It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned Parenthood hit with $5.5 billion fraud suit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
story from WND

Planned Parenthood hit with $5.5 billion fraud suit

A law suit against Planned Parenthood filed last year has recently been made public.

It involves allegations from a former clinic manager about massive Medicaid fraud going back to 2002 in Iowa !!!!!

DES MOINES, Iowa – One of Planned Parenthood’s former clinic managers has turned whistle blower, claiming that the abortion provider’s Heartland branch has scammed American taxpayers by filing nearly 500,000 fraudulent Medicaid claims over 10 years, netting the organization an illicit $28 million.

Sue Thayer, former manager of Iowa’s Storm Lake and LeMars Planned Parenthood clinics, has sued the organization under both federal and Iowa False Claims Acts, alleging that Planned Parenthood knowingly committed Medicaid fraud from 2002 to 2009 by seeking improper and even illegal reimbursements from Iowa Medicaid Enterprise and the Iowa Family Planning Network.

link to the court papers;

According to the lawsuit originally filed in March of last year but made public just this week, Planned Parenthood submitted “repeated false, fraudulent, and/or ineligible claims for reimbursements” to Medicaid.

Thayer’s attorneys claim that if she prevails in the lawsuit, Planned Parenthood could be ordered to pay the United States and Iowa as much as $5.5 billion in False Claims Act damages and penalties.

Those thieves don't fool around do they.

No small time peanuts with this deal.

I wonder how they will twist & squirm to justify this ?

I wonder who they will "blame"

How deep does this tunnel go ??

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
story from WND

Bush?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Good Evening Xuenchen, long time no see!

I;m absolutely no friend of planned parenthood, but something smells off here. A couple reasons and one whopper I'll save for last as to why my nose is going off here.

One biggy is the fact PP is a group under siege all the time and all the way. They were also A-1 Public Enemy under Bush and his administration, which included his DOJ and Medi- program fraud departments. They would have gotten quite the Christmas card from the Boss if they'd discovered fraud in the program and this was the name that just happened to go with the claim. How was it missed with an Admin who would have moved mountains to get it?

Next, going with that siege situation, they've probably hired as many infiltrators and plants as they have eager beaver loyalists to what they do there. People like Breitbart who take that a few steps beyond where he was willing to go with it. Again, missed? Hmm... Well it's possible and I'm not saying this case isn't valid. But....

Consider this last one, and it's the whopper:

The False Claims Act (31 U.S.C. Sections 3729-33) allows a private individual or "whistleblower", with knowledge of past or present fraud on the federal government, to sue on behalf of the government to recover stiff civil penalties and triple damages. The person bringing the suit is formally known as the "Relator." If the suit is successful, it not only stops the dishonest conduct, but also deters similar conduct by others. The whistleblowers generally receive anywhere from 15 to 30 percent of the federal governments total recovery.

In fiscal year 2008, the federal government collected $1.34 billion in settlements and judgments and paid out over $198 million dollars to Whistleblowers. Relator's awards since 1986 have reached over $1 Billion. The total "official" False Claims Act recoveries in 2009 were $2.4 billion, though more than $5.6 billion in False Claims Act case recoveries were announced by the federal government. This brings total recoveries since 1986, when Congress substantially strengthened the civil False Claims Act, to more than $21 billion.
Source

That comes from a Law Firm that specializes in Whistle-blower cases, to read their material, and actively solicits the cases like personal injury attorneys chase accidents. Now again, she may be as pure in motives as the driven snow and genuinely pissed at the fraud. I can't say. What she WILL be that I can say though, is among the wealthiest women in the state of Iowa if her suit wins. I'm just making a guess here....but that can't have been lost on her. I wonder...how hard had she tried to report it through the official fraud reporting lines sans % of recoveries paid directly to her? Oh well

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by km22453

Originally posted by xuenchen
story from WND

Bush?

Nah, Bush was mostly responsible for our economic situation and all these wars.

I don't think he had much to do with planned parenthood.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Welcome back !!

Hope all is well.

Good point about a possible set up with this.

It's entirely possible.

We have professional hustlers on both sides.

But I would lean towards PP as guilty as accused by about 80%.

There's been some past exposures suggesting similar conduct.

Sometimes it takes two to tango !!

Glad you're back !!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Des Moines-based Planned Parenthood sued

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The Des Moines-based Planned Parenthood affiliate faces allegations that it fraudulently billed Medicaid from 2002 to 2009 for nearly $28 million. A federal whistle-blower lawsuit filed by former clinic director Sue Thayer says Planned Parenthood of the Heartland billed Medicaid for blood tests and other procedures related to elective abortions — which are not covered — but not for the actual abortions. The lawsuit was filed in March 2011 but didn't proceed until federal and state prosecutors decided against intervening.

So the Federal Government and the State of Iowa both declined to prosecute this one. Now it is possible that this is purely on party politics, which it shouldn't be. So I do have to wonder about the merits of this case starting here.

So next let's look at Susan Thayer, a woman who has spent decades not only working for Planned Parenthood but by her own admission neck deep in allegedly defrauding the U.S. and State of Iowa. So now that she is a self-proclaimed liar and thief why should we give her even a minute of our time? Clearly she was on board with the alleged program until she was fired.

Thayer, who filed the lawsuit, worked for Planned Parenthood for 17 years and was a former clinic director in Storm Lake. The whistle-blower law Thayer used to file the lawsuit may allow her to collect a portion of the damages if Planned Parenthood loses.

What is this? OMG it can't possibly be true, here I thought this woman was a legitimate changed heart story looking out for the American people. Instead it turns out she is okay just doing whatever gets her a payday.

Look if Planned Parenthood is in fact defrauding Medicaid I want it investigated and dealt with immediately. The viability of our social programs demand that. And this woman has made a case for an investigation into the situation but that is about it. Given she has every reason to lie and exaggerate the details, her lawsuit doesn't hold much credibility with me.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Imagine the impact this will have on similar programs...there will be hundreds, maybe thousands, of people who will never look at such programs the same way again...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Thanks for the warm welcome back! It turned out a month and a half felt better than a month and it was sure needed. Burnout brings bad things..and I could see a vicious streak in my writing starting that couldn't be there. Ahhh....what a change some time makes though.

Back on topic, I'm certainly open to it being legitimate too. That's why I started out by noting, PP ain't my friend by any stretch. The mother of one of my son's best friends works for PP and we've just generally agreed to disagree when we even say Hi. Some topics leave little middle ground, eh? Win, lose or draw on the lawsuit, it can't hurt to bring more scrutiny to the overall organization though. There is far too much there giving off puffs of smoke for there not to be a fire in the pile somewhere. If this isn't it maybe this leads to other things on the wrong side of legal.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I am betting that practices like this are extremely commonplace and it is the norm.
Fraud? Yeah, that sounds about right.

Just look at the way things are done these days. Of course this is the real gravy train right here and most of us don't know anything about it. That's because it's secret, well, it was secret. Past tense...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
My guess is they will try to politicize it saying it is yet another Republican attack in the "War On Women".

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by cybro

When the article refers to PP as

the abortion provider’s Heartland branch

you might be absolutely correct

Contraception provider seems much more accurate, dontcha think?

www.washingtonpost.com...
edit on 11-7-2012 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

As a long time lurker for years I feel compelled to start responding to these right wing posts. Here is the deal with Conservatives and PP. If the Republicans were really serious about ending PP they would have done it from 2000 to 2006 when they controlled the House, Senate, Presidency and the SCOTUS leaning 5-4 conservative. Overturning Roe v. Wade would have been a cinch! Why did they choose not to? Simple, abortion is the dog whistle they use to get the base worked up. Without abortion what will get the conservative base enthusiastic to vote? Gun control? (I will get to that in a minute). EVERY election, the right brings up abortion and presents new bills to vote on. It is nothing more than a ruse to get you fired up to vote. It is similar to the Dems using health care; they no longer can use this whistle since the ACA was passed. Republicans are never going to fulfil the base's wish and overturn Roe V. Wade, it is too important to their voter enthusiasm.

I want to stay on topic so this will be brief. "Obama wants or guns" HAHAHAHA Really?!!! Have any of you been to PA, upstate NY, or Ohio? Blue Collar conservative Dems who vote Dem LOVE to hunt! I am a Liberal and I love my guns! If the Dem's WANT TO LOSE PA and OH forever then they will go for Gun control. With the country evenly split and every swing state counts this will never happen either. The meme "Liberals/Dem's hate guns" is BS! My wife and I am very socially Liberal and we blow off steam all the time at the gun range.

People need to start thinking out of the box.

new topics

top topics

join