It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida teen lost arm in alligator attack.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by nixie_nox

ETA:
For the record, there is no "right" thing to do when attacked by a gator. They are basically impregnable to any of a humans natural defenses. You can't hurt them. You can try to remember to hold your breath, because they are probably going to roll. You should resist and make sure you are not an easy meal. If they get a good grip on something like an arm, pray it comes off, because that will help you survive. If the arm stays attached, you'll likely be killed. Better to lose an arm than your life. Poking them in the eyes or gripping under the bottom of their snout very, very strongly with your fingertips might provide a little bit of discomfort to them, but nothing they are not used to. The only thing you can do is just not go easily, and hope they give up.
edit on 11-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

Thank you for the info!

I will say that not everyone would be willing to tear their own arm off with the help of a gator to get free.

ARen't their underbellies soft? Is there any help there?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Thank you for the info!

I will say that not everyone would be willing to tear their own arm off with the help of a gator to get free.

ARen't their underbellies soft? Is there any help there?

If you have a knife, or something very strong and pointy, then they have a couple of relatively soft spots, but not soft in comparison to human flesh. Your fingers and finger nails are no match for their tough hide. The top is armored, the bottom is a little softer, but not that much.

Of course, it depends on the age and size of the gator also. It is was a relatively small or immature one, maybe you could induce enough discomfort to make it want to find another target. That is your main objective, don't be an easy meal! Convince them to go after something else instead of you.

I've read the most effective means is to grab and grip with your fingers under their bottom jaw, pressing hard up into their mouth from the bottom. This works with dogs and humans as well!

In most cases, you just have to not drown, and not get pulled into deeper water where they have the clear advantage. If you can stay on or near land, and keep fighting, then they will probably give up relatively quickly.

They can run VERY FAST, which most people don't realize, but they won't run for very far, so it is always a good idea to run away.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth

Originally posted by Expat888
Definite Darwin Candidate there ... prime example of a gene - pool needing chlorination ....

I don't know why you say that. I live in Florida, all of us go in rivers sometimes, wade fishing, swimming, floating. Some of these rivers are supposed to be gator free, but all this flooding lately has displaced them from other nearby places.

It can happen to anyone who have a normal life, and live it out of complete fear. When I go floating down the river with friends and family, I keep a watchful eye for sure.

over here even children know NOT to play with the animals and NOT to go swimming in places with crocs in them ...

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join