It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How OL turned roast chicken stuffing into croutons!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Explanation:

Roast chickens were on special today at woolworths [$7.88 per chook] and my mum bought me one. Way to go mum!

I saved 1 breast for CATFOOD!
.. The

I saved the 2 wings for my dinner!

I saved the 2 legs and the other breast for later.

I removed the stuffing in one whole semi-gelatenous mass from the carcass [which went into a pot of boiling vegi soup making a simple homemade chicken soup] and I wondered what to do with it???

Online was unhelpfull.

Then it occured to me to make croutons!

1stly I dried of the lump of stuffing by wrapping it gently in paper towel to soak up any juices. I then unwrapped it and discarded the paper towel.

2ndly I cranked my fan forced oven to 250C and lined a clean tray with foil which OL then lightly oiled with olive oil.

3rdly I got a large clean kitchen knife [not serated] and I carefully sliced the stuffing into 5mm [0.5cm] wide thick chip like slices. I got about 12 slices each about 2cm square in size. I put them onto the baking tray and into the oven.

4th I set my timer/alarm for 15mins.

5th I waited 15mins and surfed ATS as I waited. [my soup was also simmering away nicely by now]

6th After 15mins I removed the tray form the oven and manually turned each slice over. They were browning and crisp at the edges. I added 10mins to the timer/alarm and contunied to surf ATS and keep an eye on my soup.

7th When the final alarm went off I just turned off the oven and let the stuffing croutons cool by themselves in the oven.

They looked very similar to these croutons but more disc shaped ...

8th After my soup was ready [and deboned] I added 3 croutons to a bowl and they were very yummy.

9th Finally I checked ATS for anything similar and although mblahnikluver [ATS offical cook] has thread where stuffing can be used instead of croutons ... BUT there was no threads on turning stuffing into croutons so I made this one.

Personal Disclosure: I think this adhoc method of recycling leftover or unwanted stuffing may be of use and I found myself thinking maybe slice them even thinner and make them into chips. The taste was scrumptious.

Enjoy!

edit on 12-7-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix spelling.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
lol OL you rule. You make me laugh everytime

If you ask me this is a "recipe for success".

Congrats on your 150th thread
(and try not to fight too much with Mblah)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Time2Think
lol OL you rule. You make me laugh everytime

If you ask me this is a "recipe for success".

Congrats on your 150th thread
(and try not to fight too much with Mblah)

lol Agree
i like seeing OL posts to

he post with class and organisation

This chicken looks delicious
1 breast for the cat .. they always get the best parts
very spoiled
when i eat chicken always one at my right looking at me for pieces

Are you good for soups recipes ?
i only do my brocoli cream no ther soup
with sweat potatoes ognions brocoli 2 bacon stripe and normal potatoes
if you have carrots .. its good to add to
boil all of that with chicken pouder and grind it

never tried anything else except doing big tomato meat sauce lol

thanks for posting SNF
edit on 7/12/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Remember to save the carcass and bones in a freezer bag and within a few days boil em down for an excellent chicken base or broth.
Clever idea, I would have never thought of as I prolly would have been licking the stuffing out from in between the rib bones.

Good stuff!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Sounds very tasty OL!

You know last time I needed a quick dinner because of my casserole bowl breaking mid cooking while in the oven and you posted your quick and easy and might I add tasty steak recipe. It was really easy and i had everything to make it. It came out pretty good and I used fresh herbs from my garden.

Now this time I bought a whole chicken, it was on sale, and I was trying to figure out how to cook it. This sounds good because I wanted to make some chicken noodle soup as well and I can do that with the left over chicken and bone. The croutons will go great with my salad, new garden fresh tomatoes need to be used up!

I shall let you know how it is. I will make this Saturday for dinner.

On a side note I have made croutons and bread crumbs out of old bread I have made. Homemade croutons are the best!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Duplicate somehow...

Opps
edit on 7/12/2012 by mblahnikluver because: duplicate

new topics

top topics

join