It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if our brain has been lying to us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I have been steadily thinking about this for a couple weeks now, but it is a pretty well known fact that the brain is a extremely powerful machine. And that the response rate of it is outstanding. So my question is, what if all the murders and violent crimes that we see are actually the monsters and creatures of myth and legend? But in that very instant, that fraction of a nanosecond that we first see it, our brain freaks out and goes into a coping mode. It has been proven that the brain can cope with some very horrific events, making up fake events and/or people to help a person cope or the brain will completely rid itself of the event entirely. I digress, so what if for a fraction of a nanosecond, girl A, lets say Sarah, was walking down the street and you look over and you see her get mauled by, lets say a Wendigo, and at that same nanosecond your brain cannot cope with the fact that a creature that, for all intents and purposes, "is not" supposed to be real, let alone alive, is chopping up a woman across the street. So when you blink, you see a crazed hobo going Sweeney Todd on the lady. I know this is WAY out in left field but so was the theory of the Earth being round back in the days of Homer and Hesiod. Just something to think about.

You lie and you don't even know!

Flat Earth
edit on 12-7-2012 by stolski21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I agree that the mind is a powerful piece of machinery.

But to completely erase from mind like it never happened is a little difficult.
because when a person is really messed up by an event it will get locked up in a bad room in our mind and there is always a way to revive that( hypnosis) otherwise it never existed. It would be like a virus slowly destroying you mentally without you realizing it.

But then again this is just my opinion please correct me if i am wrong and would like to learn

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by KurdishKing

Though this isn't much, this is a study show that a Cannabis-like brain chemical blocks out bad memories in lab mice. And seeing as we have some of the same genes as mice, giving us some mammalian similarities. Difference being some of the mice were engineered to lack the receptors and were scared when they heard the noise that signaled the shock. Well what if we were "engineered" to have the receptors?

Cannabis-like Brain Chemical Blocks Out Bad Memories

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It is very standard for different witnesses to have different recollection of events, more so when it is a stressful situation as adrenaline interferes with memory. Reward and punishment is a big factor in how the brain grows and understands our environment, falling when learning to walk is just one of many examples. It also goes on to help explain why fanatics are so messed up in the head as as they reward obedience and punish questioning as any contradictory reasoning continues to flourish at the will and ego of the leadership.

Our brains do lie as we try to make sense of our environment. Sometimes we recognise something that looks like a pattern and build our beliefs on it, only to find out later that it was just some random events as more influential factors are recognised. We all make mistakes, it is how we learn and grow.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It has and it always will...

This is one of the basic ideas behind Buddhist practice and mediation.

Our brain loves to tell us stories about who we are, how we feel and how we should react in situations and we believe it pretty much a 100% of the time.

The art of mediation is learning to watch the mind and its stories BUT not react to them. When you do this, you can recognize your negative thought patterns and hopefully change them. You can ask yourself, why is my mind telling me this story? what does it me about me and who I "think" I am?

Who is the real you and what part of you is just acting out the brain lies? When you sort through all the BS your brain tells you, you can begin to live a more genuine existence...

join