It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am only the self.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I know we are supposed to give our reasons for posting something, but with this text there is nothing much to add or subtract for me. All I can say is I am sure it will be interesting to somebody, somewhere and like a message in a bottle I decided to throw it back out there again. For those who it captivates enjoy and for those whom it does not, just let it float. This is transcribed from a video and the person to speak these words was know as Nisargatta Maharaj.
There is absolutely no difference between me and others. Except in the knowing myself as I am. I am all,I know it for certain and you do not. In reality I am neither hearing nor answering, In the world of events the question happens and the answer happens. Nothing happens to me everything just happens, My destiny was to be born a simple man, a humble tradesman with little formal education. My life was of the common kind with desire and fears.
Then through faith in my teacher and obedience to his words, I realized my true being. I left behind my human nature to look after itself until its destiny is exhausted.

Occasionally an over reaction, emotional or mental happens in the mind, but it is at once noticed and discarded. After all as long as one is burdened with the personality, one is exposed to its idio-synchronicity and habits. When I met my guru he told me you are not what you take yourself to be. Find out what you are,watch the sense I am, find your real self. I obeyed him because I trusted him,I did as he told me. All my time I would spend looking at myself in silence, and what a difference it made. How soon, it took me only three years to realize my true nature. My Guru died soon after I met him, but it made no difference I remembered what he told me and perceived of it, that fruit is here with me.
Without realization you will be consumed by desire and fears,repeating themselves in endless suffering.

Most of the people do not know that there can be an end to pain. But once they have heard the good news, obviously going beyond all strife and struggle is the most urgent task that can be. You’ll know that you can be free and now it is up to you. Either you remain forever hungry and thirsty, ever losing and sorrowing. Or go out wholeheartedly in search of the stage of timeless perfection, to which nothing can be added or nothing can be taken away. In it all desires and fears are exhausted, not because the were given up. But because they have lost there meaning.
How do you go about finding anything? By keeping your mind and heart on it. Interest there must be and a steady remembrance to remember what needs to be remembered is the secret of success. You come to it through earnestness,seek a clear mind and a clean heart. All you need is to keep quietly alert inquiring in to the real nature of your self. This is the only way to peace, All happens by itself, neither the seeker nor the guru does anything. Things happen as they happen, blame or praise are served afterwards. After the sense of doer ship occurs,when effort is needed effort will appear, when effortlessness is essential it will assert itself. You need not push life about just flow with it. Give yourself completely to this task of the present moment. Which is to die now to the now, for living is die in .Without death life cannot be.

Ultimately one must go beyond knowledge, but the knowledge must come and knowledge can come from constant meditation. By meditating the knowledge I am gradually settles down and merges with universal knowledge and thereby becomes totally free like the sky or space. Those who come here in search of knowledge, even spiritual knowledge. They come here as individuals aspiring to get something. That is the real difficulty the seeker must disappear. When you know your real nature,the knowledge I am remains. But that knowledge is unlimited, it is not possible for you to acquire knowledge, You are knowledge you are what you are seeking. Your true being exists prior to the arising of any concept. Dive deep within yourself and you will find it easily and simply. Go in the direction of I am, Gold exists in the mind, both mind and body are intermittent states. The sum total of these flashes creates the illusion of these states. Inquire in to what is permanent within the transient and real in the unreal. This is Sadhana (the way to practice) or spiritual practice. All those who have realized on the spot by mere touch,look or tat, where ripe for it. But such are very few, the majority needs sometime for ripening, sadhana is accelerated ripening. You must realize first of all that you are the proof of everything, including your self. None can prove your existence,because his existence must be confirmed by yours first. Your being and knowing are your own. You do not come from somewhere or go anywhere. You are timeless being and awareness. Develop the witness attitude and you will find in your own experience that detachment brings control. The state of witnessing is full of power, there is nothing passive about it. just keep in mind the feeling I am,merge in it till your mind and feelings become one. By repeated attempts you will stumble on the right balance of attention and your mind will be firmly established in the heart feeling of I am. Whatever you think say or do a sense of the immutable and affectionate being remains as the ever present background.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Brilliant, thanks for sharing! He reminds me of Huang Po, one of the old Zen masters, great read. Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ancientthunder

I don't mean to be rude, but... are you sure you are you or... someone your guru wanted you to be ?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by dontlaughthink

No that is not rude in fact its a good and fair question, I cant really answer for the man who said those words. But it is implied that his guru didnt tell him who he was but pointed to a way in which for him to investigate. Its really not an order or comand, its a sugestion. In this case, I dont think his guru stood much to gain from his student, unlike many religeons that do.All these things become obvious if you were actually there, other than that its a risk that one takes.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Most of the people do not know that there can be an end to pain. But once they have heard the good news, obviously going beyond all strife and struggle is the most urgent task that can be. You’ll know that you can be free and now it is up to you. Either you remain forever hungry and thirsty, ever losing and sorrowing. Or go out wholeheartedly in search of the stage of timeless perfection, to which nothing can be added or nothing can be taken away.

So did this person overcome the need to eat and drink? I don't think it is possible to transcend pain. You might can reduce it. You might can get rid of some of its forms. But, you can't get rid of pain altogether.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

In your thread you said that one must go beyond knowledge. Wouldnt that be called imagination?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Wise words, different from intelligence, but still it is both. Could I ask though what is the meaning of the first picture and how it is related to the content?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

I added the photos to the text to give it a bit of imagery, if your read the tex above the picture it says.

I left behind my human nature to look after itself until its destiny is exhausted.

the image itself is an Indian American concept/belief and its know as the "end of the line". For humans destiny is kind of linear, so I thought this picture conveyed this message really well.
I once had a belt with it on and loved it.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus

In your thread you said that one must go beyond knowledge. Wouldnt that be called imagination?

Well imagination is needed to transcend anything, but I would say its an assistant in helping you transcend the need for knowledge. My way of explaining it, is like this, if you want to cross a river you need stuff you don't normally use, like a boat. Once you have reached your destiny although that boat was needed once your on the other side it can be discarded. Nowadays we are told through movies and other mediums that IQ(notice how its in upper case) and a special intellect is what makes us superior. What if that is not the whole truth, not saying its not beneficial but not convinced with the current model of superiority, not many of the ones from before either. Software is useful, but we need to discover the hardware!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Now lets see I know the text is in english, but its a translation from an Indian man.their language is rich in symbology as its an ancient language that developed that way.

So did this person overcome the need to eat and drink? I don't think it is possible to transcend pain. You might can reduce it. You might can get rid of some of its forms. But, you can't get rid of pain altogether.

What the text is saying hungry and thirsty, this implies always looking for a way of being satisfied but this always leads to pain. In this symbology, its like we are someone who is in the desert, thirsty hungry and lost. With all the mirages there are in life, none of them really satisfy our true needs.As we get older we realize this, unless we prefer the mirage of self delusion, which is always an option.
With reference to getting rid of pain altogether, you are right as long as you have a body pain can easily be experienced. But this man was not talking about that type of pain. thanks for replying and showing some interest.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Well imagination is needed to transcend anything, but I would say its an assistant in helping you transcend the need for knowledge.
maybe were not on the same page. Imagination is nothing more than ones ablity to make mental images of a material universe. To transcend this "material universe" one must go above and beyond the limits of time and space. Question is, how is imagination needed to transcend anything, when it cant transcend the material universe?
edit on 11-7-2012 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I am only myself and my own teacher/guru. Nobody else can know my ego, desires, limitations, and my self. I travel through this life experiencing pain and pleasure, on my terms, these can be interchangeable depending on small variances or moods/desires. Nothing is black and white within the self; ever changing.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
"Accelerated ripening." I love the idea. Makes me feel all juicy. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

why do you think sufficientcy lies within?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

This video is well worth a watch:
Ramana Maharshi 'Abide As The Self'
youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus
reply to post by InTheLight

why do you think sufficientcy lies within?

I didn't say it does.

However now that you bring up that thought. It can very well lie within for some people; those that are highly spiritual or loners by choice, or not by choice, have to work harder within themselves to find it, perhaps like Tibetan monks do.

Others may teach me their perspectives, but in the end it is my choice whether or not to adopt those teachings as presented, or alter them to my unique id, my progressing self.

I am in control of my self (to a great extent), but my id, ego is complex and inner reflection and self-realization is a must if one is to truely know oneself now and through all future changes within the psyche.

In this knowledge, I find sufficiency in mind and spirit and know that my path through life is my responsibility; my choices direct my path. I judge myself, my actions; nobody else could really deeply understand my self as I do. That includes the gray areas, or surrealist areas of the mind; not dark side as people like to call it. Who dares to venture forth into that realm to understand it and control it? I try.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

hi amigo,
we are on the same page, but there is a translation issue I would say.
Ok imagine this scenario ( no pun intended) a tribe is discovered that has never met modern man nor any of his gadgets, planes, tools, watches etc. Eventually you manage to communicate in the tribes language and you tell him the following. In our country in our houses we have light, not the same as the sun but also very bright. You tell him, you just touch a thing on the wall and there is light or no light. He does not believe you, why because what you say he cant even imagine it to be possible. you take him in to a house and say flick the switch and the will be light, more than likely he wont as he is unable to believe you, he cant imagine it as possible. Therefore it is not possible. Until he sees you do it, then eventually he will pull the switch. that is where we get the idea of unimaginable, impossible if we stick to that mind set we are stuck with what we know. So imagination is required for any venture that seems to be impossible. As I said in the text it is only an aid at first and further down the line can be discarded or replaced with something superior. Hope that at least explaining my stand point. Best AT

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSubversiveOne

yes that accelerated ripeness was what made me transcribe the document it seemed to hit me deep as being true. funny that
best AT

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Well said, nice post my friend...

Its important to realize the seperation between the spirit and the body...

So we ask... Who am i?

And if we seek with all our mind and spirit... we find the truth..

Body and spirit are one

S&F

edit on 12-7-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Well said, nice post my friend...

Its important to realize the seperation between the spirit and the body...

So we ask... Who am i?

And if we seek with all our mind and spirit... we find the truth..

Body and spirit are one

S&F

edit on 12-7-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)
first you say that its inportant to realize the seperation between the the body and spirit , then you go a. and say the body and spirit are one. Which one is it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join