It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They say that desire is suffering - but what is the differene between 'desire", "wish", "hope"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If you say "think what you want", are you telling them to think of their desires or to think about what they want to think about?

Is 'desire' another word for 'lacking' , 'longing'? If so, I can understand how it leads to suffering, but what would you call it if you think you want something but do not feel 'suffering' or 'lack'?

Is this preference? If so, what is the difference between that and the other words I've mentioned?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I think the word goal describes desire better.

I could desire something I don't have, more of what I do have, or not to lose something I already have...or to be rid of something. In this sense it seems more like my goal for the topic at hand.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
double post**
edit on 11-7-2012 by dudeawesome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dudeawesome

Ok, that makes sense. In this case, desire / want would mean "goal" and wish would be more of a unecessary goal, while hope would be a desperate goal.

All of these could have 'longing' or 'lacking' emotion behind it, which is why I think I like the word 'preference' for now.
edit on 11-7-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Desire IS suffering - if you don't desire anything, there is nothing to suffer.

Desire - wanting

Wish - wanting while willing it to happen.

Hope - wanting and believing it will happen.

It grows progressively more intensive with every definition. But yes, if you have no desire, then there is no suffering. How can you suffer if you don't want anything?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Heh, idk

I think I would go with the Webster's dictionary definition instead...It seems like you have some context clues that aren't exactly transparent, any word can be twisted to mean many things with a few adverbs or adjectives.

Think Clinton impeachment trial and the exact spelling out of what the words 'sexual relations' really means.

edit on 11-7-2012 by dudeawesome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I understand that. Obviously if you desire something and feeling "lack" and "longing" because of it that is suffering. It makes sense, I just wanted clarity amond some words to see how other people understand these different words..

In your view, wishing is "wanting" while "willing" it to happen. My view of will is something like "intention" is this what you mean as well?

reply to post by dudeawesome

You are right. That is why I asked because I love looking into different definitions of words but I wanted to see what other people's view of these words were. The dictionary is good, but if most people have a different general understanding of a word, it doesn't help much.

Most people understand 'will' to be a mixture between 'want' and 'intention' so that is one thing a lot of people agree on so far.

I think this thread has helped me reach a conclusion, which I will talk about in another thread concerning Freedom and whether or not it actually exists.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

To desire is to be human.

Bringing those desires into complete harmony with our true selves - that's where the magic happens.

Of course, that begs the question "who is our true self?" The quest for that answer is the path. Along that path you gain the wisdom to remain unattached to what manifests in your experience. Unattachment to outcome and desires are not mutually exclusive.

edit on 11-7-2012 by JustAnObserverHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I feel the difference is that desire wants to grasp something, it is hungry for it. Where wish is more related to giving and love, as for hope you could do it in a desirous way, or in a wishful way.
edit on 11-7-2012 by ancientthunder because: missing an s

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Yes.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ancientthunder

I guess it can be giving and loving if you are wishing something for another or for humanity, but if you wish upon a star for a million dollars, I think it can be the similar to desire.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
normaly desire is selfish like hunger, where as wishing is not its for others, you dont wish yourself the best, well you can but its normally all inclusive you wish the best for your country.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ancientthunder

Ah, I understand your point of view now. You are right, the wish for a million dollars and wishes for self are less often than wishing that all goes well, or that someone does their best or even wishing someone health.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Yes, but even those wishes stem from imagining yourself in that position, and hoping that someone would do the same for you.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

However the humans that suffer the most are the ones who have no desire, those are the ones who feel without purpose and completely unnecessary to being.

There is a vast difference between having no desire and having desire to be but open to the way in which this being manifest. What leads to suffering is desiring, wanting and hoping for specifics as a means of reaching happiness. Everytime those desires, wants and hopes are perceived as must, there is suffering. But desire, want and hope that are seen for what they are as nice to haves and motivating agents to get you moving and focusing, as supposed to necessities for living hold no suffering to them.

much love

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

However the humans that suffer the most are the ones who have no desire, those are the ones who feel without purpose and completely unnecessary to being.

Not really. That requires the desire to have meaning in life. I thought we established a total lack of desire?
edit on 11-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
"What does it profit a man to gain the WHOLE world (become one with everything) but lose his own soul (his passion, desire)?"

The human being is a wellspring of desire, and it's right to want something better. No desire, no goals, no progress, nothing.

Unnecessary suffering based on attachment to material pursuits ie: desire for money, fame, self gratification etc. is another matter, which is unhealthy desire leading to unncessary suffering.

So there's healthy desire and unhealthy desire. One produces increasing happiness, satisfaction and joy, as it is realized, the other, unhappiness in the form of unmet needs and thwarted expectations, where even when you get something, it's never enough.

To kill all desire, and become an absolute nothing, is to lose the best part of what makes us human.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

You have touched on the reason that man is imperfect, and the catch in the marvelous deal that is God's gift.

There is no way to deny God, unless you want to go to hell. And if you do not want to go to hell, you must serve him, because you were CREATED to go to hell. That's how you were designed.

How's that for a slap in the face?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Haha, that is so true. God has created all destined to hell with the exception of worshipping him forever. This is what some believe...

I believe that God is more creative than that an like individuality rather than not making own choices and being a slave. This is why God does not interfere when we do evil, it is our evil choice that we must learn from and people must learn to have Love and Courage against evil to stop people doing evil / harm / control to others.

I like NewAgeMan's quote, gaining the world but losing the soul. You hear some people talking about becoming one with eveyrthing, a collective mind and also losing their own "self", (passion, motivation) in the process. This is still only seeing half the picture I believe, if you can understand that you are one with all AND that we are all lindividuals, individuality is our unity, then it makes more sense. It is joining the two force of whole and separation.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by IAmD1

Not really. That requires the desire to have meaning in life. I thought we established a total lack of desire?
edit on 11-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

In my understanding... life has meaning and you have meaning (but probably not the one you think especially if you are suffering) ...if you perceive none you suffer..... Have no desire and being becomes obsolete and a suffering in and by itself is what I was saying. Since no matter how little to none desire we have we still are beings until the day we are not and none of this is relevant. Beings have purpose, the purpose is the true desire. The purpose is being and there is no suffering in that only process. (imo)

None suffering happens when we accept life as it is, see it as it is and allow all that is part of it, including desire, to arise and dissipate as and when with no resistance.
But nothing I say has any importance other than what you give it -I'm just sharing my thoughts on the subject.

much love
edit on 11/7/2012 by IAmD1 because: clarifying purpose...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join