It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a high temp for my computer?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Physics tells us that there are only 3 ways heat can escape , conduction , convection and radiation. In a clean computer with a working set of fans having the case open will not increase the efficiency of any of the 3. Dirt and dust will insulate the components and stop the heat transfer.

Other than radiation (the most inefficient way of transferring heat) heat doesn't just escape without heat transfer to another medium. You must push air ,water or coolant across something hot to transfer the heat. The only way that opening the case would work is if the air flow in the room was greater than the airflow inside the case (really , really bad case design / no fans inside) or the computer was full of dust. But 99% of cases are not badly designed these days. Even with the case off air has to pass over the components for there to be a heat exchange.

Check out this forum CPU temperature rises with open case for some details.

Note : i run my rig with the case open but thats because i get fed up with having to open it to swap parts im testing and i live in a cool climate.

Who knows it might work better for you with the case open but in the majority of cases it wont. We will just have to respectfully agree to disagree with this one

edit on 15-7-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I am not going to pretend to any expertise but your computer is running considerably hotter than mine.

I suggest: cleaning out the vents and any openings that allow your CPU to "breathe ", to make sure that lint isn't clogging up its ventilation (this may involve unscrewing a few screws and opening the chassis; usually BLOWING out the lint is the best method as it minimizes the risk of dislodging or damaging the wiring and hardware). Make sure that your CPU is located where it can get air and dissipate heat (e.g., not directly on a shag carpet, nor jammed up in a corner).

If that still doesn't bring your CPU temp down, consider replacing the internal fan. Check your owner's manual for the fan specs, maybe open the chassis to get the physical measurements before you buy a replacement. Try to upgrade in terms of cooling efficiency.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Since you asked for advice on this forum, I will assume that you are not an advanced computer geek.

I had already suggested a cleaning, and maybe a new fan.

Some hard core geeks are into overclocking their computers. This primarily involves tinkering with the hardware to make the harddrive run faster. But overclocking makes the CPU considerably hotter, so they also add on a superduper cooling system, mostly one involving water tubing. There are some magazine articles and books that provide plans and instructions for these cooling systems -- and probably several websites. Unlike overclocking, adding the cooling system alone involves minimal confrontation with the insides of the CPU.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Heya Manhater... Still having comp challenges? lol... Yikes..

The first temp list was like a bad horror movie on a couple numbers. After you took off the blanket..err..I mean, blew out the dust..
Your temps look just fine now.

Leaving the case off is a very bad thing unless you intend to, know exactly why and what you intend to accomplish. I.E. there is a real need. I have mine off because my side fan went out and I don't have $75 for the cheapest replacement. Open air trumps nothing. Something that amazed me in the actual hardware course at school was that modern cases and layouts are designed with the same thought as the boards themselves with programs for air flow and all that. So if all is working, it's helping the cooling to keep the side on.

Oh and be sure to pay the money and buy the canned air. More than one machine has been lost by air compressor air that is not filtered for moisture...and tanks collect it. It's literally blasting fine moisture into the absolute worst places... Just a passing thought for that.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Welcome back Wrabbit. I think I fixed it. Needed a good cleaning.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

No, not me.... That game is too dumb for me to play.

Maybe my sister and her daughter, like always....OMG.. So, annoying.

I know that's one thing her daughter is missing while being locked up.

Game is dumb if you ask me.

Nothing but trouble and bad influence on children.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I'm the same way sometimes. I hate opening and closing the case all the time, so it's, screw it, half on half off. Don't bother with screws.

edit on 15-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Games crashing could be caused by a number of reasons. It could be hardware instability including overheating, issues with drivers, or simply buggy software.

1. You should first update the game you are playing (if any updates are available) as well as Windows.

2. If that doesn't work, then update video and sound drivers. Video drivers can be found on the website for your graphics card (in this case nvidia), just let it auto-detect. Sound drivers can usually be found on the webpage for your motherboard. It's usually best to remove the old drivers before installing the new ones.

3. If that still doesn't work then check the temperatures of the computer, your best bet is by opening a program like HWiNFO or HWMONITOR and running that in the background while you game. At the end post a picture of the screenshot, here is an example from my computer:

i.imgur.com... (just look at the hwinfo window for an example, note how it has min max current values)
(Core i5-3570K overclocked to 4.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-1866, GTX 570 OC)

4. If that still doesn't work in diagnosing the problem, run stress tests like furmark, prime95, and memtest to figure out what in particular is wrong. Best get someone who is good with computers to do this.
edit on 22/7/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join