It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

reading ATS in between the lines

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I find it odd , and rather ironic,as well as humorous that a website where many of its members fight for the freedom of anonymity on the web, has tracking prowess to your private web browsing even after logging off, and can generate ads specifically geared towards that.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Sometimes to win the battle,you have to burn the village.
You gotta play the game.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Sometimes to win the battle,you have to burn the village.
You gotta play the game.

ya right...oookaaay

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by DavidWillts

ATS drifts in the direction the membership do.

With a little push from the owners...

This is member driven content.

This is site owner and mod driven content.

The owners and staff of ATS are hardly the ones providing the content. They give you (the memberhsip) an avenue to discuss things, if the membership is creating the content, and bringing a more MSM feel to the website, then that's the memberhship's fault.

Not the owners.

Be the change you'd like to see.

~Tenth

Im sorry you are clearly wrong, the bulk of the "content" now comes from mainstream media sources. When you sign up you are already given breaking "alternative" news as a forum favorite which is a push in that direction. Then as far as the site goes the bar for what can be considered good content is almost non resistant in the breaking "alternative" news forum. While whacky conspiracy threads get quickly moved to the gray area for being too out there or the trash because they are not ATS material the breaking "alternative" news forum is an anything goes forum that has become the cash cow of ATS. In every forum there are rigid rules about the topic posted but as far as i can see the for braking "alternative" news forum it just has to be breaking news and it can come from any MSM source.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts

This is site owner and mod driven content.

I'm not going to debate you when you aren't correct at all in your facts. MEMBERS create the content, they upload it to ATS. This is NOT mod/owner driven, it is fully member driven.

Im sorry you are clearly wrong, the bulk of the "content" now comes from mainstream media sources. When you sign up you are already given breaking "alternative" news as a forum favorite which is a push in that direction. Then as far as the site goes the bar for what can be considered good content is almost non resistant in the breaking "alternative" news forum. While whacky conspiracy threads get quickly moved to the gray area for being too out there or the trash because they are not ATS material the breaking "alternative" news forum is an anything goes forum that has become the cash cow of ATS. In every forum there are rigid rules about the topic posted but as far as i can see the for braking "alternative" news forum it just has to be breaking news and it can come from any MSM source.

Again, the content is NOT provided by the owners or staff, the Membership, post the content from the MSM sources.

It's not rocket science. If the members are uploading content and that content is not from desirable sources ( according to you) than how is that the owners or staff's fault? We provide a venue for you to upload and discuss content.

And in all honesty, if you are so upset with how this place is governed and or the content found in it, then why do you return day after day?

I'm sure there are plenty of other venues that would provide this exact kind of discussion and analysis of news and conspiracy theories.

~Tenth
edit on 7/12/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I barely notice them besides they aren't worth the time spent noticing them since they are advertising something I already searched for. So by the time they show up here I've already purchased enough big knickers to cover my modesty for the next year and OH has already bought the android phone he was after.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

MEMBERS create the content, they upload it to ATS.

While you are correct that members upload it to ATS most of the content is created elsewhere and just uploaded here.

This is NOT mod/owner driven, it is fully member driven.

The members are certainly being driven in a direction here and it is not because threads are closed down in the breaking "alternative" news forum for "not being ATS material".

Again, the content is NOT provided by the owners or staff, the Membership, post the content from the MSM sources.

Yes and there are some new sites that members are not allowed to post from because they are known to distribute hoax reports but at the same time people can post story after story from fox no matter how much everyone can agree that fox does the same thing. The fact is it has nothing to do with what is a hoax or not, it is about the cash for clicks. A fictional fox story will bring users in while a weekly world news story about aliens landing will not. And again, the members don't make up the rules about what sources can and cannot be used, that is the owners and moderators driving the site.

It's not rocket science. If the members are uploading content and that content is not from desirable sources ( according to you) than how is that the owners or staff's fault?

Its not about desirable or undesirable sources, i just find it funny that you call a forum breaking alternative news on a conspiracy site when there is nothing alternative about it. The owners and staff have made it this way.

And in all honesty, if you are so upset with how this place is governed and or the content found in it, then why do you return day after day? I'm sure there are plenty of other venues that would provide this exact kind of discussion and analysis of news and conspiracy theories.

Wasn't it you saying "be the change you want to see"? Or is that something that people just throw out there like "deny ignorance" hoping that it is some type of response. So what is it am i supposed to be the change I want to see or you going to continue to pull this if you don't like it leave crap with me?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I understand your gripe with that particular forum.

It's original intent has been skewed a bit, however other forums have picked up the slack. And mind you, this is an election year, and the same thing happens every election year.

But the idea of " If you don't like it, leave" still stands, constructive criticism is one thing and we very much appreciate it trust me, ( a lot of changes have been done due to suggestions from the membership) and I don't mean to be rude about it in any way.

I've just had this conversation 9 thousand times over the year and half I've been a moderator, and the 2 years prior to that being a member. It gets boring, so forgive my indifference.

But if you want to see a change in the forum, the please find Alternative News and post it in that forum, make a point in your OP (not others) that you will only post this kind of news and that's what the forum is for.

If members see that it's more alternative and the vast majority of threads begin to sway that way, then you have accomplished what you said out to do. But merely stating that something is this way, without attempting to resolve the problem that seems to bother you, is kind of silly.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It's original intent has been skewed a bit,

But it brings in the clicks so it is all ATS material...

however other forums have picked up the slack.

Not so sure about that either. Take the conspiracies in religion forum, when is the last time you saw an actual conspiracy posted in there? 99% of all the threads in there can be divided up as
Typical Atheist rhetoric
Christian arguments for god

I mean I could go on and I could start making threads to change the site but it is just so hard to keep up with what is okay to post and what is not. I have seen threads taken down for no real reason and the rules are hard to follow too. Its seems that it is okay to gather support for things like petitions in some cases but not others
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

The first thraed you linked is now removed, we do not allow activism. There were no alerts by the membership so it fell under the radar.

The 2nd is something that could potentially actually effect ATS and the owners reserve the right to do whatever it is they please with their sandbox.

The third link had a petition linked which was removed a mod note was added to ensure people were aware of the rules.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

It's original intent has been skewed a bit,

But it brings in the clicks so it is all ATS material...

however other forums have picked up the slack.

Not so sure about that either. Take the conspiracies in religion forum, when is the last time you saw an actual conspiracy posted in there? 99% of all the threads in there can be divided up as
Typical Atheist rhetoric
Christian arguments for god

I mean I could go on and I could start making threads to change the site but it is just so hard to keep up with what is okay to post and what is not. I have seen threads taken down for no real reason

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds
I find it odd , and rather ironic,as well as humorous that a website where many of its members fight for the freedom of anonymity on the web, has tracking prowess to your private web browsing even after logging off, and can generate ads specifically geared towards that.

We have no such technology or capabilities. Further, our privacy policy states we don't do what you just claimed.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Take the conspiracies in religion forum, when is the last time you saw an actual conspiracy posted in there?

Yesterday,
The Hidden Bible

Your point?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I mean I could go on and I could start making threads to change the site but it is just so hard to keep up with what is okay to post and what is not. I have seen threads taken down for no real reason

It's never been hard to understand what content could be in danger of removal from ATS.

If what your shouting about might get you kicked out of a party at someone's house you don't know very well, then most likely it would also be removed from ATS.

It's rather simple.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
If what your shouting about might get you kicked out of a party at someone's house you don't know very well, then most likely it would also be removed from ATS.

It's rather simple.

Now Bill, we both know it is not that simple.
edit on 13-7-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Take the conspiracies in religion forum, when is the last time you saw an actual conspiracy posted in there?

Yesterday,
The Hidden Bible

Your point?

My point is that the conspiracy aspect of ATS is fading away and a majority of the threads in Conspiracies in Religion are nothing more than typical pro/anti religious crap or just general discussion about religion.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Now Bill, we both know it is not that simple

Can you explain yourself better?

Why is it not so simple as that?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Now Bill, we both know it is not that simple

Can you explain yourself better?

Why is it not so simple as that?

Well i certainly cannot post the numerous threads that were taken down for what appeared no reason at all- because they are gone.

I cannot talk about members that have been banned- that is against the rules.

In general i find it kind of strange that a site that is supposedly themed around conspiracy and all of its subtopics also happens to be one of the most heavily censored boards i have ever seen.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Well i certainly cannot post the numerous threads that were taken down for what appeared no reason at all- because they are gone.

Just because you're not privy to the decisions of our staff does not mean threads were removed for "no reason at all." Don't be coy. Please, what is the subject matter you believe was removed for no reason?

I cannot talk about members that have been banned- that is against the rules.

For good reason. Prior to the restriction, a great deal of nasty comments were directed toward people who were unable to respond in their defense (because they were banned). The primary motivation for the rule is to prevent a situation were someone cannot defend themselves in threads.

In general i find it kind of strange that a site that is supposedly themed around conspiracy and all of its subtopics also happens to be one of the most heavily censored boards i have ever seen.

There is only a very short list of topics not allowed, I'd hardly call that "heavily censored."

Could you explain how, with such "heavy handed" censorship as you seem to believe, we have become the most popular user-generated venue for conspiracy and related provocative topics? If the censorship is as horrible as you seem to imply, wouldn't our popularity suffer?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Just because you're not privy to the decisions of our staff does not mean threads were removed for "no reason at all."

Well when a thread is just gone for no reason-yeah that is what comes to mind, no reason. I have seen numerous threads that just get 404'd while others get closed with the explanation. To me it appears that these discussions are kept secret because if made public it would show how arbitrarily the T&Cs were enforced.
John Lear was supposed to back up all the stuff that he made up, yet the skunkworks and gray area are full of stuff that is made up.

Please, what is the subject matter you believe was removed for no reason?

There was a thread today about pedophiles being born pedophiles that was removed even though there are numerous thread about being born gay. There have been many but once they are gone they are gone so I can't really link to them because they are gone. I have seen threads with members asking what sites they can and cannot link to which get taken down and i have seen thread with members asking what topics are not allowed and they get taken down.

If the censorship is as horrible as you seem to imply, wouldn't our popularity suffer?

If you look at the site statistics the breaking alternative news forum is the most popular
As discussed earlier there is nothing really "alternative" about it. It is Main Stream news, the same stuff we see on the television. So yes it is popular as a mainstream news forum but not really as a conspiracy forum. The popularity of this site is because of the news articles not because members "deny ignorance" or post conspiracy topics. That would be like saying MTV is a popular TV channel because of all the music videos they play.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join