It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mature Chat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
RIGHT NOW -

What in all are you doing right now in your lifetime before you reach your retirement?

Are you stay a course? Or do you plan on shifting gears so to speak?

What line of work are you in now? And/or what field of study are you in now?

RETIREMENT -

What is your retirement plan? How will you retire? And at what age do you think you will be retiring?

What in all do you plan on doing when you are retired? Will you really be able to do anything with money upon your retirement?

Where will you like to be living once you are officially retired?

I've pratically already been retired. If I had it my way, I'd go stay in Boise, Idaho instead of where I am now. Boise stay never making breaking news about anything. That means they are lacking too much attention. A plus, if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I am currently apprenticing to become a tattoo artist.. As of now i am piercing.. The way I see it if I can build up a big enough clientele there will be no need to retire , As long as I am doing something I love to do..

I grew up a graffiti artist, Art is a big part of my life so it is only natural i would take this path..

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Did you use Google Translate to write this post? Serious question.

edit on 11-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I'm a software developer mostly .. I've been putting money into my retirement account for 14 years now so hopefully by the time I reach retirement age ( if I do .. of course ) I hope I'll have enough to not worry about working ..

The problem I see though is that I can't imagine writing software well into my 60s .. The tech fields evolves so fast that it's already a large part of my job to stay up on new technologies.. so at some point I might consider a career shift.

Life can be cruel .. with the way society works, you spend your youth working instead of enjoying your health and energy .. and you get to relax when you're too old and tired to take advantage of it

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Don't nitpik. You understood what he was trying to say. Play nice.

As for the suject matter, the way things a going now I don't think too many people will be able to retire. WIth everything skyrocketting in price and wages staying the same. It's getting harder and harder for the regular joe to plan for an eventual retirement. Put money aside every week then throw caution in the wind and let chips fall were they may.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Not nitpicking, more like wondering what this thread has to do with ANYTHING. I don't often see these kinds of questions outside of career counseling and 401k or whatever meetings.

I'm confused, is all. I was under the impression that most of the people on here were at least 10 years away from retirement...which means by the time they actually reach it, it will be five more years away, or nonexistence.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
My husband and I have been retired for about 3 years now (rather early, I might add). We didn't plan on it, but our circumstances sort of pushed us in this direction.

After many years of being a faithful, hard-working IT director (14 hour days at times), hubby was making a fat salary, and at age 50, was booted out so they could hire somebody from India who would work for 1/4 of his salary. Nobody wants to hire an older worker, as he unfortunately found out. Oh, his old employer kept calling him for free consulting, though, because the newbie couldn't figure things out.

I was working in social services at low pay with no raises EVER, but they piled enough work on me for three people...Then expected me to falsify state records so they could keep being a state contractor. I told them to stick it and I quit.

He cashed in some inheritance, and we're living off of what he makes playing the stock market, and some oil royalty money. We don't have much of a safety net, we have no insurance, but we were able to buy a little house in the middle of nowhere on some land, and it is paid for, in cash. No bank was needed for this transaction. No mortgage, no interest. We get by, we take care of ourselves and do a lot of "home doctoring". Neither of us has life insurance.

We are walking the high-wire without a net. But we are beholden to no employers, and have no stress with regard to jerk bosses, being over-worked, commuting in traffic, etc. We figure that, if one of us gets really sick with cancer, we'll fight it naturally, and if we go, then we go on our own terms, not sick and skeletal thanks to chemo.

I think many people are in our position. In our 50s, no safety net, nothing but gumption and hope for the best. We are in a good spot in the US, we have a lot of food and water stored up, and the community out here are all preparing for the collapse of...whatever.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I have decided to focus on excercise, health and my personal well being until after the end of this year instead of focusing on retirement right now. I think if my mind is clear and my body is healthy the rest will start to fall in place.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Not nitpicking, more like wondering what this thread has to do with ANYTHING
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Well, then....Your post begs the question: Why are you posting on it?

I am retired, so your assumption about the demographics of ATS are incorrect. There are quite a few of us who are older on this site. Some of us actually know how to use a computer, too.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Occupation: Captain - Merchant Navy, Oil and Gas Sector - Gorgon Project (Chevron) NW Shelf - Western Australia.

Quals: Master Mariner (Master Class 1 unlimited).

Works: 5 weeks on / 5 weeks off.

Retirement Plan: None (apart from Superannuation and an investment property).

Philosophy: When at home, live each day as it comes with the wife and kids. Learning to cook, usually results in the missus saying "is something burning babe?"

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
We have a pretty common set up with multiple IRA's, 403bs, and 457 plans, invested in a mix of stock, bond, and REIT index funds. I'm shooting for retirement at 65 unless the Social Security and Medicare law changes by that time. I'm an academic so going beyond 65 isn't a real hardship and I rather enjoy what I do.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by XLR8R

Not nitpicking, more like wondering what this thread has to do with ANYTHING. I don't often see these kinds of questions outside of career counseling and 401k or whatever meetings.

I'm confused, is all. I was under the impression that most of the people on here were at least 10 years away from retirement...which means by the time they actually reach it, it will be five more years away, or nonexistence.

I already retired once. Three years ago. After seeing what direction our country is heading in, decided to un-retire.

Have since started a small company, cottage industry, to augment retirement account. I didn't ever think I'd be working this hard at this age....but, I have no choice. I think you'll find many older people my age doing something similar.

Des

edit on 11-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
If anyone believes that they are already retired or will retire and currently or has future expectations of receiving a publicly funded pension (even private) you have another thing coming. five years at most and they will be cutting or bumping people down the road. Retirement is a fallacy and failed experiment, post Industrial Revolution - things are giong to change again...

new topics

top topics

join