It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain-Scanning Binoculars Tap Into Soldiers’ Unconscious Minds To Locate Threats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is just remarkable. New technology that brings threats perceived by the unconscious
mind to conscious awareness. What a great tool for soldiers on the battlefield. Still gotta
wonder though... what constitutes a threat? Will I be considered a threat some day?
How bout the IMF? Wishful thinking I suppose.....

Soldiers scanning the battlefield for threats may soon get a new tool: a brain-scanning set of binoculars that can pick up on a soldier’s unconscious recognition of a potential threat and bring it to his conscious attention. It’s just one of many ways DARPA and other military research groups are looking to have soldiers mind-meld with their machines and materiel, and as the BBC reports, it demonstrates how remarkably close we are to deploying mind-control on the battlefield.

It can take the brain some time to become conscious of things it sees, and when seconds are critical--say, in the case of a convoy barreling toward a buried IED--the Sentinel recognizes the P300 signal imparted by the unconscious perception of that threat and alerts the soldier that he has just seen something significant, trimming the time between his seeing something and actually perceiving the threat.

Brain-Scanning Binoculars

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by Nspekta

Well, it is really a pair of special goggles/binoculars - A camera/computer scans a wide range of area and decides on potential threats.. then flashes those pictures infront of the user.. when the computer detects that you have given off the P300 signal, the computer detects that and the user is alerted to focus on that specific image!

i have to laugh when i see stuff like this touted as some sort of advance
it's actually the opposite

the brain/mind can already do this, else humans would be extinct otherwise
consciousness/awareness/mindfulness can be enhanced through diligent practice
no need for overpriced gizmos

oh wait, duuuh!, precisely what TCOTBIP do not want in ANYBODY much less soldiers

i have to laugh at these "supersoldiers" whose superpowers can be turned off

flood a battle area with subsonic isochronic tones that resonate with the P300 signal
and sit back and watch the chaos

maybe a modified bullroarer could do the trick

pity the peoples taxes were most probably spent on these investigations, and the final result is some MIC corporate fatcats are the primary beneficiaries, instead of trickling down to the classroom

interesting subject, nonetheless

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by orbitbaby
This is just remarkable. New technology that brings threats perceived by the unconscious
mind to conscious awareness. What a great tool for soldiers on the battlefield. Still gotta
wonder though... what constitutes a threat? Will I be considered a threat some day?
How bout the IMF? Wishful thinking I suppose.....

A "threat" is whatever the individual perceives to be a threat. When someone perceives a "threat," there is a chemical reaction in the brain that triggers the limbic system and certain reactive auto response such as "fight or flight." This technology simply inter-operates with the triggering of that response. So, in theory, it could be triggered by someone who sees a spider and has an arachnophobia. Just because it can identify a "threat" doesn't take away responsibility from the receiver of the information to analyze the credibility of the "threat." It's a neat trick, but I don't see the application being useful under the guidelines in which it is being presented.

JMHO.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy
It's a neat trick, but I don't see the application being useful under the guidelines in which it is being presented.

It's only $2,000 or less if they accidentally kill an innocent Iraqi. The cost of the technology and research isn't justified since there is no real liability for killing innocent people when you invade a country. Cheaper alternative is just kill 'em all. You could scrounge up some people who look like Iraqi's to repopulate the country...they'd take free homes.

So the real purpose of the new technology can only be required to use on your own population.

new topics

top topics

join