It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Contractor Caught Illegally Selling Military Technology to China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Source

A six-year U.S. probe found that Pratt & Whitney, a key military hardware supplier to the U.S., sold China the software and engines needed to make its first-ever modern attack helicopter.

The Canadian arm of the aircraft engine manufacturer Pratt & Whitney closed a six-year U.S. government probe last week by admitting that it helped China produce its first modern attack helicopter, a serious violation of U.S. export laws that drew a multimillion dollar fine. At the same time it was helping China, the company was separately earning huge fees from contracts with the Pentagon, including some in which it was building weapons meant to ensure that America can maintain decisive military superiority over China's rising military might. The Chinese helicopter that benefited from Pratt's engines and related computer software, now in production, comes outfitted with 30 mm cannons, anti-tank guided missiles, air-to-air missiles and unguided rockets. "This case is a clear example of how the illegal export of sensitive technology reduces the advantages our military currently possesses," Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director John Morton said in a statement released on June 28.

I don't know how we are supposed to maintain superiority over these countries if we keep selling our military technology all for the sake of a quick profit. They are screwing us in the long run..

"here, lets give china, a country on the opposite end of tensions between the US and other communist countries, the capability to build advanced attack helicopters. They can't possibly use them against us and we get monies for it!"

great...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

SUB CONTRACTORS

They will be the death of America.

We should NEVER have EVER subcontracted anything that has to do with our military to civilians. From Blackwater to this latest story, they have done nothing but weaken Americas security. I hate that entire practice of subcontracting. It disgusts me.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

I don't know how we are supposed to maintain superiority over these countries if we keep selling our military technology all for the sake of a quick profit. They are screwing us in the long run..

"here, lets give china, a country on the opposite end of tensions between the US and other communist countries, the capability to build advanced attack helicopters. They can't possibly use them against us and we get monies for it!"

great...

Every body is screwing everybody(ok, not 'everybody'... but you should get this point), the government screws the people, the people screw the government, the government is of the people...

Sodom and Gomorrah anybody?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

"They've had a smattering of issues over the years -- everything from environmental violations to false claims made to the government," said Neil Gordon, a POGO investigator focusing on government contracting issues. "The military relies on too few companies for these weapons and services. So, they often have few other options when a provider is guilty of misconduct."

The above says a lot. Apparently these people cannot toe the line, but the government keeps using them anyways. There needs to be SERIOUS JAIL TIME for people who do this. Do not just fine the company, jail the people involved.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
reply to post by Gwampo

SUB CONTRACTORS

They will be the death of America.

We should NEVER have EVER subcontracted anything that has to do with our military to civilians. From Blackwater to this latest story, they have done nothing but weaken Americas security. I hate that entire practice of subcontracting. It disgusts me.

We have to contract to civilians. That is how our country works. Our military cannot make it's own helicopters, they have to be manufactured by civilian companies.

I agree about Blackwater though as they performed duties that had previously been performed by US military in other wars.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
reply to post by Gwampo

SUB CONTRACTORS..They will be the death of America.
This sounds so much like what the Big Three at one point used to do. Manufacture everything inhouse to make the cars unlike the Japanese. Quality is vastly improved with competition from outside contractors (not definitely the cost). Just imagine if everything was under the Government instead of private sector
Quality will decline drastically if it wasn't for private contractors.

new topics

top topics

join