It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New to me laptop issue. Graphics driver question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Hello everyone quick question that is stumping a few so called experts on my end of things.

I just bought a new to me laptop from a pawn shop, hadnt planned on it but was to good of a deal to pass up. I was going through it real good and got to the event viewer where i noticed one that had re-occured a few times in the past and has a log for today also. Its called the Intel Graphics Kernal mode Driver, the path is C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64.sys and it says its for Windows XP but i`ve got windows 7 on this laptop. The only details it gives me is that its making the system run slow.

several google searches left me a little confused and worried i may have a virus, which if the case this thing is going back and im getting my money returned, but if anyone has knowledge or can point me in the right direction i`d apprciate it.

Laptop is a Compaq CQ-56 w\celeron cpu 64bit 2.2 Ghz 2Gigs RAM
This all started when i looked at the performance index and the Gaming Graphics was giving me a 3.3

Thx ppl.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by StratosFear

Why don't you just reinstall an operating system?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Do an update at microsoft, it'll install the correct graphics driver for you.

It'll be listed on the left side of the update window under the harware option
edit on 11-7-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz

Why don't you just reinstall an operating system?

Because it wont have the driver that is needed. Win7 would have already done that if it had the driver.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Ummm.. Whoa.. don't do that. Yikes.. Don't reinstall a laptop operating system unless it's a last resort OR you are physically holding the manufacturers restore disk with the O/S as part of the package. The reason is that proprietary drivers can be a pain and they are the norm on laptops. I tried downgrading a laptop a couple years ago from Vista to XP and learned a hard lesson about this, as I was new to laptops then having been a desktop guy my whole life. I went through another little nightmare when my Compaq here crashed last year during a drive swap. Same thing.

I would suggest 2 steps first...and backup any file you touch before touching it, of course. Also, do a full backup of the Registry as a minimum. I'd suggest a full system backup using the Win 7 backup utility or something like Easus Home Edition (free) if possible.

Then... 1. Just delete that specific file, Reboot and see what happens. It's always possible this is a remnant from a former install of something calling on it. Back it up first of course...and if you aren't familiar with booting into safe mode, google that up real quick and try it once before deleting the file because that's how you'll be getting back to copy it back if it turns out it was required after all.

If that doesn't work then uninstall the graphics driver manually through Device manager for the Intel graphics you apparently have then reboot. It should force Win 7 to do an update of the files. The worst outcome there is that Win 7 just reinstalls the same set and nothing changed either way.

I'd looked online and the threads I saw went in circles for try this and try that without a firm resolution on what I found. Anyway.... Let us all know how this goes! I'm curious now... Hmm..

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

win 7 is good at detecting drivers.
why don't you let win 7 upgrade the driver for the card for you?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Stop looking at event viewer and that should clear up the problem.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
There are many models of that laptop.
You might try looking at the source.

Link to selction of models

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

im going to now just wanted some info first. I havent had it log on yet and i was worried there might have been a virus. No harm gathering information before doing something.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
As I said right up the top of this post. Go to microsoft update. It'll update the driver for you. no messing about with backups etc. Also Never delete your graphics driver unless you can access your hard drive with another pc, otherwise you might find it wont boot at all.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Ummm.. Whoa.. don't do that. Yikes.. Don't reinstall a laptop operating system unless it's a last resort OR you are physically holding the manufacturers restore disk with the O/S as part of the package. The reason is that proprietary drivers can be a pain and they are the norm on laptops. I tried downgrading a laptop a couple years ago from Vista to XP and learned a hard lesson about this, as I was new to laptops then having been a desktop guy my whole life. I went through another little nightmare when my Compaq here crashed last year during a drive swap. Same thing.

I would suggest 2 steps first...and backup any file you touch before touching it, of course. Also, do a full backup of the Registry as a minimum. I'd suggest a full system backup using the Win 7 backup utility or something like Easus Home Edition (free) if possible.

Then... 1. Just delete that specific file, Reboot and see what happens. It's always possible this is a remnant from a former install of something calling on it. Back it up first of course...and if you aren't familiar with booting into safe mode, google that up real quick and try it once before deleting the file because that's how you'll be getting back to copy it back if it turns out it was required after all.

If that doesn't work then uninstall the graphics driver manually through Device manager for the Intel graphics you apparently have then reboot. It should force Win 7 to do an update of the files. The worst outcome there is that Win 7 just reinstalls the same set and nothing changed either way.

I'd looked online and the threads I saw went in circles for try this and try that without a firm resolution on what I found. Anyway.... Let us all know how this goes! I'm curious now... Hmm..

1 I think telling people to delete the graphics file is bad advice.
2. I doubt very much whether win7 will let him delete that file/files, especialy a file thats in use.

I understand the point your making about it being a leftover file, but if its the file its using he could be left with a laptop that wont boot.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thx for the response, the only thing that worried me is a post i read on another forum that mentions a virus being associated with that particular file name when it is in the system32 folder. Im not the most tech savy person around but my expierence with that folder says stay away, im more of a engine /transmission kindof guy. Thats why im leery of backing anything up incase, running a scan on it now and if its clean i`ll proceed with the advice. Thx again.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

thats what i`ll try first when anti-virus scan is finished

thx for the response.

deletion will be a last resort.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Numbers33four

and that would improve my performance how exactly? Would drop kicking it off a 3 story deck help it to?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Run a scan with MBAM
Malware Bytes Anti Malware.

It's very good at finding malware

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by StratosFear

thats what i`ll try first when anti-virus scan is finished

thx for the response.

deletion will be a last resort.

Beware, many viruses make virus scanners appear to work, but infact they fail to report finding anything. From what you describe I doubt its a virus though. I'd do as I suggested earlier and update via MS. Just make sure to look on the left for Hardware updates and select the graphics driver, though it'll probably offer it to you anyway though.
Good luck.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I suggest it as a possibility precisely because it will be protected and I understand only too well HOW protected, if it's really a required file for Win 7. I just got done removing said protections, system wide and it's a real pain in the butt from start to finish.. whew... Anyway.. If it let him, it wasn't...and Win 7 falls back and punts to a default driver in a full tilt anyway. Oh well... If backing up isn't done first, well, I agree. Indeed, doing that cold and without backup would be awfully confident or reckless.

However, anything could be interesting on a Laptop just bought from a Pawnshop on a 'gotta have' deal circumstance.. Who knows what mods, tweaks or just dumb mistakes lurk to find. Either way I hope a full backup is a priority.

@Stratos

No Problem.... For very simple solutions.. AVG works and is free with removal function. MalwareBytes as someone mentioned, can't be beat for malware removal. One other major resource is the Online Scanner at ESET. They are among the best in pro-grade software and their free online scanner is worth it. The major benefit is the scanner and files are on their server, not yours, so an infection doesn't have a scanner to attack and corrupt.

If all else fails Combofix at the link below is effective. It's a last resort before considering a windows reinstall. The site there also has very reliable and professional guides on cleaning specific bugs that are especially difficult. Combofix comes with enough warnings to make a paranoid scared for a month but I've used it on several machines to clean them for clients and never had a problem. Just run it through defaults if you get to that and it WILL absolutely remove just about anything out there. It's a sledgehammer solution.

Bleeping Computer's site for ComboFix and Great Anti-Vir info.

Anyway, take care and good luck with it!

edit on 11-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I suggest it as a possibility precisely because it will be protected and I understand only too well HOW protected, if it's really a required file for Win 7. I just got done removing said protections, system wide and it's a real pain in the butt from start to finish.. whew... Anyway.. If it let him, it wasn't...and Win 7 falls back and punts to a default driver in a full tilt anyway. Oh well... If backing up isn't done first, well, I agree. Indeed, doing that cold and without backup would be awfully confident or reckless.

However, anything could be interesting on a Laptop just bought from a Pawnshop on a 'gotta have' deal circumstance.. Who knows what mods, tweaks or just dumb mistakes lurk to find. Either way I hope a full backup is a priority.

LOL I know what you mean about FIXING all the permissions
what a pain.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Ummm.. Whoa.. don't do that. Yikes.. Don't reinstall a laptop operating system unless it's a last resort OR you are physically holding the manufacturers restore disk with the O/S as part of the package. The reason is that proprietary drivers can be a pain and they are the norm on laptops.

Not so, if you are resourceful. When I reinstall Windoz on a laptop, I go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers for whatever make and model I am working on. Then I burn those to a CD, put the CD in the laptop, and install. I always prefer the manufacturer's OEM drivers over Windoz default drivers anyway.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Bleeping computer is one of the best sites out there.
I use it myself to diagnose issues at work.

comodo and microsoft security essentials are my top anti virus products to recommend to anyone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join