It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Canadian Supreme Court strikes down copyright fees on music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

The Supreme Court of Canada made a landmark decision to scrap fees for music download services in Canada. With the new rulings, online music stores will no longer have to pay for song previews and Internet service providers will no longer be charged for individuals downloading music files, the Globe and Mail reports.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Nice!
Yet the tariff on streaming music will still be allowed.

Think the US will follow suit? For normally it's Canada copying US policies, not the other way around.
edit on 7/12/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Proper EX tags placed.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
S&F,

this is huge! Sets a precedent for the US, to some degree.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It seems that Canada, the U.K., Australia (to a small degree), and the U.S. often share a degree of laws. They seem to take turns on giving precedent for new laws.

It might be that the U.S. will follow though in a way I sort of doubt it will happen. Now I could see the U.S. moving to a flat rate fine instead of allowing it to go to court for outrageous amounts. I find this more likely since so many of the big entertainment companies have much of congress in their pockets.

The greed of the entertainment business is enormous unending and will be their ultimate downfall. An example of this is yearly Viacom insists on wanting to raise their rates to providers in turn raising the rates to the viewer. Yet Viacom still puts out the same stuff showing rerun after rerun (yes we watch SpongeBob here
). If they want a raise they need to start providing a better service. Just like in a normal job if you want a raise work harder to show you are worth the raise. You want to raise your rates provide a better service, if not screw off.

Anyway this is a very interesting thing to happen. I am rather surprised at this outcome.

Raist

new topics

join