It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Weather: Get Ready to See More of it, Scientists say

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

that why its so hot these days
felt my skin boiling a few day ago.. same sensation when i put my hands in the oven at 400
when its time take out the chicken

i speak about it in the End of Times thread (see my sig)
edit on 7/10/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

While I am sure most of us are not betting on the end of the world because "the sun feels like your oven" perhaps you should rethink your own position. The sun and your oven are two highly different things.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Ben81

that why its so hot these days
felt my skin boiling a few day ago.. same sensation when i put my hands in the oven at 400
when its time take out the chicken

i speak about it in the End of Times thread (see my sig)
edit on 7/10/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

While I am sure most of us are not betting on the end of the world because "the sun feels like your oven" perhaps you should rethink your own position. The sun and your oven are two highly different things.

Maybe if you cooked more you would know

i put my arms quite often in my oven to check if my juicy meal is juicy enought

the sun sensation on my arm the other day was the same

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Just found this

The Top 10 Global-Warming Facts

1. How sure? 90% that humans caused at least half the warming since 1950.
• From the UN's report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

2. How hot? 2000-2009 was hottest decade, about 1º F hotter than in 1970.

3. CO2 dumping? About 1000 tons/second into the air—2011 sets the record.

4. CO2 level? Highest in 650,000 years. 11% increase till 1950, now 40%.

5. Sea level? About 1 inch rise so far, but it could get serious by 2100.

6. China? Emits about 40% more CO2 than the US.

7. Impact? When Earth was 9ºF cooler, ice over NY City was 2000 feet thick.
• There is a decent chance the Earth will get 9º F hotter by the 2100.

8. Cost? A 20% reduction is cheap: about $0.16 per person per day.
• Assumes a $30/ton CO2 tax would work after a few years.
• Assumes the environmentalists do not abscond with the revenues.

9. The problem? US and China need to cooperate.
• If they cooperated, it's almost sure the Europe, Australia, Japan, and India would go along.

10. Why failure? Environmentalists use scare tactics and command & control.
• The biggest mistake has been for the rich countries to try to cap the poor countries.
• The US and Europe tried to cap India at the level of emissions (per person) of the US sometime before 1850.
• Contrary to environmentalists, caps are not the only way. Economists don't even think they are the best form of commitment.

Why Worry?

As the deniers say, the science is unsettled. We don't know for sure. It might not be terrible. But the same goes for your house catching fire, a terrorist attack, or a heart attack. So we take precautions and we buy insurance. Science tells us all we need to know: There's a decent chance we are wrecking the earth. The idea that we should not spend even the 16 cents per person per day that it would take to make a good start on the problem, is not just crazy, it's evil. It's source is the greed of big oil and big coal, although most people are honestly confused. But it's way past time to stop and think.

Source: zfacts.com... don't know how to do it the snazzy way that others do on here. So Sorry if it isn't referenced right mods

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Many of you hit on a few very good points here yet i think we are hitting a culmination of events all at once here.

-The sun creates the weather, more solar activity creates more weather.

-We are entering the galactic center where space is less dense, and since energy moves at the path of least resistance we could be encountering a galactic wake of sorts further ramping up solar activity on the atomic level.

-And the shuman waves frequency has been on the untick since at least 1971 accelerating in repetition at break neck speed which also has to do with the harmonics of our cells and the cells of everything around us.

-Then theres the magnetic shielding of the earth being penetrated by the suns solar waves allowing more energetic particles to pass through thus heating up the atmosphere at a considerably higher rate.

(I will add some links at the bottom that further explain what im getting into about the sun, granted it goes to one site, yet i trust most of the source material found there.)

-There has even been a connection found with the suns magnectic bands intertwining with the earths magnetosphere that opens up a portal of sorts which allows for more solar material to pass directly into the earths atmosphere....again heating us up.

-The oceans of the earth have been sucking up the Co2 at an alarming rate also contibuting to the mass die offs of fish, and when you consider that the deep water horizen well was never truely sealed off it may very well still be leaking crap into the ocean contributing to the die offs and altering the Thermohaline current (which also contributes to weather patterns)

-The jet stream has been in a twist for the better part of a year now. Often forming eddies where none have existed before and splitting into 2 fronts of the upper level pattern making what is normal cool, hot, and what is noramally hot, cool....wet...dry vice versa.

-Then you have weather manipulation being done all over the place at different parts of the earth at different methods from cloud seeding to microwave technology to alter cloud formation and water retention. This greatly changes the density of the clouds and the way they form naturally creating greater anomaly within the weather.

Point is, there is many contributing factors to what we are currently experiencing. Will it get better? i dont know. Is it only a hiccup that we will see go away and write down in the record books? Maybe

yet what if this is a red flag of what is yet to come? It is certainly not all man made in any respect however...we are just a drop in the bucket.

Solar magnetic measurement study
Magnetic Solar portals with earth
Ocean changes info
Methane leaking into the atmosphere
Of related interest
Gulf oil spill related
Solar storm effects

i could go on and on, and if you scour that web site im linking to, it complies most of what your lookiing for in regard to instances of global climate change and geographic disturbance. Much of what I find there is solid info with solid links.

Do understand that the information I put here is soley based on my understanding of such. I could be wrong, yet i don't think Im off by much if any. There is still much we dont know, and if someone does have a clue..he aint talkin. i stand to reckon this goes a little beyond normal physics in every sense of how we understand it to be.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Here are a couple of new severe weather stories from today:

Western Pacific Weather Unprecedented Rainfall and Flooding Across Japan

and this one is from my home state of South Australia today:

ABC News Boy hit by lightning as storms strike Adelaide

Floods in South Africa effect 30,000
Japan floods force thousands to leave homes BBC news VIDEO
edit on 12-7-2012 by R6A6W6 because: Added even more links

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Sorry but I have to say this. Everyone who's laughing about the weather now will be crying shortly. Especially when there are no food crops left to eat.
Its not just America you know, its the entire world has gone nuts. I can't understand the silence echoing through this thread right now.
edit on 12-7-2012 by R6A6W6 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-7-2012 by R6A6W6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Edgar Cayce said the changing of the poles starting around the turn of the century would be one of the greatest changes for humanity in the future. He also said it would take several generations to complete and that it would completely change the topography of the world with a general map drawn just of the U.S. We will have a new North Star which he said has happened in the past from a drastic shift of the earth's axis. I'm sure there are lots of threads on him all over ATS. He has his own foundation studying his predictions in Florida.

Considering he said all this back in the 1930's I find it funny that people see this as such a surprise. How can global warming be 1) real considering there are record cold temperatures in other locations around the world right now too and 2) man-made when a pole shift was predicted 80+ years ago and the poles have been moving rapidly for the last 10 now (well the North Pole is moving rapidly, the South Pole has slowed to a stop which never really happens and scientists don't know why this is happening.)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
A weather guy on UK TV last night said the two main theories about the cause of the dramatic weather were either the low solar activity or global warming melting Arctic ice and displacing the currents.
He said similar had happened during the Dalton Minimum
en.wikipedia.org... but assured us that the currents around the UK would go back to normal. Wish I had been in that studio. The Dalton Minimum lasted for around 40 years!
edit on 12-7-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by steve1709
Just curious and I think this is on topic, what's happening re the polar ice this year please someone?

According to climate depot, various reports state that north polar ice is thicker than expected, whether thats normal thickness because 'they' thought it would be thinner, or its thicker than what it usually is I will have to read the reports, and as I have been archiving climate change daily updates for the last nine months, it might take a bit of time.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by steve1709

40% CO2? that would kill us! just checked via google, CO2 is 395 parts per million, that is less than one half of one percent, I'm not sure about your other figures either, I just don't have the time to go through nine months or archive reports from climate depot, I have read that arctic ice is thicker than expected.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Nasa's head of the Heliophysics Divsion, Richard Fisher stated back in June of 2010 that

Earth and space are about to come into contact in a way that's new to human history.

He also stated...

"I believe we're on the threshold of a new era in which space weather can be as influential in our daily lives as ordinary terrestrial weather." Fisher concludes. "We take this very seriously indeed."

science.nasa.gov...

It seems that in March of 2009 the Obama Administration asked leaders for an in depth report regarding Planetary Changes and the implications. Google it, if you dont believe me. There were thousands who wrote and signed a petition that included Susan Rennison, Deepak, Gregg Braden to name a few. MANY intelligent people have been researching what is to come and the implications Space Weather may have on us here on Earth in years to come.

I dont think its no surprise Mayan Elders were known as " time keepers". They may have spoken about a serpent that is indeed not a literal serpent but a ring around the Earth and or solar system. This is also in the minds of our leaders. Mayan myth may indeed be foretelling. There is indeed evidence that suggests we may be in for a bumpy ride in the near future.

The best video compilation I have seen regarding what is going on is the video I can seem to link. All you have to do is google " mindblowing, what nasa and esa dont want you to know".

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
Nasa's head of the Heliophysics Divsion, Richard Fisher stated back in June of 2010 that

Earth and space are about to come into contact in a way that's new to human history.

He also stated...

"I believe we're on the threshold of a new era in which space weather can be as influential in our daily lives as ordinary terrestrial weather." Fisher concludes. "We take this very seriously indeed."

science.nasa.gov...

That entire link is talking about the sun's activity on electronic. It has nothing whatsoever to do with 'weather' in terms of climate, rain, warmth, etc.

The National Academy of Sciences framed the problem two years ago in a landmark report entitled "Severe Space Weather Events—Societal and Economic Impacts." It noted how people of the 21st-century rely on high-tech systems for the basics of daily life. Smart power grids, GPS navigation, air travel, financial services and emergency radio communications can all be knocked out by intense solar activity. A century-class solar storm, the Academy warned, could cause twenty times more economic damage than Hurricane Katrina.

2010 marks the 4th year in a row that policymakers, researchers, legislators and reporters have gathered in Washington DC to share ideas about space weather. This year, forum organizers plan to sharpen the focus on critical infrastructure protection. The ultimate goal is to improve the nation’s ability to prepare, mitigate, and respond to potentially devastating space weather events.

Originally posted by MamaJI dont think its no surprise Mayan Elders were known as " time keepers". They may have spoken about a serpent that is indeed not a literal serpent but a ring around the Earth and or solar system. This is also in the minds of our leaders. Mayan myth may indeed be foretelling.

Mayan Elders? You just lost all credibility.
edit on 12-7-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

So you are saying that the article didnt speak about our Sun and how it will effect us? Terrestial and space weather mean what to you? Come on.... Its a no brainer that it indeed effects us. Use google, its your friend. I can link you to so many credible sites with credible info.... But..... You wouldnt take my word for it now would you. Research whats going on.... Or dont. Up to you.

Also, If I lost credibility with you by mentioning the Mayan Elders then.... SO! You think I really care what you think? Lol i dont.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

So you are saying that the article didnt speak about our Sun and how it will effect us? Terrestial and space weather mean what to you? Come on.... Its a no brainer that it indeed effects us. Use google, its your friend. I can link you to so many credible sites with credible info.... But..... You wouldnt take my word for it now would you. Research whats going on.... Or dont. Up to you.

Yes, it effects us. But what YOU implied that your link claimed Nasa's concern with 'space weather' was connected to temperatures and weather on earth. But what it ACTUALLY talked about was space weather effecting electronics, satellites, etc.

You wildly misinterpreted and misrepresented the data in the article you linked to.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Yes, it effects us. But what YOU implied that your link claimed Nasa's concern with 'space weather' was connected to temperatures and weather on earth. But what it ACTUALLY talked about was space weather effecting electronics, satellites, etc.

You wildly misinterpreted and misrepresented the data in the article you linked to.

Evidently you WISH I did.

Did ya read the quotes? Was he ONLY speaking of GPS? Uh..... No. Think again, he was referring to how we will be just as concerned with space weather as we do terrestial. It was more than GPS. You read the NASA site much? I do and have loads of links whereas they speak about whats going on with our sun and how it will effect us on many levels. Its common sense really..... The Sun ( Plasma) effects our climate. Sometimes reading between the lines and using your gut instincts allows for more truth to soak in. Research Heliophysics.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I think its well known that Space Weather causes changes here on Earth in more ways than just electronics/ gps.

When you become concerned and begin to research it opens up all kinds of possibilities in regards to effects it MAY have on not only our Planet but us as a whole as well.

Here is one of many studies being conducted. www.ann-geophys.net...

And believe this.... CERN is not only looking for the Higgs Boson Particle.... It has more functions amd more tests being conducted than what we think. Research is key to understanding in my humble opinion.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I think its well known that Space Weather causes changes here on Earth in more ways than just electronics/ gps.

And yet the nasa source you site only talks about electronics. Hmmmm. Sorta like you didnt even read it before linking to it. Hmmm.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Evidently you WISH I did.

Did ya read the quotes? Was he ONLY speaking of GPS? Uh..... No. Think again, he was referring to how we will be just as concerned with space weather as we do terrestial. It was more than GPS.

Now you are moving the goal posts. You claimed your link talked about how space weather will effect earth weather. And yet your link only talked about its effects on electronics. You link did not support your claims one iota.

You read the NASA site much?

Yep.

I do and have loads of links whereas they speak about whats going on with our sun and how it will effect us on many levels.

Yes, mainly electronics, as your link pointed out.

Sometimes reading between the lines and using your gut instincts allows for more truth to soak in.

Oh, I SEE! I have to read not what the article actually says, but just make # up. Okay. Thanks!
edit on 12-7-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

And yet the nasa source you site only talks about electronics. Hmmmm. Sorta like you didnt even read it before linking to it. Hmmm.

I read it..... Read it more than once. GPS is of concern but the two issues they are discussing are GPS and the effects it has on Earth. Do further reading.... Or dont. Its not my problem you dont get it. Try harder next time is all I can say. Can you agree to disagree or you wanna keep going back and forth?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I read it..... Read it more than once. GPS is of concern but the two issues they are discussing are GPS and the effects it has on Earth. Do further reading.... Or dont. Its not my problem you dont get it. Try harder next time is all I can say. Can you agree to disagree or you wanna keep going back and forth?

If you cant cite one example from that article that proves your claims about 'space weather' having similar effects on earth as regular weather, then i will rest my case that you posted a link that didnt support your claim.

Will you admit to being wrong, or will you continue to move the goalposts?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join