It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

element that freezes H2o

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Anyone know if there's an element that would make water freeze after they contact each other?

if it cant be done with water but another liquid base, that would be fine to. just anything that could freeze inside a double blown peice of glass. (and if its possible to have a base freeze between two peices of glass without shattering) thx for any help.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Water and every other material freezes/hardens when it reaches its freezing temperature. For water thats 0�C.

Liquid Nitrogen or a bulkload of dry ice would be the most common available ingredients for that.
You could also try TEC(thermo electric) coolers or an oil cooling system with a cooling unit.

Liquid nitrogen would be the easyest to use, but alot of things get really britle when getting LN frostbit.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Water expands when it freezes.. I don't see any way you could do it without the glass shattering unless it was frozen prior to putting it in there or if the glass is really thick.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creative_minds
Anyone know if there's an element that would make water freeze after they contact each other?

if it cant be done with water but another liquid base, that would be fine to. just anything that could freeze inside a double blown peice of glass. (and if its possible to have a base freeze between two peices of glass without shattering) thx for any help.

Try a search for Endothermic Chemicals.

Here's one site I found that has an experiment you can try but I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for.
chemlearn.chem.indiana.edu...

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This isnt totally related, but you might enjoy the topic.

Have you read Kurt Vonnegut's book Cat's Cradle? Its about a family who's father invents the 9th form of water and if this Ice 9 touches water it will freeze it instantly. Its a very cool book and a pretty quick read as well. It was written in the 50's i believe. A very cool book.

[edit on 8-10-2004 by Calculon386]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
There isn't any element I am aware of which, when added to water, will freeze it. I am sure there are exothermic elements, i.e., elements that will boil water when added to it (sodium is a possibility). I thnk if you want something that is endothermic, you would be looking at either something that is way below the temepreature of liquid water anyway (like liquid nitrogeen) or else a compound, not an element.

One possible approach for the latter would be barium hydroxide octahydrate with ammonium nitrate (an example of an endothermic reaction) in a metal container surrounded by ambient-temperature water. I'm not sure it would freeze the water, but it would certainly cool it.

[edit on 7-10-2004 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
In my youth, I worked for a while in an ice plant that produced large ice blocks for the chemical industry. They would put water in some kind of wooden molds. The molds had a conductive copper rod that was placed into it along with a chemical pellet. You might contact a similar company for the process.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Calculon386

Have you read Kurt Vonnegut's book Ice Nine?

A very cool book.

Vonnegut's book is titled "Cat's Cradle".

E_T

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creative_minds
Well, it wouldn't have to be just element.

Temperature of supercooled water can be under zero but it still doesn't freeze... until something causes disturbance and after that it freezes instantly.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
thanks for all the help i should be able to find what im looking for now (if its even possible...) Late

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamSelene

Originally posted by Calculon386

Have you read Kurt Vonnegut's book Ice Nine?

A very cool book.

Vonnegut's book is titled "Cat's Cradle".

Right, geeze... don't I look uninformed. I knew i should have gone to the shelf to make sure!

top topics

join