It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. moving submersibles to Persian Gulf to oppose Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

U.S. moving submersibles to Persian Gulf to oppose Iran

latimesblogs.latimes.com

WASHINGTON — The Navy is rushing dozens of unmanned underwater craft to the Persian Gulf to help detect and destroy mines in a major military buildup aimed at preventing Iran from closing the strategic Strait of Hormuz in the event of a crisis, U.S. officials said.

The tiny SeaFox submersibles each carry an underwater television camera, homing sonar and an explosive charge. The Navy bought them in May after an urgent request by Marine Gen. James Mattis, the top U.S. commander in the Middle East.

Each submersible is about 4 feet long and weighs less than 100 pounds. The craft are intend
(visit the link for the full news article)

Non Blog Source

edit on 7/12/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Can you hear the war drums?

So all this postering and positioning, we've seen a lot of sabber rattling in the last 2 or 3 years.

But to what end? Will there be conflict in Iran with the United States and Israel, or will it just continue to be this chess game of who has the bigger weapons?

As much as we see the war propaganda mounting, it seems like increasingly they are 'weary' of how to react or what to do.

In this case it seems that the US intends to perhaps usurp Iran's sovereign and legal right ( as far as I understand) to close the straight of Hormuz.

As well as detect and remove mines that have supposedly been placed.

Thoughts ATS?

~Tenth

latimesblogs.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Can you hear the war drums?

No I can't. This is just a chess game of Iran threatening mine warfare, and the US threatening to neutralize this threat. Just one part of negotiations.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
If Iranian ships were in the Gulf clearing mines or whatever the US may have hidden, they wouldn't return to port I tells ya.

Additional link, that's not a blog:
www.latimes.com...
edit on 12-7-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think this is a duplicate thread. I thought I saw this thread earlier and now I'm not able to find it. Was it removed? as it also contained pics.

Previous_ATS_Thread

ATS_Search
edit on 12-7-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Urgh, didn't even notice it was in the blog section.

Thanks for the link, I added it to my OP

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
These are the drones I presume. If they are the same set I read about last night (How many can the Navy have at the moment??) Then they were purchased in a crash procurement program in MAY of this year. Anyone military around here? Had contact with the Services? I'm no on 1 and yes on 2. Perhaps a service member would like to chime in, but I don't recall much of anyting working when first deployed....and we seem to be hinging a hell of a lot on these remot control bathtub toys we JUST BOUGHT. Gee... I hope they are more hack-proof that the Drone they stole out of Mid-Air.

I hope Obama has some real big surprises. All I see so far is George Bush's arrogance in an undermanned Iraq invasion but on steroids and carried with pride like it's a positive thing for the run up to Iran.

70 Million people...Iran has and they have successfully orbited Satellites using domestic technology. This isn't Iraq and these aren't uneducated primitives. We're choosing a war against the remnants of one of the greater Empires Earth has seen in recent times....and they have the unbroken legacy, unlike Iraq which became a nation because the World Powers chose to make it one after the Ottoman's went goodbye.

Yikes.. We're doomed if he doesn't have A LOT we aren't seeing for this fight.[

edit on 12-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
And the Droid war begins as the first shot is fired underwater, away from the public. Soon the public demands that all wars be fought underwater, by only droids, somewhere else, in a few more years, when we have more droids. Next; Clone Wars.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
War with Iran is planned for September or immediately after elections. It is very avoidable but leaders once in power, lose their minds and gentle logic.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

In this case it seems that the US intends to perhaps usurp Iran's sovereign and legal right ( as far as I understand) to close the straight of Hormuz.

I dont believe it is. While they have the right to close the strip of water close to Iran, that area does not encompass the entire straight. The shipping lanes are a twelve mile wide stretch down the middle that are considered international waters. Closing those would be illegal, and violate Saudi Arabias right to ship their oil.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
You would be mistaken, tothetenthpower. International law considers the strait international waters. It can only be block in an act of self-defense, and no military conflict has begun. Until then it must remain an open shipping lane as it is used by United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Iran, and those are only countries exporting. Countless others use it for importing goods. That being said we probably have a tight grip on international courts that determine such laws. Iran could sue for the right on the grounds that EU and UN sanctions are acts of hostility, but it would probably go nowhere. If they block it they will give the PTB the excuse they need for further sanctions or war.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

I dont believe it is. While they have the right to close the strip of water close to Iran, that area does not encompass the entire straight. The shipping lanes are a twelve mile wide stretch down the middle that are considered international waters. Closing those would be illegal, and violate Saudi Arabias right to ship their oil.

See that I did not know, thank you for that information.

SO they could close a strip of it, but does that impeed any other nation if they only close their portion?

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

See that I did not know, thank you for that information.

SO they could close a strip of it, but does that impeed any other nation if they only close their portion?

~Tenth

Thats how i understand it.

While yes, they do have the right to close or block whatever they like in their waters, that in itself would not impede international shipping lanes, which run through the centre twelve mile stretch. It would however be against maritime and international law to block the waters in the middle. If this was done, i would imagine a petition be put forth to the UN demanding it being re-opened, and if not Iran would face dire consequences.

But we all know this would be the catalyst leading to war.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

~Tenth

I think this is a duplicate thread. I thought I saw this thread earlier and now I'm not able to find it. Was it removed? as it also contained pics.
Previous_ATS_Thread
ATS_Search

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

~Tenth

Previous_ATS_Thread
ATS_Search

Indeed it is.

Please add your comments to the already in progress thread.

Closed.

~Tenth

top topics

join