It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did that really just come on the radio?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Okay, so, I live near Charleston South Carolina. I was in Charleston yesterday for a Dr's appointment and ended up stuck in traffic in one heck of a thunderstorm so I got stuck listening to "Happy adult work music FM". This is fine, whatever, storms freak me out so it was calming my nerves and hey I hadn't heard Ace of Bass in a long time.

Anyway, this commercial comes on. It's about the new t-shirt craze in Charleston or some such. There's this huge thing in South Carolina called "Carolina Girls" and it's basically cute preppy t-shirts and etc (coozies, yaknow) about being proud to be a Carolina Girl. I think the most risque thing I've seen of theirs is the S.L.U.T.S. shirts that stand for Southern Ladies Under Tremendous Stress, and for god's sake my incredibly preppy mother has this crap all over her office so it's well-accepted.

The commercial goes on to say "Get your Charlestoned shirt today!" and I think "I didn't hear that right" so I crank up the radio over the pounding monsoon outside to listen. This kid apparently made these shirts and his story (not quoting here it was in and out) was that he grew up in Charleston his whole life and he loves coming home (Im assuming from college) to get STONED! Charlestoned! HAHA GET IT!?

Initially I'm like...heh yeah I get it heh. But then the Mom in me kicks in and I'm like REALLY!? Ok it's one thing to make these shirts and sell them at some head shop in Charleston or one of the many tourists traps there, but a RADIO ad about a kid who comes home to get STONED and he's making money off of this ridiculous shirt?

I didn't even know you could put that kind of stuff on the air, maybe I'm totally delusional but it seems like that would be illegal considering they bleep out the word "damn" and "lesbian" on this particular station. If this was some hardcore rock station I could understand a bit more MAYBE but this station is PC and played in the cars of many a soccer mom for sure.

I'm ticked off. Fine, I own a "WE LOVE OUR COCKS" t-shirt for the Gamecocks. Fine, I have a Carolina Girl SLUTS coozie. They don't broadcast this stuff on the radio though, I don't (obviously) use my coozie around children that can read and I wear my shirt to Football games. I know, free speech, all that, but GET CHARLESTONED on the radio and some kid coming right out and saying he comes home and gets stoned?

REALLY!????????????????????????????????????????

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Sounds like a good guy, I'd buy a few for my family members!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
Sounds like a good guy, I'd buy a few for my family members!

I know it makes me laugh, truly it does, but on the radio? This kid is going down as the CHARLESTONED kid for life, I mean they can REALLY promote this stuff on the air? Crazy.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

I'm confused here... So you're basically saying that you think our "leaders" or "masters," whatever you like to call them, need to get to work and stop allowing us to say certain things more often? I mean, you seem intelligent enough to understand that this was simply a "comical" aspect for the commercial, so what's the big deal?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
"Getting stoned" is illegal, so why is it being promoted on air? That's all Im sayin

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

Although illegal, it has become mainstream. Think about how many songs are about drug use, and they get definitely get air time (not just the Beatles' songs, either!). It may not be as blatant, but it goes to show that drug use has permeated western culture.

Fifteen or twenty years ago, this would be a big deal. Back then marijuana use was lumped together with every other drug. These days I feel as if the media is moving towards a consensus of general acceptance towards pot, as governments realize the money they lose on the war on drugs (and money to be made from a cash crop).

Personally, I don't mind. ATS, however, isn't the place for the discussion of those ideals. I will say this: think about the difference between a drunk group of teens and a stoned group of teens. As weird as it may sound, I would sleep a lot better knowing my kid was a pothead rather than a drunk. I would rather the cops show up at my door with my kid in hand, rather than a solemn look and apologies for my loss.

top topics

join