advertising - everytime he appears on ESPN, Speed Channel, Fox or is on the cover a magazine - free advertising.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join