It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite study of Asian mountains show that glaciers are NOT melting - and some are actually gainin

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Satellite study of Asian mountains show that glaciers are NOT melting - and some are actually gaining new ice

www.da ilymail.co.uk

Huge glaciers in the area between Pakistan and China are puzzling scientists - and disproving the doom-laden predictions of some climate experts.

The glaciers in the Karakoram Range between northern Pakistan and western China have actually grown, rather than shrinking.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Although the growth is so small that the glaciers might not be growing, what is clear is that these glaciers are not shrinking.

Now, these glaciers are in Asia, and China happens to be the most polluted country in the world, and their emissions of anthropogenic (man-made) CO2 far surpasses the emissions from countries like the U.S.

Meanwhile I am not advocating that it is ok to emit/release more "real toxic chemicals or toxic gases", the fact is that this shows that atmospheric CO2, or even anthropogenic (man-made) CO2 are not the cause of the warming, or the cause of the Climate Change.

If it was true that the main reason for Climate Change, or warming is anthropogenic CO2, then these glacies should be melting at an alarming rate, but they are not, so the causes of the warming, and the causes of the dramatic Climate Changes must be natural.

www.da ilymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-7-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: errors.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
More evidence for the cyclical nature of climate change. Definitely not man made.

Thanks for the info mate!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I read articles addressing this a while back. Seems like the poles are melting and moving like they are going to change position. South America has growing glaciers also. Maybe the movement of the North magnetic pole has a corrective origin. Global warming is partially manmade though, we can cause the tipping point to a disaster with our actions. We have to quit disregarding this planets health. Only an idiot wouldn't be able to see our effect on the stability of this planet's future. It is important to note though that the change we caused is in a perpetual cycle now and the earths correction is unpredictable now. We have exceeded the tipping point and it takes a while for the earth to respond. Between forty and a hundred years after the event the earth corrects it. We are in for a wild ride caused by our neglect. Keeping up our actions will cause an irreversible series of events in the future. I've spent a lot of time over the years looking at the actual evidence on both sides of this. We're in deep dodo.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Maybe you missed this part from your linked article....?

'But unlike the lower glaciers, many of the high glaciers would still be too cold to lose mass, even in the presence of atmospheric warming.’
The bottom line is that glacier variations can be dependent on localized conditions but that these variations are superimposed on a clear and evident long term global reduction in glacier volume which has accelerated rapidly since the 1970s.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
You will find similar studies saying the same thing about the Antarctic as well.

As it turns out, "statisticians" who generated the incontrovertible "proof" that the opposite was happening apparently didn't know everything.... go figure.

Of course, this does not eliminate the true ecological threats we face... but at least it will get some of the "noise" out of the search for truth.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

LoL what is this, a justification for in-action on behalf of humanity??

Humans RUIN ECO SYSTEMS, who would argue with that fact? and if we can't find the right balance we will ALL pay the price.

and It is a hefty one now,,

perhaps this is the Asian countries trying to justify for the ENORMOUS eco footprint on the worlds ass..
edit on 7/11/2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Considering one of the founders of Global Warming renigged on his ideology and the head founder of Global Warming is in hiding in China.

Considering in the 1970s - 1980s , we were suppose to have an Ice Age. lol

Global Warming is nothing but a fraud. In my opinion. (Man-Made) The Earth is getting hotter for whatever reason , and i dont think it is because of pollution / humans.

The Earth has cycles. Hot , Cold , Hot , Cold , Hot , Cold.

---------------------------------------

worldnews.msnbc.msn.com...

He now says the Earth is doing its ' Usual ' tricks.
edit on 11-7-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
"We used to think ____ but now we know _____"

The old line repeated endlessly.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The study shows that certain high altitude Asian glaciers are not melting. It in no way shows that all glaciers are not melting. these are local results

Think of it this way. The fact that it's 58 and rainy in someplace like Seattle doesn't mean the rest of the United States is not experiencing a drought and a record heatwave. Local results do not always reflect the whole.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The think the op has tried to take what it wants from the article in order to re enforce what they already believe. If you read the article(and the comments) you'll find this is not proof that it's natural.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Tree-rings prove climate was WARMER in Roman and Medieval times than it is now - and world has been cooling for 2,000 years

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... kp70

Rings in fossilised pine trees have proven that the world was much warmer than previously thought - and the earth has been slowly COOLING for 2,000 years.

Measurements stretching back to 138BC prove that the Earth is slowly cooling due to changes in the distance between the Earth and the sun.

The finding may force scientists to rethink current theories of the impact of global warming.

It is the first time that researchers have been able to accurately measure trends in global temperature over the last two millennia.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Now, these glaciers are in Asia, and China happens to be the most polluted country in the world, and their emissions of anthropogenic (man-made) CO2 far surpasses the emissions from countries like the U.S.

Meanwhile I am not advocating that it is ok to emit/release more "real toxic chemicals or toxic gases", the fact is that this shows that atmospheric CO2, or even anthropogenic (man-made) CO2 are not the cause of the warming, or the cause of the Climate Change.

If it was true that the main reason for Climate Change, or warming is anthropogenic CO2, then these glacies should be melting at an alarming rate, but they are not, so the causes of the warming, and the causes of the dramatic Climate Changes must be natural.

While I will make no comment on whether "global warming" is happening or not happening and whether it may or may not be effected by human activity, I will say this: The logic above is false, that because China releases more CO2 than anyone, they should be seeing the greatest effects of "global warming" if it is caused by CO2.

It is false logic because when CO2 is emitted it does not simply hang out in the atmosphere directly above the source, it moves, follows the weather, jet stream, etc. The mechanisms by which "global warming" operates, if real, are much larger scale.

Thanks for the article, interesting findings....

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This has been know since 2006 that practically all of the glaciers are melting here and there but are expanding elsewhere.It seems to be a migration of the glaciers.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
More evidence for the cyclical nature of climate change. Definitely not man made.

Thanks for the info mate!

This is the kind of speach that made me return to ATS. Nobody says that we are the guilty ones on climate change, we are only speeding it. Is it too much to understand? CO2, Methane, etc, are greenhouse gases, it's a fact. We release then to the atmosphere in a rate that mother nature can't replace them, it's a fact. We are speeding up climate change, not the sole culprits on it!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JameSimon

That is the scientific assumption.
But how do we know the assumption is correct.

Especially in light of the ring tree finding released recently stating that since roman times we've been on a cooling trend.

Scientists are human after all.

And to be honest CO2 is not a pollutant. It's a nutrient. Plants need it to grow.
Btw the more CO2 in the air means that plants can grow larger.
Look up some of the studies about growing plants in environments hyper rich in CO2.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
All I know, and I've been saying this for a while now, is that here in Australia the winters are getting cooler and the summers and no where near as hot as they used to be. I've asked dozens of people and they all agree with me, it's pretty obvious actually.

Now I can also see that many people in America believe the summers are getting hotter every year... and now this study proves that some glaciers in the Asian mountains are actually getting larger. I think the conclusion we can draw from this, and this is also something I've been saying for a while now, is that our weather patterns are going haywire, some places are dropping dramatically in temperature and some places are growing dramatically in temperature.

There is no "global warming" or "global cooling"... what we actually seem to have is isolated changes in certain areas around the world, considerable shifts in both the positive and negative directions. This would indicate the changes are not man-made, but rather, that the Earth is going through some sort of slow shift or is gearing up for some sort of large shift... perhaps a pole shift, I don't know. But I do know something is happening...
edit on 11/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that for most serious environmentalists, the ones who understand that there are things like microclimates and a wide range of variables when it comes to weather patterns and ecosystems, the rhetoric about global warming is a form of greenwashing and misrepresents the available data.

Is it getting hotter in some places? Yes. Is it getting colder in some places? Yes. Is it business as usual in some places? Yes.

The overall global climate is changing, but it is pretty much always changing. Most people should be familiar with natural cycles, since we a pretty obvious one every year. Climate change is natural, but there are also obvious effects that humans have on the climate by altering the environment.

In my opinion environmentalism should be about promoting responsible stewardship of the planet, not fear-mongering and lobbying for legislation.

And to respond to the OP, just because emissions are concentrated in China, it does not mean that the effects of those emissions will be felt in China.

Example: Japan's nuclear junk from Fukushima is washing up on Hawaii and the West coast of the US, and I'm sure plenty of our trash is washing up on their shores as well.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

But what is the cause of these cycles. If there are a lot of forest fires around the world it causes things to warm up but eventually causes an ice age. That's a cycle. If an asteroid hits the earth it delivers energy to the crust and could cause earthquakes and volcanic activity to form. The volcano puts fluoride in the atmosphere which cools things down a little. If enough volcanoes erupt than it creates an ice age. Not all volcanoes contain a lot of fluoride though so it could be hard to predict these things. The earth takes time to respond to what we do, it's not something that happens in a year. We have been increasing bad activity worldwide for quite a few years now. This is really going to kick us in the butt.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wagnificent

I like your part about responsible stewardship so I gave you a star. We can't only worry about CO2 gasses although we do have to start reducing it instead of increasing it. It's everything put together that counts. Stop using toxic chemicals that wind up in the environment. Start making things to last longer so we don't have to rebuy them in a little while(planned obsolescence). Quit tearing down better built buildings and replacing them with junk. Fix up some of these things instead. etc...... It's all about allowable environmental risk evaluation and including in this evaluation whether it is really needed or if it's just profitable and grows the economy. The Economy doesn't have to grow, it can stay the same. This isn't a competition to see who's Economy is the best. Why make a competition out of everything.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join