It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with Egyptian Symbolism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
My Grandfather was a US pilot during WWII. During his travels he purchased this piece in Egypt. That is all I really know about it. It is a round brass or copper plate about 4 ft in diameter, looks like the mayan calendar only of Egyptian flavor lol. Anyways I have always wanted to figure out what this thing is and what the symbolism means so I need some help. These are only partial images of the sequence surrounding the outer edges of the plate. Not pictured, but perhaps will be added later are the center image and the image of the plate itself.

So anybody want to take a whack?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Looks mass produced for the tourist trade. No offense intended.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

All the same stuff my grandfather brought back after WW2, he too was stationed in Egypt.

If you go back to each photo and number them I'll tell you exactly what each photo represents and the names of the characters; Egyptology and it's symbols are my fortay.

I'll jump back in a couple of hours and see if you have numbered them......
edit on 12-7-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Numbers33four

None taken. That is usually the answer I am given whenever I ask. So I am asking, what is it a mass production of? And what are the tell tale signs that it was mass produced. Not that I doubt that in any way, just curious though.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

I counted 16, but I started with the image in the 3 o'clock position, and worked clockwise when taking the pictures. I think they are all still in order.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

These brass plates (and papyrus) are mass produced in Egypt but they are all symbolic and copies of original ancient Egyptian art. I have quite afew statues, art and handicrafts in my office of Egyptology.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Well that would be quite interesting if you had the same one. If anything I hope to find out the title of whatever this piece was. That should make it easier for me to look up for reference.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

I'll be back later and explain each picture from the top working my way down in single file until I get to the next top column, ok?

I have the actual papyrus to some of the itchings too by the way
edit on 12-7-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Sounds good to me.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Still waiting for you to post your details.

I was interested to see what you know.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Im taking a shot in the dark here, but those appear to be engravings from the book of the dead in brass. I can clearly see Set depicted in several of the reliefs.

Check the above, i think its Anubis and Set in the lower one.
edit on 13-7-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: Checked

More edit

Check that, i was right the first time. They are essentially the same. I dont know what the lower releif is.
edit on 13-7-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: Meh

top topics

join