It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so many trolls on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Question, why allow so many trolls to post here? Constructive debate is one thing, but if the only reason a person signs up on a forum is for the sole purpose of arguing with every single thing the community believes, they are just trolling and not contributing anything worthwhile to discussions.

In the 'THE Ancient Knowledge' thread for example there is someone who actually said it should be deleted just because they disagree with the content. This kind of sheer stupidity is running rampant around here and will just get worse.

I think we should start compiling a list of posters whose post history reveals their true intentions of just wanting to troll threads and bring down the hammer of justice.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

McCarthy-ism on ATS?

"Are you now, or have you ever been, a troll on ATS?"

Personally, sceptics, nay-sayers, unbelievers, can enhance and strengthen an argument.

Just my two cents.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Question, why allow so many trolls to post here? Constructive debate is one thing, but if the only reason a person signs up on a forum is for the sole purpose of arguing with every single thing the community believes, they are just trolling and not contributing anything worthwhile to discussions.

In the 'THE Ancient Knowledge' thread for example there is someone who actually said it should be deleted just because they disagree with the content. This kind of sheer stupidity is running rampant around here and will just get worse.

I think we should start compiling a list of posters whose post history reveals their true intentions of just wanting to troll threads and bring down the hammer of justice.

um no. we dont allow hit lists here. if you dont agree with a post either debate or ignore it. if it violates T&C, alert it to staff and we will handle!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Because miserable people like to make others suffer and feel miserable too. Misery loves company!

Either that or they need to get a life. STAT.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

It is not a question of these trolls being "allowed" to post here, as if this website is some enormous dictatorship. This website has pride in the fact that it has an all comers approach to intelligent debate. Now, we all know there are those among us who, quite frankly, do it wrong on a prodigious number of occasions. However, that does not mean that they have been given the green light to do so, and furthermore, there is no particular reason why an ignorant fool ought not display his stupidity for all to see. It weakens a position when its advocates include intellectual non entities.

I have said this a thousand times, and I will say it a thousand fold more if I have to. It is the responsibility of each and every one of us to make OUR contributions as ideal, and as fullsome as we possibly can. It is our own product over which we can exert a measure of control and rigor. Over the posts of others, we have no control, and neither should we. That would play directly into the hands of idiocy, and force the quality of content on this website down. Ensuring that YOUR efforts are made in good faith, with good practice, accuracy, and pure intent is all that you can do to improve the over all quality of the intellectual environment here on ATS, and as long as we get as many people pulling together, this barge will move as intended, no matter the unfortunate nature of the muck it floats on.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I have been accused of trolling, yet if i may present a side to this perceived madness.

When you have 2 people in anything who are always in agreement, then one of those people is not necessary.

If everyone is to agree with you, then why even start a thread? Why look for opinions on a subject at all. Granted I am one of the worst offenders when it comes to being overtly obnoxious. And not many will ultimatly agree with my views. Yet if your going to make a thread;

1- Do it in a manner that doesn't make you come off as a troll yerself
2- Use subject matter that is at least plausible in consideration
3-Don't jump down someones neck when they don't agree with you by calling them a troll, when they just seem to have a difference of opinion.

If someone (like me) has been jaded to a certain subject due to the implications of attitude within a post, I ask, what do you expect?

I do not believe most people intially post (unless it is painfully obvious) to be troll worthy yet some do.

At the very least i try to keep an open mind. And while I have been wrong on some aspects, I have tried to assimilate that new info into my thought process as to become more educated on anothers point of view.

But i wouldn't necessarily call me a troll, my motives run deeper than that...I am in that case a Ogre.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
ya exactly turn the site into a North Korean police state site. One that kim jr would be proud of. Hile hile hile hile hile hile hile. Stop thinking for yourself people and get in line! How dare you have your own opinions or thoughts about anything you TROLL.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

with every single thing the community believes,.

Care to list these "community" members, and list exactly what this "community" believes?

And you do not believe people should be allowed to disagree with everything this "community" believes in....
edit on 12-7-2012 by spoor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Beez admit you were hoping to be listed by name.

I don't know if I have the right to call you Beez. Nicknames and the use are usually hard won. Meh, screw it you're just an angry tea swilling bunny, and always with a party.

When you get home bring me some sauerbraten and spaetzle, or maybe a croissant, even some sort of seafood horror (I hate you authentic Italian food). I forgot exile locale. Perhaps a philly cheese steak? I'm eating vegan burgers, save me!

Oh and awful idea OP.

And then...

Would you like people that don't agree with you to have their posts deleted? I don't agree with you at all OP. I don't want you're post banned. I would have it pinned to the top of every page, a shining example of what this site hope to never become.

SPALling
edit on 12-7-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

..... every single thing the community believes,.....

There's your problem - there is no such thing.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

I'm sorry but that's life Koala.

Trolling is how some people like rolling (i just made that up
)

If the comments are really asinine or abusive then they can be reported anyway. That is actually a great thing about ATS - there is a lot of moderation.

If you want to see some real horrible trolling go to a site like GLP - it's sub-human

Peace * Ned
edit on 12-7-2012 by nimbinned because: just because

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

WE do get a few trolls pop up on ATS but on the whole the mods deal with them. Although i do get very frustrated myself at times, i would argue that ATS is one of the best sites around for controlling this! Just spend a few minutes on your average forum and you will soon be inundated with accusations about your sexuality and racist slurs (even though they don’t know your race)

Just look at the average Youtube comments section... full of abusive messages... this stuff is rampant on the web and, when you consider that, you have to acknowledge that the ATS staff do a great job.

I also think that there are those who lose an argument but will continue to argue just because they are entrenched... that is not really trolling, more like stubbornness mixed with a little pride. It happens in all walks of life and we have probably all been guilty of that to one degree or another.

Sadly we will always have trolls, shills, and those who cannot see reason... but that’s life!

Peace

edit on 12-7-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-7-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Donner teller kebabs today.

And if anyone disagrees with me, then. . . . . .

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Intresting post, but what is a troll ? ( btw I hate this term ) is it someone who does not see things the way you do ? if so then you must be a troll to them. ATS needs to be a place were people can talk free but show respect. In this world respect is often seen as been a 100% the same , any one who does not fit into this picture is a troll.
What I think is a more intresting question is, if a goverement wanted to find out what and who the people are who can think and who fight for freedom ATS is a wonderful place. Also if they wanted a place to feed misinformation to the people once again ATS would be the place. So the big question is not about trolls but who is behind ATS, who is pulling the strings.
As our good friend Sigmund Freud said, " some times a good cigar is just a good penis"
The base line is we see and read what we want to see and read.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Two things
My definition of 'troll' might be different to yours.
But mainly - a list of undesirables and denial of free speech? Now where have I heard that before....

Humms 'I've got a little list' (The Mikado)

edit on 12-7-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
So, you want an internet where you only have to encounter opinions you agree with?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The Internet Is Full Of Trolls

Ever been to 4chan?

I mean in all honesty it seems like people expect ATS to be sans any un-desirable posters. However, that's not the case, there are trolls, there are people here who just wanna poke you in the ribs for fun.

Then there are those are just here to learn, discuss and participate in this community. Those are the people you should worry about.

Let us, the staff deal with anybody who doesn't belong here. Trust me, those who don't, don't stay very long.

Then again, go to most any other internet forum and you'll find more trolls than you encounter on ATS. That's because the culture here is based around weeding them out and not encouraging their behavior.

We don't do hit lists, we don't have a need to call out members that we may disagree with.

We remove people from ATS based on their infractions towards the T&C.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Then there are those are just here to learn, discuss and participate in this community. Those are the people you should worry about.
~Tenth

I LOVE learning.
You don't have to worry about me.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

This is exactly why I have made my account of ATS finally. I'm disappointed
in where ATS is going. 3 years ago it was every post that counted, now it is
non-sense here and there. First I believe ATS Skunk Works needs to be removed
because it is off topic IMHO from the website as a whole. But the biggest problem is
when people post something for instance someone posted where will you go if
December 21st 2012 is the doomsday for your safe haven. Instantly his post
got blasted with nothing will happen and comments like "In my house because
nothing but crazy people thinking it is happening." All he wanted was a topic
which people could elaborate on where some safe places would be and he had
gotten barraged with the trolls. Let's just keep things serious, intelligent and on topic.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
OP.. some people done even know theyre trolling.. its their natural miserable personality bubbling up and "anonymity" really gives that sort of person the go ahead to shine in all of their miserable ignorant glory without the threat of getting their teeth knocked out.
Recently I posted a post that agreed with someone and their natural miserable self took it as I was disagreeing and posted a wall of text how I was wrong and blah blah blah. Not a troll, just a miserable contentious person. Ive even been threatened on here that someone was going to meet me somewhere and beat me up! LOL!

These types arent "allowed here".. it would be impossible to kick out all of the miserable people who want everyone else to be miserable so they feel better. There are some here that have been here a long time and contribute a lot to the site.. and are just natural trolls. Ugh.I just avoid their threads and if they start posting in a thread Im in I ignore until it becomes too bothersome and abandon the discussion. It takes all kinds to make the world twirl I guess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join