It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plutos 5th moon? Why didnt EA*RTH cosmic observers see PLUTOS p4-p5 moons in the near past?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LoveisanArt

Long exposures DOESN'T mean higher res that shows you know nothing about the subject

The moons of pluto are very small rocks in relative terms reflecting a very low level of sunlight, galaxies on the other hand may be far away but have billions of stars giving off light

Read up on the subject!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I do get what your saying when it comes to peering into other galaxies and not finding a couple of moons in Plutos orbit.. Its sort of like finding jupiter or Neptune and not finding mars or the moon before them.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Really? There are 9 galaxies visible to the naked eye. How many of Pluto's moons can you see with the naked eye? How much of Pluto can you see with the naked eye? Can you even see Neptune with the naked eye? The answers to those questions are none, nothing, and no...and yet there are 9 galaxies that you can see.

That's why we can image highly luminous galaxies and still not know about some indiscernible dots orbiting Pluto (which, itself, wasn't discovered until 1930, a full 1000 years after the first galaxy was observed).

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I do get what your saying when it comes to peering into other galaxies and not finding a couple of moons in Plutos orbit.. Its sort of like finding jupiter or Neptune and not finding mars or the moon before them.

But on the other hand, Jupiter's four Galilean moons (Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto) were discovered 250 years before the discovery of the Martian moons Phobos and Deimos, even though Phobos and Deimos are closer.

Why?...

Because Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto are bigger and brighter than Phobos and Deimos. Therefore, those moons of Jupiter are easier to see with a telescope than the moons of Mars, even though Jupiter's moons are farther away than the moons of Mars.

Many galaxies are bigger and brighter than those newly-discovered moons of Pluto. Therefore, those galaxies are easier to see with a telescope than the moons of Pluto, even though the galaxies are farther away than the moons of Pluto.

edit on 8/24/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I was just pointing out an example
settle pettle

But thanks for the astronomy lesson also..

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

That was my point...your example is actually in reverse.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

No worries, I'll be the first to admit I do not have a good understanding of the instruments we use to seek out things in the universe.. And I actually didn't know we could see 9 galaxies either... Amazing what you can learn here...

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
"A massive dark object may be lurking on the edge of our solar system, according to scientists. "

"may be lurking" says NASA, oh boy, maybe its

Hercolubus

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join