It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone pilots to get medals?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Rather see Fort hood victims get a medal(which they are just victims of "workplace" violence) than a drone operator.

Yep using that joystick and pushing a button really is "above and beyond" the call of duty.
edit on 13-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

You're right that we don't agree on everything, but agreement isn't necessary for respect and I think we've always shared that. In this case, I can actually see your point.

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

As much as I am against drone warfare, I am willing to admit that there have been some missions where I would have considered a drone strike to be worthy.

Damn folks...ATS seems like bizzaro world to me today...where posters are bringing more respect and maturity to a debate than our politicians have in years!

Honestly guys...wow...wish I had more than star to give for the example you set with tone and respect.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I just posted this apparntly it doesnt warent its own thread 6 month later lol

hi all

So there gonna give medals to drone pilots I dont see how sitting behind a computer screen in absolutly no danger at all can warent someone getting a medal.

Officials said the new medal will be the first combat-related award to be created since the Bronze Star in 1944 . AFor guys sitting behind there computer screen

im pretty good at Halo maybe I can earn a medal

usnews.nbcnews.com...

They fight the war from computer consoles and video screens.

But the troops that launch the drone strikes and direct the cyberattacks that can kill or disable an enemy may never set foot in the combat zone. Now their battlefield contributions may be recognized.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta announced Wednesday that for the first time the Pentagon is creating a medal that can be awarded to troops who have a direct impact on combat operations, but do it from afar.

edit on 13-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
If they are going to get a medal, there is a good selection of current decorations. Why are we inventing a new one? Since WWII?

Next we will have drone "tabs" and drone skill badges. No worries though. Soon this will all be run by 'contractors' and the military can make sure their toilet paper supply is stocked.

...me bitter? No way...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Operating a drone from a far away military base gives medals now? Pilots who kill enemy combatants without the enemy combatants having a chance to fight back also gain medals. I think medals are being given out to often.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
When those who were injured at Fort Hood are honored with a medal then I will agree to drone pilots also being nominated for them; until then, it is all politics and nonsense.

ETA: Neo stated it above...I just replied as that was my first instinct on this information.
edit on 13-2-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I was doing ground to air liaison while dodging bullets and incoming mortar fire 45 years ago.. I was in a grunt company so I received the same ribbons as the grunts did.... I wonder if any of these guys playing with their joysticks will actually wear their new medal around Marine Corps combat vets and tell them what they got it for.. There is no way I would do anything that foolish.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I came across this article today

New medal for drone pilots outranks Bronze Star

I thew up a little in my mouth when I read that.

Let me be the first to say, I love medals. I love the military tradition, and properly recognizing service and heroism. If there were a void in recognition in the medal system, I would be all for the creation of a new medal. However, this is just farcical and insulting.

The actions by the pilots and operators of UAVs can easily, and quite appropriately be recognized via branch achievement and commendation medals, the aerial achievement medal or air medal.

I'm not surprised the military is doing something like this, creating a useless and unnecessary medal, considering all the other aspects of service they are systematically destroying.

I could think of no logical reason to create this new medal, but especially if it is to rank higher than the bronze star. The only idea I had left is psychological conditioning. Get the drone pilots to be proud of the type of action that encourages spying and creating large body counts, to make it easier for their employment at a future time, perhaps even against Americans. But that is just the conspiracy theorist in me.
edit on 14-2-2013 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I fully understnad the argument that it seems unwarranted that soldiers that are not in harms way themselves recieve medals.

But...two things occcur to me...I could be right or I could be wrong...

(A) If drone technology is here to stay, then we will need military leaders in the future that thoroughly understnad the technology. If there are no medals of recognition for Drone operators...does this limit the ability of those soldiers to be promoted? Does this create a scenarrio where Drone operator is a dead end job? A scenario where those that are promoted (have lots of medals) are only soldiers that are involved in on the ground combat? Thus creating a military leadership structure that has less inclination to exploit technology vs. troops. Is it possible this is a move to ensure that some of the senior ranks of the military are technologists...not just soldiers comming from on the ground combat troops? Does this encourage more folks to enter into the technology oriented military roles?

(B) While not being physically in harms way...the psychological toll on Drone operators has been documented. Killing is killing and just because it is pressing a button from a safe enclosure doesn't mean that those soldiers don't come aware with emotional or psychological wounds.

Just things to consider.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I am tracking on the need to keep those with critical skill competitive against their peers. No problem. There are mechanisms in place to make that happen.

Creating a new medal (in this case higher than a Bronze Star) is not an answer. It is almost insulting.

I will not get into the argument of who was/is/or will forever be in more danger and deserves this or that recognition. We all know medals do not fully capture human effort under stressful circumstances. I will also side step the false argument of who is more important in the fight. It's one team, one fight. Sounds cliche but it is totally true.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Killing from sitting in an air conditioned room while manipulating a joy stick isn't the same as it is up front and personal on the ground... Ask anyone that has had to do a battle damage assessment after directing close air support... Even after leaving Vietnam close to 45 years ago I feel like crap from just thinking about it. As a matter of fact I was working an air observer in the Ashau Valley on this date in 1969 that called in F-4s resulting in numerous KIAs and left Marines with singed eye lashes and brows due to the close proximity of the snakes and napes... I'd turned 19 years old 12 hours earlier.. I'd done the same the day before and the two following days including directing an AC47 gunship during the night. I didn't have any expectation of getting a medal for doing my job and neither should some nerd with a joy stick thousands of miles from the hell going on.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

If drone operators deserve a medal for sitting behind a screen with a joystick then every single soldier who ever put their lives on the line in battle should get 100 medals and a cruise to the Bahamas- at least they DID something noble and worthy of reward. I wonder how many soldiers had bullets whiz by their heads and all they got for their troubles was PTSD?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
They ought to send them by email or some kind of online trophy system like the computer games.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
I came across this article today

New medal for drone pilots outranks Bronze Star

I thew up a little in my mouth when I read that.

I threw up some more when I realized that you threw up!

Its order of precedence, specifically in outranking the Bronze Star, an award for bravery in combat, drew wide complaints from military members as well as confusion from military medals experts. John Hamilton, commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars organization, explained, "It is very important to properly recognize all who faithfully serve and excel, but this new medal — no matter how well intended — could quickly deteriorate into a morale issue. Medals that can only be earned in direct combat must mean more than medals awarded in the rear."[10] The Military Order of the Purple Heart joined in condemnation, stating "To rank what is basically an award for meritorious service higher than any award for heroism is degrading and insulting to every American Combat Soldier, Airman, Sailor or Marine who risks his or her life and endures the daily rigors of combat in a hostile environment.

Distinguished Warfare Medal-wiki

I don't want to take away from the value that these type of operations can have - especially if it comes down to saving lives of those that might be pinned or otherwise trapped in a battlefield, but its order of precedence seems to be what sticks in many's craw. Maybe that particular parameter could be added to give the medal substanance.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This really irks me alot. I understand the need to award everyone with what they deserve, but to give someone a medal for firing off a missile at a target in Afghanistan from Nevada is ludacris. I'll be the first to admit that we get some medals for flying over certain countries, but some are earned as well (see below). If your gonna award UAV pilots then why not give them Aerial Achievement medals instead of making up a new medal to put in its place? Aerial Achievement medals are for combat support sorties, but I guess that's not enough for them.

So here's mine after six years. A little ridiculous? Perhaps. But were some of them earned? Absolutely. Two of the Air Medals associated citations are still classified to this day. Another one was for heroism while participating in aerial flight. But there's a couple medals mixed in there for simply flying over certain countries, like Croatia.

Here's my ninth Air Medal...

Yeah name is blacked out, but some of you know me. We all got secrets.

Bottom line is I think this is wrong on so many levels. I get an Air Medal for saving millions of dollars of metal and possibly life, and they get one for playing Ace Combat Five or something...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
i have no issue with a serviceribbon for drone pilots - but when it takes precedence over a merit award - thats just taking the piss

top topics

<< 1   >>

join