It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horrible News - 20000 turtle babies/eggs Killed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Over the weekend, bulldozers and excavators, used by workers trying to change the direction of a shifting river, smashed and killed sea turtle eggs on the remote beach. The Grand Riviere beach in northern Trinidad is reportedly the world's most densely populated nesting site for leatherback turtles, an endangered species.
I can call this guys stupid million times and it won't be enough, sorry but this one p**s me *** BIG TIME.

As I read before, tourists actually visit this place to observe the baby sea turtles coming up !

Up to 20,000 sea turtle hatchlings and eggs have been tragically crushed by bulldozers attempting to divert a river on Trinidad beach in the Caribbean. A photo released by a conservation group, which is calling for a government investigation, shows the dead leatherback turtles and eggs on the beach.

In this link there is also a video of the heavy machinery on the beach :
www.thestar.com...

Source :
global.christianpost.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Terrible news, However it's also sad to say that even in the wild the mortality rate of a baby turtle is not too good at all to say the least! These bulldozers may have saved them from an even worse fate i'm sad to say

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
This is all too sad for me to even discuss. I'm just posting to thank you for reporting it here. I like to stay informed...but some things are just too sad to think about.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

I agree, I can't/won't watch the video! I also don't understand how this could be better than the eggs actually having a chance of hatching and the baby turtles making their way to the ocean and a life, even if one of hardship!
If twenty thousand eggs hatched how many would make it to open seas and how many would return to lay their eggs on this exact same spot? Many more than the Zero out of twenty thousand that now lie dead on a beach!

top topics

join