Philosoraptor #1: On The Fourth Day...

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I love philosoraptor questions, because at the very least, it teaches you how to think on your own and solve problems using logic. It's the answers we find on our own steam that prove the most valuable and long-lasting...and when we work together, we can figure almost anything out, right? Unless the government wants it kept a secret.

So here's my question, straight from a Philosoraptor comic: If the sun was created on the fourth day, how could four days have passed? How does a day pass without a sun?

And please, don't use the "God is almighty" cop-out. I'm asking for legitimate answers, not regurgitating force-fed dogmas.

Happy thinking!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Who is defining the day, God or man?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Good question. One would think God is defining the word "day", yet whenever we read the Bible, aren't we defining it by OUR understanding of the word day? Besides, any passage of time requires the sun in this modern age. And if nothing existed before, then how does God measure the time?

Which just goes to prove that the Bible was written thinking one thing, and we READ it thinking something completely different.

What's your next argument?
edit on 11-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Well, if you look closely, light was created on the very first day and was separated from darkness in order to create the difference between day and night according to Genesis.

So, I would imagine that the "light" had even more powerful and sustaining capabilities than the sun.

God will sustain the New Jerusalem with his light too when this life is over and the next one begins. There will be no sun.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Light in the form of what? His light?

If that's the case, why did he have to create light? It would have existed with him from the very start.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
To keep it simple... 14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years,

There was always day, the length of said days, that's up for debate. There was, and still is... no need for night in order to understand intervals of time. Just how long is this time... I'd suggest that the answer is in the text. That's not the aim of this thread... just simple reasoning all that is necessary here.

17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

This is when you now see the conditions present in which the division of days is observable, but that does not imply that the interval of time that determines a day wasn't present.

I hope this made sense...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well, assuming the Earth started spinning right at creation, wouldn't one full rotation make a day?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Genesis 1:3-4

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

You have a point. God commanded this light into existence. There is a slight difference apparently from the light that will be in the New Jerusalem. The Bible says that God is what illuminates the New Jerusalem and there will be no darkness or night.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by will615

Genesis is reportedly told from the vantage point of God. Why would he use the Earth's rotation to define his "day"?

I've been doing a little research, and evidently, "day" originally translated as "life", then switched to "age". So technically, every day was actually an age. Anyone know how long an age is supposed to be?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by will615
Well, assuming the Earth started spinning right at creation, wouldn't one full rotation make a day?

I would suggest that a day, previous to the creation of the stars was dictated by what Joseph Smith called 'Celestial Time' which is relative to a collective mass, volume and it's movement. He had some interesting writings about the Cubit, time and mass... all of which he discovered after researching the pyramid of giza

Just as our perception and interaction with time is constrained to relativity, the mass of Earth and our frame of reference in relation to the sun.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

And that's where we begin to have a problem. According to physics, there cannot be light without darkness, just as there can't be black without white. All things were created in pairs, so why would God's light exist without an opposite? How are we to fully appreciate it with nothing to compare it to?

Do you see the problem?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by will615

Genesis is reportedly told from the vantage point of God. Why would he use the Earth's rotation to define his "day"?

I've been doing a little research, and evidently, "day" originally translated as "life", then switched to "age". So technically, every day was actually an age. Anyone know how long an age is supposed to be?

I think you're correct. Earths rotation had nothing to do with determining the length of days.

As far as 'age', I would suggest that it has roots in celestial religions, and those of astrological ages. One example being Pisces, two fish... bethlehem and the house of bread... and so forth. Hence, loves and bread and fish to feed the masses.

I know, I know... I didn't explain it all, that's upon you to find your own truths with the texts.

Please refrain from flaming me for this. But I think people would be better for it, if they would just accept pagan influences through out the texts. I mean cmon, Christmas and Easter... don't even get me started! lol

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Because in God's world there will be no more duality or reflection.

There will be ONE of perfection.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

And that's where we begin to have a problem. According to physics, there cannot be light without darkness, just as there can't be black without white. All things were created in pairs, so why would God's light exist without an opposite? How are we to fully appreciate it with nothing to compare it to?

Do you see the problem?

According to what?

What about the cosmology of the supposed 'Big bang'... and the propagation of baryons, annihilation before the cooling in which allowed for photons to remain. There was nothing to 'cast a shadow', so where is this implied darkness?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

Energy...and lack thereof. Consciousness...and no lack thereof. That's the reason for EVERYTHING, I think. To see what would happen if you started out not knowing everything. We're all an experiment. And there IS a goal...to improve forevermore. There may be various stages and bosses to beat, but that's the endgame...to reunite with the Source.

And begin anew.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

reply to post by NOTurTypical

Good question. One would think God is defining the word "day", yet whenever we read the Bible, aren't we defining it by OUR understanding of the word day? Besides, any passage of time requires the sun in this modern age. And if nothing existed before, then how does God measure the time?

Which just goes to prove that the Bible was written thinking one thing, and we READ it thinking something completely different.

What's your next argument?

Next argument? I haven't made one yet, just asked a simple question. I'm still pondering the original Q. That was your point in making the thread was to induce thought and or introspection? Or was it just to mock in a backdoor sort of manner?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I love philosoraptor questions, because at the very least, it teaches you how to think on your own and solve problems using logic. It's the answers we find on our own steam that prove the most valuable and long-lasting...and when we work together, we can figure almost anything out, right? Unless the government wants it kept a secret.

So here's my question, straight from a Philosoraptor comic: If the sun was created on the fourth day, how could four days have passed? How does a day pass without a sun?

And please, don't use the "God is almighty" cop-out. I'm asking for legitimate answers, not regurgitating force-fed dogmas.

Happy thinking!

A day is defined by man as one complete revolution about its axis . . . it is simple enough to follow a modern star chart to be able to determine what a day is.

A year is a complete revolution about the Sun.

You are confusing day "time" and night "time" with what an actual day is.

www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of DAY
a : the time of light between one night and the next
b : daylight 1
c : daytime
: the period of rotation of a planet (as earth) or a moon on its axis

What kind of flawed logic is going on in your head I don't want to know.

Its posts like these that make self professed Christian haters look like complete idiots.

www.icr.org...

THE MEANING OF "DAY"

Those who argue that the word "day" means "long age," point out that the Hebrew word, yom, can have a number of meanings, only one of which is "day of 24 hours."1 They further seek to strengthen their position with the use of Psalm 90:4 and II Peter 3:8, comparing a day to a thousand years. Both of these verses, however, are simply using figures of speech (similes) to show that God is not constrained by the same time parameters as are humans. These verses are really irrelevant to the discussion of the meaning of "day," in Genesis 1.

It is recognized, of course, that the word "day" can be used with a number of variations. It can have any of five meanings: 1) a period of light; 2) a period of 24 hours; 3) a general, vague time; 4) a point of time; 5) a year.2 The context determines which of these is intended by the writer. The English language also can have up to 14 definitions for the word "day."3 The reader should be reminded that the purpose of language is to communicate. Moses wrote in a language that was meant to communicate to his readers. Words must be defined by their relationship to one another.4 Word meaning must be determined from within its context. It will be shown how the context defines the word in Genesis 1.

The use of a number with the word "day" is very illuminating. This combination occurs 357 times outside of Genesis 1. The combination is used in four different ways, but each time it is used, it must mean 24-hour periods of time.

For the folks too lazy to look for themselves.
edit on 1-2-2013 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

One, it was a joke. It was something to laugh at.

Two, "God" didn't create the earth on the first day. So how was there a day to create light on?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
When the planet spins one full revolution on its axis, that is one 24 hour period- regardless if the sun is shining or not. When God said "Let there be light" on the first day, it was His glory which lighted the earth. Up until the fourth day, when the sun was created, God would withdraw His glory from the earth at the end of each day, causing it to be dark again, until the next morning.

God knew Satan would deceive people into worshiping the sun, so He purposely created the sun on the fourth day, proving that the sun has no power in itself, and that His glory is infinitely more powerful than anything else.

In Revelation we read that when the new heaven and the new earth are created, God's glory will once again be the source of light for this planet.

Revelation 22:5(KJV)
5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

top topics

join