It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Weather: Get Ready to See More of it, Scientists say

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Most people who like the subject of climate and space just KNOW what Richard means when he says that solar activity Will be much higher. His quotes I quoted are not solely about GPS. In order to understand this yourself you need to do more research and not be such a thorn trying to understand something you dont. Educate yourself and then go back and read the quotes I quoted. Maybe you will get it then and realize GPS is not the ONLY thing space weather effects. It effects our climate ...plain and simple. Richards quote about human history is quite telling to. The artcile speaks about a meeting whereas they will discuss the Suns expected activity AND factoring in GPS implications. Two issues they discussed. TWO! Not one.

If the GPS stops working, its dire.... No doubt. Whats also dire is the implications on our weather here on Earth, It goes hand in hand.

Neither of us were there at the meeting. If you are that interested though you could email Richard. Maybe he will tell you you were right. Maybe not.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Right now in cali where i live (not sure about everywhere else) the weather is really weird. woke up to the wind blowing the blinds so much they were falling. then this really foul smell, almost like a skunk. so i looked out the window and its cloudy and the wind blowing like crazy. this is very weird because yesterday (and the rest of the week) it was very hot, no wind and no clouds. but today it is cloudy (but sunny still) windy and very hot still. ive never seen weather like this and ive lived here my whole life. what freaks me out the most is the smell it really smells bad.

anybody have any idea what this is?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Im not denying that people discuss a connection between 'space weather' and actual weather on earth. I'm saying that the article you posted as evidence was actually specifically referring to its effects on electronics, satellites, etc, and made no mention of its effects on 'earth weather'. Your post clearly attempted to imply it discussed the effects on 'earth weather'. That was an incorrect implication. If you are trying to prove your point, you should at least post evidence that actually supports your claims.

Also, there is a difference between 'reading between the lines' and misrepresenting information. You did the latter and called it the former.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Ben81

that why its so hot these days
felt my skin boiling a few day ago.. same sensation when i put my hands in the oven at 400
when its time take out the chicken

i speak about it in the End of Times thread (see my sig)
edit on 7/10/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

While I am sure most of us are not betting on the end of the world because "the sun feels like your oven" perhaps you should rethink your own position. The sun and your oven are two highly different things.

Maybe if you cooked more you would know

i put my arms quite often in my oven to check if my juicy meal is juicy enought

the sun sensation on my arm the other day was the same

Yes, but I am still trying to figure out how your oven heats up the upper atmosphere and ejects 95% of the radiation back into space.

And how does your oven eject excited particles from a nuclear process? Oh, it doesn't.

In other words, a solar flare has nothing to do with how your hand feels under the sun. Unless your hand is the upper atmosphere.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

reply to post by Ben81

that why its so hot these days
felt my skin boiling a few day ago.. same sensation when i put my hands in the oven at 400
when its time take out the chicken

i speak about it in the End of Times thread (see my sig)
edit on 7/10/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

While I am sure most of us are not betting on the end of the world because "the sun feels like your oven" perhaps you should rethink your own position. The sun and your oven are two highly different things.

Maybe if you cooked more you would know

i put my arms quite often in my oven to check if my juicy meal is juicy enought

the sun sensation on my arm the other day was the same

Yes, but I am still trying to figure out how your oven heats up the upper atmosphere and ejects 95% of the radiation back into space.

And how does your oven eject excited particles from a nuclear process? Oh, it doesn't.

In other words, a solar flare has nothing to do with how your hand feels under the sun. Unless your hand is the upper atmosphere.

Point Taken !

The Sun is way more dangerous then my oven

but still i wouldnt keep my arm there .. 3-4 second is enought or my skin will burn

the sun well .. same thing but on a more longer period of time
i had 2 big sunburn on the beach of South Carolina
first time it was on my feet .. couldnt walk anymore lol
second time was on the upper body .. it was so painfull to sleep

thats what happen these day when you stay under the sun for not even an hrs
and when you get a sunburn that hurt .. has soon the sun light touch you there
it feel like the skin was boiling

it is so dangerous to be under the sun to long now
be sure you bring a big umbrella lol

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
For the first time ever, I'm under a tornado watch. And I'm an hour north of Edmonton.

From the weather network for my area:

Details Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms over East Central Alberta later this afternoon. If these thunderstorms do develop it is possible that areas to the northeast of the capital could see isolated tornadoes. These conditions will persist into the evening.

I heard they had flooding rains in Edmonton last night, and wind strong enough to blow manhole covers around.
Not normal for this far north. I'm used to calm weather....
I didn't think they had tornadoes way up here. I just moved here 2 weeks ago, I guess it's time to look into creating a good shelter. I don't like the idea of the crawl space under the house, with the gas furnace :shk:

I went outside to try to put some of our outdoor stuff in the garages, and noticed that it's really hot, and too quiet. No wind yet, but the many birds that are usually around, are gone right now.

Hopefully, this storm alert passes without incident.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I love these kinds of posts. Here is a challange to all you internet savy, mega informed 20 year olds. Google this , "history's worst death toll"...earthquake, eruption, fire, drought, blizzard, tornado Hurricane, influenza, mass starvation, flood, battle, explosion, read and realize you have it easy. Now ARE the good times. Stop being afraid.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

For me and others I would think... knows what a meeting discussing solar effects would actually consist of KNOWS to expect more than GPS talk because the article mentions two subjects.... One is gps and the other is what???? You guessed it....... Solar activity ramping up and what to expect other than gps. The meeting would enable a discusssion about climate also. Again, its a no brainer. Since you have now gotten us waaaay off course would you like to finally comment on ANY other link or information I provided as there has been much more provided by me for this thread. All you have contributed is??? What have YOU contributed again? Will go back to see and I bet its not one iota. Lol

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
reply to post by steve1709

40% CO2? that would kill us! just checked via google, CO2 is 395 parts per million, that is less than one half of one percent, I'm not sure about your other figures either, I just don't have the time to go through nine months or archive reports from climate depot, I have read that arctic ice is thicker than expected.

I think it means 40% increase not 40% CO2

But I found the site interesting on some of its other pages. It was good enough for me to bookmark. And thanks for your other answer too Pikestaff.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

For me and others I would think... knows what a meeting discussing solar effects would actually consist of KNOWS to expect more than GPS talk because the article mentions two subjects.... One is gps and the other is what???? You guessed it....... Solar activity ramping up and what to expect other than gps.

Nonsense. Nothing in your article supports your claims. NOTHING. You are making # up and posting links that you clearly havent even read, or just dont understand.

Furthermore, the VAST majority of scientific opinion on the subject is that 'solar weather' beyond the effect of solar cycles,does not have any real, concrete and significant effect on 'earth weather'. Which is why you are stuck making # up. Because NASA doesn't support your theories, despite your claims.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Whatever dude... You win. Lol

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Whatever dude... You win. Lol

I know I 'won'. You have spent two pages re-hashing the same failed and flawed argument, without ever posting a single source to substantiate your claims.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

And.... What have you offered besides a pain in the rear? Nothing... Notta

Where is your links as I provided more than just the one youre stuck on. You are like a bug flying around my head. Lol

Now....

If you were to sit me down and teach me about solar effects to humans and the implications..... what do YOU think should be noted? What would you talk to me about ya think?

In THEIR meeting they were discussing two issues. One of them was SOLAR EFFECTS and the other issue was GPS! Read the article one more time.

Stay with me........

Now..... Does solar effects, effect our weather? Of course space weather does.... All space weather does as far as I have learned, including our Sun that gives us LIFE. It effects our atmosphere and more. Dont deny the obviois, deny ignorance.

Do I think we need to worry and freak out.... No!

Done for the night.... If you still wanna go back and forth and derail/ troll I will be back. :-)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Big rains in China leave 12 dead, 3 million affected. The storms swept across 15 counties and cities, causing floods and landslides. Floods have inundated crops, damaged houses and killed livestock. The disaster has caused an economic loss of more than 1.5 billion yuan (around USD 240 million).

Source

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Yes, it's easy to think that sort of thing. But then we can actually look at the data, and it shows numerous records being broken, often for years in a row. These arent just a hot day or two here and there, as tempting as it might be to pretend your anecdotal memory somehow refutes the hard data available.

In case you didn't know this has happened MANY times before. Still with all the temperatures records we have been having, we are NOWHERE close to how hot it was during the Medieval Warm Period, a time when atmospheric CO2 was at around 280 -290 ppm compared to today's 380 -390ppm...

Dramatic Climate Changes have occurred in the past which have brought massive floods, droughts, political and social changes, and even wars to fght for the few resources left.

History is, and will repeat itself, and no matter how much you try you, nor the IPCC, nor the UN will be able to stop nor even mitigate Climate Change...

I have posted this before. Scientists have known that dramatic Climate Changes wee coming our way since at least 1978, and the source is not mankind...

Title:
Is the solar system entering a nearby interstellar cloud
Authors:
Vidal-Madjar, A.; Laurent, C.; Bruston, P.; Audouze, J.
Affiliation:
AA(CNRS, Laboratoire de Physique Stellaire et Planetaire, Verrieres-le-Buisson, Essonne, France), AB(CNRS, Laboratoire de Physique Stellaire et Planetaire, Verrieres-le-Buisson, Essonne, France), AC(CNRS, Laboratoire de Physique Stellaire et Planetaire, Verrieres-le-Buisson, Essonne, France), AD(Meudon Observatoire, Hauts-de-Seine; Paris XI, Universite, Orsay, Essonne, France)
Publication:
Astrophysical Journal, Part 1, vol. 223, July 15, 1978, p. 589-600. (ApJ Homepage)
Publication Date:
07/1978
Category:
Astrophysics
Origin:
STI
NASA/STI Keywords:
Abstract
Observational arguments in favor of such a cloud are presented, and implications of the presence of a nearby cloud are discussed, including possible changes in terrestrial climate. It is suggested that the postulated interstellar cloud should encounter the solar system at some unspecified time in the near future and might have a drastic influence on terrestrial climate in the next 10,000 years.

adsabs.harvard.edu...

It was believed at first that the encounter with this cloud would take place from 10,000 -50,000 years in the future, but recent research states that the Solar System will be completely inside this new cloud within 100 years.

I have shown the fact that we have been experiencing changes already because our Solar System has been encountering pockets of this interstellar cloud.

ESA sees stardust storms heading for Solar System

PRESS RELEASE
Date Released: Monday, August 18, 2003
Source: Artemis Society

Until ten years ago, most astronomers did not believe stardust could enter our Solar System. Then ESA's Ulysses spaceprobe discovered minute stardust particles leaking through the Sun's magnetic shield, into the realm of Earth and the other planets. Now, the same spaceprobe has shown that a flood of dusty particles is heading our way.
What is surprising in this new Ulysses discovery is that the amount of stardust has continued to increase even after the solar activity calmed down and the magnetic field resumed its ordered shape in 2001.

Scientists believe that this is due to the way in which the polarity changed during solar maximum. Instead of reversing completely, flipping north to south, the Sun's magnetic poles have only rotated at halfway and are now more or less lying sideways along the Sun's equator. This weaker configuration of the magnetic shield is letting in two to three times more stardust than at the end of the 1990s. Moreover, this influx could increase by as much as ten times until the end of the current solar cycle in 2012.

www.spaceref.com...

December 23, 2009: The solar system is passing through an interstellar cloud that physics says should not exist. In the Dec. 24th issue of Nature, a team of scientists reveal how NASAs Voyager spacecraft have solved the mystery.

science.nasa.gov...

It is going to get worse before it gets better, and all we can do is prepare and adapt to the changes. But too many people have fallen for the claim that mankind can stop/mitigate these changes, and they are relying on state and federal governments to "help them when things get bad"...

But guess what?... They won't help you at all, the only one who can help you is yourself.

It is still not late to make preparations. Make sure you have AT LEAST 6 months of food, and a good water supply, or at least good water filters, as well as medical supplies. If you have any medical conditions that require medical supplies also make sure to have at least 6 months of those supplies.

Some of us have been warning you for almost a decade or more about this and the fact that it would get worse.

Don't wait for the government because they won't help you.

edit on 15-7-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Furthermore, the VAST majority of scientific opinion on the subject is that 'solar weather' beyond the effect of solar cycles,does not have any real, concrete and significant effect on 'earth weather'. Which is why you are stuck making # up. Because NASA doesn't support your theories, despite your claims.

Really?... what do you think causes the 4 seasons?... You think it has nothing to do with the Sun?...

BTW...

March 20, 2003 (date of web publication)

NASA Study Finds Increasing Solar Trend That Can Change Climate

Since the late 1970s, the amount of solar radiation the sun emits, during times of quiet sunspot activity, has increased by nearly .05 percent per decade, according to a NASA funded study.

"This trend is important because, if sustained over many decades, it could cause significant climate change," said Richard Willson, a researcher affiliated with NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies and Columbia University's Earth Institute, New York. He is the lead author of the study recently published in Geophysical Research Letters.
In this study, Willson, who is also Principal Investigator of NASA's ACRIM experiments, compiled a TSI record of over 24 years by carefully piecing together the overlapping records. In order to construct a long-term dataset, he needed to bridge a two-year gap (1989 to 1991) between ACRIM1 and ACRIM2. Both the Nimbus7/ERB and ERBS measurements overlapped the ACRIM 'gap.' Using Nimbus7/ERB results produced a 0.05 percent per decade upward trend between solar minima, while ERBS results produced no trend. Until this study, the cause of this difference, and hence the validity of the TSI trend, was uncertain. Willson has identified specific errors in the ERBS data responsible for the difference. The accurate long-term dataset, therefore, shows a significant positive trend (.05 percent per decade) in TSI between the solar minima of solar cycles 21 to 23 (1978 to present). This major finding may help climatologists to distinguish between solar and man-made influences on climate.

www.nasa.gov...

Although this research was done only for 24 years until 2002, other research demonstrates this trend has been ongoing since the early 1900s.

Although not documented here, it is interesting to note that the overall level of magnetic disturbance from year to year has increased substantially from a low around 1900 Also, the level of mean yearly aa is now much higher so that a year of minimum magnetic disturbances now is typically more disturbed than years at maximum disturbance levels before 1900.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/548546048a1e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c0bc3d5e611.jpg[/atsimg]

www.ngdc.noaa.gov...

Furthermore, your CLAIMS and OPINIONS out of a magic hat does not equal what scientists have to say...

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Call me sceptical, but when they (weather guys) can't even get right for the weekly forecasts, I doubt their veracity when they predict even longer term.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Just in:
Tornadoes cause chaos in Poland
One person died and five were wounded as heavy storms swept through the north-western part of Poland on Saturday evening.

Two tornadoes hit counties in Kujawy-Pomorze and Wielkopolska provinces.

More than 100 houses were destroyed and about 400 hectares of trees were felled in Bory Tucholskie national park.

Power lines were also brought down leaving homes cut off and train services disrupted.

BBC news Video

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I live in Dallas, Tx. So far the weather this summer has been great. Mid 90's lots of rain cool evenings in the 70's. Now last summer was a complete nightmare. Over 30 days with 100+ temps, and 60+ days without rain. My yard died in June last year, its as green now as it is in March. And yes i know its only mid july and it may get hotter, but so far i am enjoying the hell out of this.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

You are misunderstanding the subject. Solar flares are different than the suns heat. Solar flares do not have a significant direct effect on the weather. Weather and climate are not the same thing. The earth is not flat. The dingo did not eat your baby. Jesus did not ride a dinosaur.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join