It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Weather: Get Ready to See More of it, Scientists say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Extreme Weather: Get Ready to See More of it, Scientists say

www.cnn.com

A map of significant climate events for the United States in June looks almost apocalyptic: hellish heat, ferocious fires and severe storms leaving people injured, homeless and even dead.

That followed a warm winter and early season droughts. News came Monday that the mainland United States experienced its warmest 12 months since the dawn of record-keeping in 1895.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Ben81 End of Times Thread
Amid unrelenting heat, frustrations rise for tens of thousands still without power
What happened to the Winter in Canada .. It is almost spring and we had 3 little snowfall .. WTH

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
That is very troubling news but doesnt surprise anyone
People saying that all the worst is behing now are wrong

Russia are under heavy flooding .. the worst in decades
and in the west we have baking heat
the fire in Colorado .. no one started them
at some place it is so dry that it doesnt take long to burn
any metal thing or glass in the forest .. at this temp
it will make a fire .. probably more big fire will come
because of all the junk we have in the forest

Remember Hurricane Irene? Or the floods in Thailand and southern China and the deadly drought in the Horn of Africa? Heavy rains in Brazil caused massive landslides and much of Europe suffered through a sweltering heatwave.

The four classes of extremes -- high heat, heavy precipitation and floods, duration and intensity of droughts and extremes related to higher sea levels -- have changed in the last 50 years, Field said.

"Increasingly, we are loading the dice towards these very damaging kinds of extremes," he said.

But that's not to say every weather event is related to warming temperatures.

Southern Greenland, northern Russia, and the eastern two-thirds of North America have felt the greatest warmth in 2012, but many places -- Alaska, Mongolia and most of Australia -- have been cool anomalies.

Like many have predicted .. 2012 would be a eventfull yrs
we just need to hold on to our hats ladies and gentlemen

Always stay in a cool zone and dont force your body
working with this heat can kill
Be safe during the troubling time ahead
protect and help anyone in need

Godspeed

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7/10/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
OMG really?
yeah they said this stuff like 3 years ago
and now that we have hot weather and drought they will listen L O L

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
OMG really?
yeah they said this stuff like 3 years ago
and now that we have hot weather and drought they will listen L O L

I like when they say

A map of significant climate events for the United States in June looks almost apocalyptic

Are they finally trying to tell us something

edit on 7/10/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The Earth is going through its heat cycle. Every time the sun goes through cycles so does the Earth.
Yes 2012 is going to be an interesting one weather wise but not anything to freak out about.
Be cautious when you go out in the sun, if you were sunscreen it doesn't mean you can be in the sun for a long time. Sunscreen actually increases the risk of getting cancer because when you burn it's your body telling you to get out of the sun. With sunscreen you aren't getting that same warning to get out of the sun.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
On the bright side, we haven't had a major hurricane season in years.

I'm fairly young (43) but when I was growing up we called weather like this a hot spell or cold spell, we dealt with it and moved on. I actually remember it getting to 100 degrees in North Dakota one summer, and people sure talked about it, but nothing too crazy, and they took it in stride. No freaking out like they are doing now a days.

Global Warming? What a joke.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

yeah, like i said. the science panel stated this was going to become
the norm (extreem weather patterns) a few years ago.
and here we are.. in the middle of the "weird"weather..
funny stuff

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

I'm fairly young (43) but when I was growing up we called weather like this a hot spell or cold spell, we dealt with it and moved on. I actually remember it getting to 100 degrees in North Dakota one summer, and people sure talked about it, but nothing too crazy, and they took it in stride. No freaking out like they are doing now a days.

But isn't that primarily based on your local view from Texas? How do we account for the record breaking conditions globally? One thing seems fairly certain, whatever you put it down to, solar cycles, global warming or what have you, it's going to really effect the price of food in the near future. We're structured economically on given weather patterns that appear to be going sideways. The question in my mind is can we, or even are we capable of adapting to these changes?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Yes, it's easy to think that sort of thing. But then we can actually look at the data, and it shows numerous records being broken, often for years in a row. These arent just a hot day or two here and there, as tempting as it might be to pretend your anecdotal memory somehow refutes the hard data available.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse

But isn't that primarily based on your local view from Texas? How do we account for the record breaking conditions globally? One thing seems fairly certain, whatever you put it down to, solar cycles, global warming or what have you, it's going to really effect the price of food in the near future. We're structured economically on given weather patterns that appear to be going sideways. The question in my mind is can we, or even are we capable of adapting to these changes?

some of us will be able to adapt, others will not. It's just like it's always been with life on Earth.
if i remember correctly we are over do for an ice age.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by knoledgeispower

some of us will be able to adapt, others will not. It's just like it's always been with life on Earth.

I guess you're right, some will come through this without a scratch...The bunnies have flourished like never before. Had this happened 500 years ago we'd have barely noticed the losses.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by knoledgeispower

Need to start adapting now like making food and water reserve
with a good BoB

Just in case

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

with a good BoB

Just in case

Adapting to long term changes in the climate will involve a LOT more than a pantry of food and water and a BoB. Think generations, not weeks.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The mass animal death that keep happening for 2 yrs is explained

The extreme weather disolve the oxygen levels

Hot Weather Sends Thousands of Fish to Their Graves

Fish are showing up dead by the thousands on shores across the United States. Scientists say high temperatures leading to low dissolved oxygen levels and excessive microscopic algae bloom are the likely causes of some 6,000 gizzard shad and 600 adult white perch deaths in Delaware.

Surface water testing showed dissolved oxygen levels low enough to be lethal to fish in Delaware’s Silver Lake. “As long as these conditions persist, there’s a chance of more fish kills in Delaware,” said John Clark, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) Fisheries Section administrator, in an interview with NBC.

“Aggravating this summertime problem, increased temperatures lead to warmer water, which holds less dissolved oxygen. So seeing more fish kills this year as the heat continues would come as no surprise.”

and birds are completely desoriented by the heat and magnetic changes of earth
since their internal map is now disturbed.. they fly full contact directly on the ground

So far the Pole shift theory can be ruled out
it would explain a lot
and during a pole shift .. earth shield are weak and can protect us from the sun
so we see a completely unstable weather
extreme heat in the US and Extreme rain in Russia

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

with a good BoB

Just in case

Adapting to long term changes in the climate will involve a LOT more than a pantry of food and water and a BoB. Think generations, not weeks.

The Bob can give you a good start at least
thats what i was meaning
after that .. you live day by day making sure you plan every move ahead

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I have to get up twice a night recently to pop the kettle on and refill the hot water bottle. Wearing layers of clothes now but it's not too cold atm - but god damn I'm sick of seeing it reach

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

with a good BoB

Just in case

Bob's only good for max 72 hours. You need an inch bag. I've got most of one set, still need to make it complete.

Bobs are good if you intend on being found in a short time, you can't rely on the provisions for a long term. Day to day, hand by hand, you may as well not have on if you're only using the supplies in that.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

with a good BoB

Just in case

The Bob can give you a good start at least
thats what i was meaning
after that .. you live day by day making sure you plan every move ahead

Again, i think you miss the point of the original comment. One doesnt adapt to a long term change in the climate by going 'day-to-day. One begins building infrastructure in such a way that takes into account the likely possible changes. Earth ships that conserve energy, for example. Planting food crops that will survive in warmer weather. Pepping cities that are close to sea level, etc.

A Bob and the like is a way to deal with one relatively short, not entirely expected disturbance. Long term planning is how you deal with something you see on the orizon, that will be with you for a long period of time.

Yr bug out bag will not help you adapt to climate change.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Star and flag.

You may find the posts and links in this thread interesting:

The Pattern Of Disastrous Weather And Extreme Swings: Will It Get Worse In 2012?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Just curious and I think this is on topic, what's happening re the polar ice this year please someone?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join