New to me laptop issue. Graphics driver question

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Very simple... its a intel driver.
Just go hear and click on run intel drive utility update at the top in the banner.
downloadcenter.intel.com...
Just because it looks weird does not mean its a virus.
edit on 11-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by trollz
reply to post by StratosFear

Why don't you just reinstall an operating system?

Because it wont have the driver that is needed. Win7 would have already done that if it had the driver.

What are you talking about?

it has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, which you will always need to download the driver for. ATI are notorious however for having system events that run constantly and can slow things down, but they usually are fixed with the latest driver.

I have no idea what this guy is saying - it wont have the driver that is needed? No windows OS will.. you have to install the correct driver.

If I were the OP, I'd reinstall windows 7 and then install the correct ATI driver, OR if that's not possible, uninstall any video driver from the installed programs, uninstall the driver from device manager and reinstall the newest ATI driver for it. Either way, get the driver setup first, and have it on a usb stick, or make sure you can access the internet from a clean install.

Decent lappy too from the specs, for a second hand. I won't ask how much you paid, but it's decent!
edit on 12-7-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
As I said right up the top of this post. Go to microsoft update. It'll update the driver for you. no messing about with backups etc. Also Never delete your graphics driver unless you can access your hard drive with another pc, otherwise you might find it wont boot at all.

Well this is just wrong.

Windows always has a very basic video support. It will be the lowest res possible and you will need to update to get full functionality.

How do you guys think they install windows in the first place? They just go blind, until they can install a driver?

ugh, this thread is really bad advice for the OP.

it's also damn scary....

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Last thing I will say.

If you were to install windows 7 on a new laptop, you'd have no problems. Maybe whoever had it previously, did an upgrade from xp to win7 and didn't bother checking things before hoxking it.

Don't listen to the people saying things like "don't remove drivers" when it comes to video on a well known device. Windows 7 has a very hardy driver base. If you were to install XP I'd then suggest to have EVERY driver you need, at the very minimum the networking drivers, to access the net.

But video? And to say 'windows 7 wouldn't let you remove that file' is seriouslly backward. It will let you uninstall drivers.

If you're happy with the machine as it is, then just go to the ATI website, drivers section, and get the correct driver and reinstall that. No need to do anything else if you're happy with everything else.

Go to device manager, and see what the video card actually is, the one I posted above, is what it lists as under specs from elsewhere, but just make sure.

Get the driver from ATI, and install that. I would suggest uninstalling the old one if it is causing issues, but I only see that resolving different problems which is why many people suggest it.

Don't be afraid of making it not-bootable.. You can always boot into safe mode by hitting F8 on boot up if you do anything seriously wrong, which in this case is highly unlikely.

good luck.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Very simple... its a intel driver.
Just go hear and click on run intel drive utility update at the top in the banner.
downloadcenter.intel.com...
Just because it looks weird does not mean its a virus.
edit on 11-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

+1.

This is the correct answer.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Thx for all the advice but after my virus scan it didnt find anything but low and behold i was able to get ahold of the previous owner(idiot didnt delete anything before selling nor did the pawn shop i bought it from) Turns out there was a downloader virus that had gotten into the computer some months before, which is why this particular event kept repeating its self. It ended up doing some tweaking in the registry which i had the shop fix. The way it was explained to me was that this corruption wasnt allowing the driver to update normally and was easily fixed by running a program from one of his many flash drives.

Nothing like spending the night in a pawn shop argueing with a computer genius from India.

Thx guys

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Thx for you replies, lots of good insight. Im might still do a clean installation of Win7 just because it is a second hand machine but its running so good now might as well not mess with it. Well i`ll have someone else do it that knows what the hell they`re doing. Paid about $215 plus tax and now i know why but the problem seems to be fixed and a comparable machine with 2.2 gigs was about $150 more + the other places i looked.
edit on 12-7-2012 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join