It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

reading ATS in between the lines

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds
I find it odd , and rather ironic,as well as humorous that a website where many of its members fight for the freedom of anonymity on the web, has tracking prowess to your private web browsing even after logging off, and can generate ads specifically geared towards that.

We have no such technology or capabilities. Further, our privacy policy states we don't do what you just claimed.

I apologize if I mistook the cookies I receive when coming on this site as part of the tracking system that allows the ads that are geared towards our searches.. When I first came to this site and would do a scan immediately after logging off, there were always cookies to clean..

So once again my apologies if I misunderstood.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Maaaan, too many awesome replies. Can't reply to them all, but just want to say thanks for the kicks in the butt. eyes are on the prize

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts
To me it appears that these discussions are kept secret because if made public it would show how arbitrarily the T&Cs were enforced.

That's not the case. In the past, staff members who have not followed the Terms & Conditions with regard to topic or member management have been removed from staff.

There was a thread today about pedophiles being born pedophiles that was removed even though there are numerous thread about being born gay.

So... you would feel absolutely comfortable discussing pedophiles not being able to help themselves, and deserving of our compassion, in mixed company at a party where you're not really well-known by the host? (This goes back to my example of simplicity.)

I have seen threads with members asking what sites they can and cannot link to which get taken down and i have seen thread with members asking what topics are not allowed and they get taken down.

Because the T&C is clear, we remove such silly threads. Topics about "what I can't talk about" typically degrade into absurd faux-indignation and artificial confusion just to generate drama and entertain oneself in a dustup with forum staff.

Going back to that party metaphor. If you've been invited to the party of "Person A," and you know "Person Y" has spent a great deal of time making up lies about "Person A," are you going to bring "Person Y" as your guest? Seriously. It's not difficult.

If you look at the site statistics the breaking alternative news forum is the most popular
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Forum stats give no indication of the overall popularity of ATS. Just because our members initiate more threads in Breaking Alternative News is no indication that it's the most popular forum.

We get about 4 million unique visitors to the site every month. We tag our analytics package with meta data for each forum. The General Conspiracies forum is the run-a-way traffic leader. Breaking Alternative News is second, but there's a fair-sized gap between them.

Also, what's wrong with initiating topics on current mainstream news if the intent is to discuss the issue collaboratively so that we all may learn more than what the mainstream is telling us?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds
I apologize if I mistook the cookies I receive when coming on this site as part of the tracking system

You implied AboveTopSecret.com was initiating and controlling some "tracking" technology that provided us (ATS) with information about your browsing history.

That implication is absolutely false.

Advertisers use the "tracking" primarily to deliver a variety of ads (if they can't remember which ads you've seen, it's impossible to rotate campaigns), and to attempt to target relevant ads.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

So... you would feel absolutely comfortable discussing pedophiles not being able to help themselves, and deserving of our compassion, in mixed company at a party where you're not really well-known by the host? (This goes back to my example of simplicity.)

So you automatically assume everyone would agree with the OP and so therefore it was removed? Again we seem to have the arbitrary enforcement of the T&Cs.

Again, because the T&C is clear. Topics about "what I can't talk about" typically degrade into absurd faux-indignation and artificial confusion just to generate drama and entertain oneself in a dustup with forum staff.

So since you have obviously seen this problem as well, why not just have a sticky you can refer people to on the subject?

Forum stats give no indication of the overall popularity of ATS. Just because our members initiate more threads in Breaking Alternative News is no indication that it's the most popular forum.

We get about 4 million unique visitors to the site every month. We tag our analytics package with meta data for each forum. The General Conspiracies forum is the run-a-way traffic leader. Breaking Alternative News is second, but there's a fair gap.

Right.... statistics don't mean anything....
im just not seeing the 4 million
www.quantcast.com...
Over a million posts in the breaking alternative news forum, 750k in general conspiracy

Also, what's wrong with initiating topics on current mainstream news if the intent is to discuss the issue collaboratively so that we all may learn more than what the mainstream is telling us?

There is nothing wrong with it but it is not really conspiracy, it probably the exact opposite. I just don't see why it is called alternative news, This looked a bit more alternative to me
abovetopsecret.yuku.com...

On a side note, can I change my avatar to a KKK member or a neo-nazi? I see there is an acceptance of using Anon as a avatar. Now i know that Black and Jewish members may not like it on account of all the hate stuff. But if Scientologists on ATS can handle it Im sure the black and Jewish members would be able to put up with it.

edit on 13-7-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

On a side note, can I change my avatar to a KKK member or a neo-nazi?

I've addressed your initial concerns with logical answers. Now you're just being absurd and demonstrating exactly the kind of BS in "what can't I talk about" threads.

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

On a side note, can I change my avatar to a KKK member or a neo-nazi?

I've addressed your initial concerns with logical answers. Now you're just being absurd and demonstrating exactly the kind of BS in "what can't I talk about" threads.

Good luck.

So is that a yes? But it is not like that was the only thing i posted bill. But its not absurd at all. Im sure black and jewish members have had to deal with the threats and intimidation from white supremacy groups. Just like scientologists have had to deal with death threats and have been forced to leave their church due to bomb threats. So why is one okay but not the other? Could i put a guy fawkes mask over a KKK member's hood, would that be okay?
edit on 13-7-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Can you at least explain that to me? Is that Anonymous is a cool and hip hate group?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by doyouremember

Were you post banned for this thread or was it a goodbye?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Can you at least explain that to me? Is that Anonymous is a cool and hip hate group?

The "picture "is much larger.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

Dos centavos: Lots of back and forth banter approaching the let's "beat-a-dead-horse" some more...

My only suggestion would be to read the ATS T&Cs. If you wish to participate in this forum, you should abide by the rules. If the rules, by your own value system, seem arbitrary, coercive, unfair, counter-productive, disingenuous, or anything else not to your liking, simply do not "enter" the room, i.e., do not participate, and go elsewhere where the 'rules' are more to your liking.

Alternatively, you may wish to consider developing your own forum, make your own rules, and then invite others to participate. I myself may stop in for a look around, and, if welcomed and continually intriguing content compels me to stay and participate, I may do so. Otherwise, I'll excuse myself and return to another "party" where I have been invited to participate (as long as I play by the rules).

To me, this is not such a complex and disengaging concept as some here are making it out to be.

Instead of over-thinking the proposal, simply ask yourself: Do I like it here? Can I learn something I may not have seen elsewhere or think I can find it here easier? Are there others here that I can engage in a thoughtful discourse with while everyone remains (relatively) civil? Is there someone "in charge" to keep things organized, orderly, and constructive while being careful to not discourage free-thinking?

If the answers to the above are affirmative (or mostly so), come on in for a spell! HaveFun, Mingle, Think, Engage.

If the answers are negative (or mostly so), then do not enter, do not participate, find another place that better meets your expectations.

Consequently - I'm off to my favorite 'rooms' in the ATS-Partyhouse (Fragile Earth, Breaking Alternative News, and, of course, Aliens and UFO's). Yum. Maybe we can hook-up there to ponder some conundrum together? No? That's ok too...

Everyone else - please take care, and ...keep looking up!

edit on 9/26/2012 by Outrageo because:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

Well,he can't participate now, Davidwilts has been banned.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Oh.

Never mind, then...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join